Newbie from Montreal ,Canada

Montrealer

Long story short.....11 years ago I used a similar forum to help me thru Aortic Heat surgery living with Coumadin for life.....now fast forward.......I’m pre diabetic for the last year and having problems with my morning fasting readings (15.5) I’ve recently went from 230lds.to 205lbs and it hasn’t help.....

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fasting blood sugar is often the hardest part to resolve, and may stay high for a while after post meal bloods are down into the normal range.

What are you doing to try to reduce your blood sugars?
What do you eat?
Do you test before and 2 hrs after meal?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Long story short.....11 years ago I used a similar forum to help me thru Aortic Heat surgery living with Coumadin for life.....now fast forward.......I’m pre diabetic for the last year and having problems with my morning fasting readings (15.5) I’ve recently went from 230lds.to 205lbs and it hasn’t help.....

Hello and welcome to the forum, I have just found a first cousin who lives in Ontario :happy:

Montrealer

Fasting blood sugar is often the hardest part to resolve, and may stay high for a while after post meal bloods are down into the normal range.

What are you doing to try to reduce your blood sugars?
What do you eat?
Do you test before and 2 hrs after meal?

I’ve lost 25 lbs since Nov. and I’m on a special diet.....I’ve dropped from 21.4 to 15.5 since January......maybe I need to be patient and let the process play threw.......I’m also on prescription drug of pre diabetes......

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What drugs and what are you eating in a typical day?

Montrealer

What drugs and what are you eating in a typical day?

sandoz metformin for 90 days or until I drop to 7.7.....oatmeal with berries morning.....chicken Breast with salad(olive oil and lemon juice for dressing and for supper yogurt(3 gr.sugar) with bran cereal with berries is a typical day........but get this.......I attend a whiskey tasting club a couple times a week (4 low carb beer and 2 shots single malt) and my reading is around 12.5 before and 9.0 after.......

Montrealer

sandoz metformin for 90 days or until I drop to 7.7.....oatmeal with berries morning.....chicken Breast with salad(olive oil and lemon juice for dressing and for supper yogurt(3 gr.sugar) with bran cereal with berries is a typical day........but get this.......I attend a whiskey tasting club a couple times a week (4 low carb beer and 2 shots single malt) and my reading is around 12.5 before and 9.0 after.......

I’ve lost 25 lbs. and counting sinceDec.1st

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often

Alcohol slows down sugar production from the liver. Oatmeal and bran are high carb foods.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve lost 25 lbs. and counting sinceDec.1st
Hi @Montrealer ,

You're losing weight, so yay, but the diet you're on is an absolute nightmare for your diabetes.... And if you're seeing numbers that high, I doubt it's still "pre", though we can't diagnose here on the forum... Time to get yourself back to the doc and ask for a new HbA1c, and read up on what diabetes actually entails. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <--this should shed some light and get you away from cereals and whatnot... You're doing extensive amounts of damage with blood sugars that high, and it's all the carbs you're eating that are hurting you. (Including your already beaten up heart and arteries.). Have a read in Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code, watch his (free) youtube video's, check dietdoctor.com (no need to sign up, lots on there is free) and this place's website, diabetes.co.uk (not .org!). You have a whole lot to gain, both in diabetes health as in heart health, if you step away from the carbs right about... Now.

Good luck!
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A liver can't multi-task. If it is busy filtering out toxins, which will always be its first priority (and it does regard alcohol as a toxin), it can't dump glucose into your bloodstream. Hence the lower numbers.

Montrealer

Hi @Montrealer ,

You're losing weight, so yay, but the diet you're on is an absolute nightmare for your diabetes.... And if you're seeing numbers that high, I doubt it's still "pre", though we can't diagnose here on the forum... Time to get yourself back to the doc and ask for a new HbA1c, and read up on what diabetes actually entails. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <--this should shed some light and get you away from cereals and whatnot... You're doing extensive amounts of damage with blood sugars that high, and it's all the carbs you're eating that are hurting you. (Including your already beaten up heart and arteries.). Have a read in Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code, watch his (free) youtube video's, check dietdoctor.com (no need to sign up, lots on there is free) and this place's website, diabetes.co.uk (not .org!). You have a whole lot to gain, both in diabetes health as in heart health, if you step away from the carbs right about... Now.

