Dr Ted Naiman - the P:E (Protein:Energy) Diet

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find keto doesn't agree with you, if low calorie dieting stopped working for you or you've stalled on any diet, you might find Ted Naiman's approach helpful. Just been watching a great new interview on the book and his philosophy on diet for both weight loss and diabetes. Must admit, I find his approach way more convincing than the people who take "high fat" to extremes with bulletproof coffees, fat bombs and the like, but it really comes down to what works for you as an individual. If what you're doing hasn't been working, changing to his version of low carb might be the shift that might work for you. (It's also very similar in style to Dr Bernstein's approach of a high protein, rather than a high fat diet.)

The book is available via PDF only as it is self-published: http://www.thepediet.com/

I also recently listened to an interview with Dr Andrew Jenkins, a UK bariatric surgeon, who seems to have quite similar beliefs about dieting as Dr Naiman's with an emphasis on hormones, evolution, foods that hijack satiety, etc. His book and interview:

https://www.whyweeattoomuch.co.uk/about-the-author.html

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/234284-bariatric-surgeon-tells-us-why-we-eat-too-much.html

Edited by moderator to remove link to video which contains expletives

Last edited:
Reactions: Pasha

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those without delicate sensibilities who dare brave expletives, you can find the video on Youtube via the High Intensity Health channel, it's called "Make Protein Your Priority". Don't say you weren't warned.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was able to listen to the interview a few times. It's a lot to take in. And Naiman's book looks really interesting. I didn't pick up on the inappropriate language. Perhaps Mike Mutzel edited it out. Or perhaps I was more concerned with the information being discussed. Don't know.

Regained all the weight I lost in 2019, so going to begin again with re-losing those 10 pounds by walking more now that the weather is improving, skipping breakfast three to four days a week, and focusing attention on meeting my protein intake goals. I think Naiman is right, I probably need to reduce my fat intake a bit.

Since I started increasing my protein intake a year or two ago, after listening to Naiman's views on protein, I realized recently that for the first time in years I am now able to put weight on both knees while on the floor working with files on the lower shelves at the office with no pain. Also, no longer having problems with an intermittent "frozen shoulder" condition that's almost completely resolved now. Those both were unexpected changes and welcomed ones. The only change I've made over the last two years is increasing protein intake, so perhaps that's why. Who knows.

The interview was definitely was worth a listen, and will listen to it again next weekend to take notes. Thanks for posting this Indy51! :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Was able to listen to the interview a few times. It's a lot to take in. And Naiman's book looks really interesting. I didn't pick up on the inappropriate language. Perhaps Mike Mutzel edited it out. Or perhaps I was more concerned with the information being discussed. Don't know.

Regained all the weight I lost in 2019, so going to begin again with re-losing those 10 pounds by walking more now that the weather is improving, skipping breakfast three to four days a week, and focusing attention on meeting my protein intake goals. I think Naiman is right, I probably need to reduce my fat intake a bit.

Since I started increasing my protein intake a year or two ago, after listening to Naiman's views on protein, I realized recently that for the first time in years I am now able to put weight on both knees while on the floor working with files on the lower shelves at the office with no pain. Also, no longer having problems with an intermittent "frozen shoulder" condition that's almost completely resolved now. Those both were unexpected changes and welcomed ones. The only change I've made over the last two years is increasing protein intake, so perhaps that's why. Who knows.

The interview was definitely was worth a listen, and will listen to it again next weekend to take notes. Thanks for posting this Indy51! :)
Hi @Winnie53 i agree couldn’t hear any expletives and kept thinking they’d happen soon and never did!
I too found this excellent and interesting thank you for highlighting @Indy51 informative and helpful as always.
I’ve been upping my protein too and looking at my balance of fat intake - moving more towards a better balance of fat and protein but taking it slowly as maintaining weight rather than trying to lose weight but I do get concerned about my muscle strength as I age and think protein is helpful for me. So for example in coffee I’ve moved from double cream to full fat lacto free milk. Interesting to hear your results @Winnie53.

Reactions: Winnie53

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I listened long and hard in the Ted Naiman interview (many thanks for the link) @Indy51, for the expletives, but I believe it was a word that I would not normally asterisk outside of this forum! Or indeed consider an expletive. Very very cute that we are being protected from such a word. (I spent yesterday in a van for way too long with 14 teenagers listening to rap - my expletive geiger counter is way out!!!)

Lots of food for thought in the Making Protein a priority. It does make sense, and I have had the best blood lipid results when eating a Paleo diet - which was around 40% protein (10% fat? roughly?).

Hmmmm. Probably means an experiment on myself is in the making...

I really liked how Naiman boiled down food to energy - very interesting.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re-watching the beginning and am in love with "somewhere towards diabetes - or beyond."