Good luck!
Jo

That being said I’ve dropped from the low 20s to yesterday 9.0.....5 weeks into my program......I’m happy with how it’s playing out.....I’m not new to this....been dealing for 5 years with this.......Summer time I’m around 5.5 due to working on a golf course....Winter I tend to over eat and I travel around the Caribbean.......my numbers are not that high anymore and I am seeing a Dr.every 6 weeks for blood test.....like I said......I’m letting things work out for the 90 days my Dr. Has programmed.......he sees my readings daily and I’m dropping daily......this morning my fasting reading was 12...... has dropped 9 points in 5 weeks.....bed time it was 7.0.....while I appreciate your in put I find that from friends also dealing with this I’m in information overload......do this....do that I also deal with Coumadin for life with dietary restrictions.....but thank you.......

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with the others - that is a lot of carbs. If your liver is processing alcohol it will throw your numbers out but racks up issues longer term, ie higher blood sugars later.

Any cereal is a lot of carbs, which your body turns into sugars. Most of us type 2s can only eat small amounts.
Have a look at Dr Unwin's slides?
https://phcuk.org/sugar/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That being said I’ve dropped from the low 20s to yesterday 9.0.....5 weeks into my program......I’m happy with how it’s playing out.....I’m not new to this....been dealing for 5 years with this.......Summer time I’m around 5.5 due to working on a golf course....Winter I tend to over eat and I travel around the Caribbean.......my numbers are not that high anymore and I am seeing a Dr.every 6 weeks for blood test.....like I said......I’m letting things work out for the 90 days my Dr. Has programmed.......he sees my readings daily and I’m dropping daily......this morning my fasting reading was 12...... has dropped 9 points in 5 weeks.....bed time it was 7.0.....while I appreciate your in put I find that from friends also dealing with this I’m in information overload......do this....do that I also deal with Coumadin for life with dietary restrictions.....but thank you.......
Can I make one tiny suggestion? This is all very overwhelming, and you're getting a LOT of advice, and most of it is contradictory, I'm sure. From professionals, friends, family, strangers on the internet... So here's my last 2 cents, and then I'll leave you be. ;) Honest! ;)

You can experiment. You have a meter. It won't try to sell you on one diet or another, some dogma, won't try to get you a subscription or make you buy books or whatever. It'll just tell you what your blood sugars are. I know that if I have breakfast with just 3 eggs, some bacon and grated cheese, mug of tea on the side, my blood sugars won't go up more than maybe 1.0 mmol/l in 2 hours and come right back down. I stay within the 4.5 and 6.0 range all day. I got my numbers down in weeks, not months or years... (Also solved my non alcoholic fatty liver, high cholesterol and a bunch of other things.) And I've been in the normal range ever since, going into my 4th year now. Took me 3 months to figure it out completely and satisfactory because I was experimenting a lot, but the differences were instantaneous. Why did I do that? Because I was inundated with loads of contradictory advice, was on medication that made me severely ill, and when I experimented, my meter told me that eggs with the trimmings were a lot better for me that cereal, for instance. (That would make me see double digits. Forget my usual lunch buns!). There's no pressure, no judgement, and no chiding from a meter. It'll just tell you what's what.

So there it is. The usual advice is to aim for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l between before the meal and 2 hours after the first bite. I find it an excellent rule of thumb to go by.

Completely up to you though... If you're happy with the progress you're making, fine... But you could be doing a whole lot better. If you want to. It's scary and overwhelming so i do understand if it's all a bridge too far. Just hope you know, you have options yet.