Having a chuckle, in the area of 'beyond' :joyful:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also want to thank Indy@51 very much for the Dr Naiman link. It has already been a great help to me in obtaining much improved BG values . Mainly due to greatly increased protein intake and much reduced fats. I am now impatient to test these macro nutrients to their limits and see what happens.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone interested in other research about the importance of protein and maintaining muscle mass as we age, I'd highly recommend this new IHMC lecture by Dr Brendan Egan, "Muscling in on Healthy Aging" (hint, it takes resistance training - even if you can only do seated exercise and no matter how old you are; eating sufficient protein is not enough in and of itself):

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also want to thank Indy@51 very much for the Dr Nainan link. It has already been a great help to me in obtaining much improved BG values . Mainly due to greatly increased protein intake and much reduced fats. I am now impatient to test these macro nutrients to their limits and see what happens.
Glad it's helping you, @Pasha. I found the section where Mike Mutzel talked about the study regarding how long it takes a large bolus of lipids to clear the intestines and the possible effect on "dawn phenomenon" very interesting indeed.

Reactions: Pasha

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Glad it's helping you, @Pasha. I found the section where Mike Mutzel talked about the study regarding how long it takes a large bolus of lipids to clear the intestines and the possible effect on "dawn phenomenon" very interesting indeed.

Exactly what I found interesting and explained the unexpected rise in BG next day after a massive pig out on sour cream the day before.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The one thing that's throwing me is Naiman's negative comment regarding lard and tallow. I don't understand why he doesn't encourage its use. I'm choosing to remove seed oils from my diet. Makes me wonder if Naiman cooks.

Need to relisten to it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am completely sold on on this P.E methodology. What I like about Ted is that he practices what he preaches, both nutritionally and exercise wise. It is reassuring to know that as a Dr. he can also have mental and physical reference to 1000's of patient profiles, it is documented that he has had around 100,000 consults.

My experience is that now I am fat adapted, I do not require additional fat, and do not go out of my way to add fat oils (apart from cooking mushrooms in butter).

I like to grill bacon and air air fry or finish nando'ish wings, steak and kippers. I am probably still quite high fat due to nuts and some cheese, but prefer to drain excessive fat, especially from lamb. I do this, due to my visceral fat concerns, as this changes rapidly for me, and there was only a 6 - 8 kg difference between my 134 and 41 previously (HbA1c), and my belly was the major position for the fat.

I can do either 1 or 2 meals a day, and apart from today, all of my weight training PR's have been fasted on OMAD, so I can do leaner proteins and fats from cheese and nuts.

Reactions: Winnie53 and Indy51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The one thing that's throwing me is Naiman's negative comment regarding lard and tallow. I don't understand why he doesn't encourage its use. I'm choosing to remove seed oils from my diet. Makes me wonder if Naiman cooks.

Need to relisten to it.
He is a body composition man and is obsessed with marginal gains. Anything that could tip him slightly away from leaner muscle mass he cuts, so compared to the general populous he is extreme, but he is still a low carb person.

Reactions: Winnie53

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
His co-author on the book, William Shewfelt, is an actor and also obsessed with body composition for professional and personal reasons. Not everyone needs to - or would even be capable - of going to the extremes they do in pursuit of perfect body composition.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mbaker, I'm a fan of Naiman's work too. I personally would like to hear Naiman's wife's take on trying to prepare and cook dinners without animal fats or dairy. Me thinks there's more to this story... Wish Mike had questioned him more on that.

I want to download Naiman's book to my computer - (perhaps I'll find further clarification there) - but not sure that's possible. There's no information on the website of what I can download to, and during the interview he mentioned Kindle and tablets...so not sure how to proceed. At this point, I think I'm going to try to recruit my husband's assistance.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen Naiman post about his own food prep on Twitter in the past - he seems to bulk cook a lot for his lunches etc. He uses a bbq for steaks etc. Oven in foil for other things. It's all very basic. I don't think he's a foodie by any stretch of the imagination and takes a very utilitarian approach to food. He talks a lot in the interview about what he thinks is the perfect balance of 1:1 Protein:Fat in meat.

He's definitely not posting the kinds of stuff that some of the carnivore guys seem to post - what look to me like steaks boiling in saturated animal fat in cast iron skillets. I couldn't eat one of those if my life depended on it, tbh. I feel nauseated just watching them boil away :stop:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
His co-author on the book, William Shewfelt, is an actor and also obsessed with body composition for professional and personal reasons. Not everyone needs to - or would even be capable - of going to the extremes they do in pursuit of perfect body composition.
He's very cute though..

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a foodie, more a foodie wanna be. I batch cook too. On Sunday night, I prep my lunches for three days. Typically a tuna, mayo, sweet pickle salad with a few low carb seed crackers, along with raw celery, carrot, red cabbage, an ounce of a raw nut mix, sometimes a small portion of low carb fruit, and a little bit of dark chocolate. On the first or third day, I'll pull a frozen container of leftovers from a previous dinner. Tonight I made Skillet Chicken Florentine from Dana Carpender's cookbook, The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Six ingredients - (butter, chicken, garlic, spinach, cream, and Parmigiano-Reggiano, easy to make. Yum.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The graphics on the P:E book link are great. I really like the 'what you eat determines how much you eat.' - I believe this too, absolutely.

I'm going to have to look up what constitutes fermented dairy, though.