That's all. :)
Jo

Reactions: Serena51

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have anything to add to what JoKalsbeek has said, but just wanted to say "hi" to a fellow Canadian :)

Reactions: Chris26111980

Montrealer

Bed time 6.6..........this morning 10.7...... le sigh.......can’t seem to get the morning levels below 7.7........but that being said it’s a Hell of a lot better 21.4 at the beginning of the new year........

Montrealer

I don't have anything to add to what JoKalsbeek has said, but just wanted to say "hi" to a fellow Canadian :)

Hello fellow Canuck.....
IMG_2634.jpg

Montrealer

Can I make one tiny suggestion? This is all very overwhelming, and you're getting a LOT of advice, and most of it is contradictory, I'm sure. From professionals, friends, family, strangers on the internet... So here's my last 2 cents, and then I'll leave you be. ;) Honest! ;)

You can experiment. You have a meter. It won't try to sell you on one diet or another, some dogma, won't try to get you a subscription or make you buy books or whatever. It'll just tell you what your blood sugars are. I know that if I have breakfast with just 3 eggs, some bacon and grated cheese, mug of tea on the side, my blood sugars won't go up more than maybe 1.0 mmol/l in 2 hours and come right back down. I stay within the 4.5 and 6.0 range all day. I got my numbers down in weeks, not months or years... (Also solved my non alcoholic fatty liver, high cholesterol and a bunch of other things.) And I've been in the normal range ever since, going into my 4th year now. Took me 3 months to figure it out completely and satisfactory because I was experimenting a lot, but the differences were instantaneous. Why did I do that? Because I was inundated with loads of contradictory advice, was on medication that made me severely ill, and when I experimented, my meter told me that eggs with the trimmings were a lot better for me that cereal, for instance. (That would make me see double digits. Forget my usual lunch buns!). There's no pressure, no judgement, and no chiding from a meter. It'll just tell you what's what.

So there it is. The usual advice is to aim for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l between before the meal and 2 hours after the first bite. I find it an excellent rule of thumb to go by.

Completely up to you though... If you're happy with the progress you're making, fine... But you could be doing a whole lot better. If you want to. It's scary and overwhelming so i do understand if it's all a bridge too far. Just hope you know, you have options yet.

That's all. :)
Jo

Montrealer

Thank you.....and you’re right....while I know everyone means well and my head wants to explode with all their opinions.........everyone is different......I’m half way thru a program with my Dr. Of 27 years and knows my history as well as me.....I’m on metformin for the time being for 90 days and I’ve dropped from the low 20s to where I’m at today......I’m also shedding lbs. 27 after yesterday’s weigh in.......patience and I’ll be back working on the golf course in 6 weeks also.......Summer time I don’t have any issues with my levels....it’s the Winter that throws me a curve ball.........thanks for not suggesting another thing I should or should not be doing.......I have 5 weeks to go on my program and I’m very happy with my results......my target weight has been set at185lbs and only need 17 more to go

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.....and you’re right....while I know everyone means well and my head wants to explode with all their opinions.........everyone is different......I’m half way thru a program with my Dr. Of 27 years and knows my history as well as me.....I’m on metformin for the time being for 90 days and I’ve dropped from the low 20s to where I’m at today......I’m also shedding lbs. 27 after yesterday’s weigh in.......patience and I’ll be back working on the golf course in 6 weeks also.......Summer time I don’t have any issues with my levels....it’s the Winter that throws me a curve ball.........thanks for not suggesting another thing I should or should not be doing.......I have 5 weeks to go on my program and I’m very happy with my results......my target weight has been set at185lbs and only need 17 more to go
...It was just meant to give you an axe... When you can't see the forest for the trees and you need to know fast what is sound advice and what isn't, the meter is a good way to chop some of those trees down. It's not yet another thing to do, it's just a way to sift out the bull from the lifesavers.
*shrug*