What can I do with greek yogurt?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the percentage being given the fat content?
If so then lidl's Milbona Greek style yoghurt is 10 percent fat, 3.2 percent carbohydrate.

Reactions: EmmaorEva

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I paid a lot of money for some unsweetened greek yogurt, and I can't find a way to make it edible. I tried adding fruit, but the strawberries I bought were sour and the bananas don't provide enough flavor to penetrate 5% greek yogurt. What can I make with this huge, expensive tub of yogurt?

Search “flavour drops” on google, plenty of brands and flavours, they’re bloody brilliant I use them in all kinds of things!!! Not to mention, sugar/carb/fat free! X

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
I paid a lot of money for some unsweetened greek yogurt, and I can't find a way to make it edible. I tried adding fruit, but the strawberries I bought were sour and the bananas don't provide enough flavor to penetrate 5% greek yogurt. What can I make with this huge, expensive tub of yogurt?

I’m not sure what Greek yogurt you bought but this one from Tesco is good. I take a couple of big spoonfuls with a little mixture of fruit and it’s great.

Attachments

• A5CA522B-1B40-4E90-9883-6D0377CE3B92.jpeg
    A5CA522B-1B40-4E90-9883-6D0377CE3B92.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 309
D

Deleted member 308541

I sometimes mix a teaspoonful of pure peanut butter (no sweeteners, sugar, added oil etc) into a couple of dessert spoonfuls of yoghurt - that’s quite tasty.
When I was borderline diabetic years ago I liked vanilla yoghurt with Nutella hazel nut spread, a nice fusion of flavours...
img

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could if you had to, add some sugar free sweetener to it and berries, maybe some nuts. I'd avoid bananas myself as they are a high carb high fructose food. If you make smoothies, you can add it to those. I'd google for ideas as well.

Thank you, Tophat1900! I didn’t think of nuts. That’s a great idea!

I did buy some Stevia to add it and strawberries to the yogurt, but I'm not sure how much Stevia to use. Plus, the liquid Stevia I bought has a super-strong aftertaste. Is that normal? Or was buying off-brand Stevia a bad idea? :(

I did google for ideas. However, most of them were for savory dishes, and (I didn’t want to admit this “out loud” in my first post) I’m looking for something sweet. I really fruit on the bottom yogurt and was hoping to make a low-carb version.

As for the banana, I'm still new to LCHF and my pantry isn't fully stocked for my new diet. So I'm reticent to throw out my high-carb foods like pasta until I know how to make a varied and delicious LCHF diet. So far, I have about five recipes for home-cooked meals and several few supermarket salads that I like. That’s not enough meals for one week, let alone week after week.

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no sense in buying a low carb yoghurt and adding banana - there is no benefit from eating high carb fruits.
Maybe make a sugar free jelly and whip some of the yoghurt into it?
full fat yoghurt isn't normally very expensive - I get mine in Lidl or Tesco.
What is the 5 percent?

I'm in the US and use a grocery delivery service, so it cost me about $7 which, by the way, is much more expensive than flavored yogurts. The yogurt is 5% milkfat. It was hard to find. The majority of yogurts at the store were nonfat.

How does sugar-free jelly taste? I'm leery of sugar-free products.

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add some low carb sweetener if you want, use a smaller portion of yoghurt, and add some unsalted mixed nuts and seeds. Use it as a substitute for mayo in tuna salad or lettuce wraps. Make a curry and put a dollop of yoghurt on top.

Unsalted nuts are a good idea. What are some tasty nuts to use? What are some good low-carb sweeteners?

And I like the idea of using it as a substitute for may in tuna salad. I haven't eaten a tuna salad sandwich since I was a kid.

Reactions: Quinn1066

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd agree with a substitute for mayo or other dressings. If you like spicey food, a bit of chilli sauce, or a few finely chopped chillies, a squirt of lemon or ideally lime juice, Salt and pepper, and off you go.

You could add a dollop, instead of milk, cream or butter to scrambled eggs.

If you want something sweeter, you could add some sweetener, then grate some very high cocoa content chocolate and maybe a few nuts onto it.

Personally, I like Greek yoghurt and whilst I usually make it with cow's milk, so not strictly Greek, I love by yoghurt breakfasts.

DCUKMod: If I could make a daily breakfast out of it, that would be great. Right now my go-to is cheesy eggs and bacon. But I can't eat that meal in the morning on workdays because I'm paranoid that I'll burn the entire house down. I usually eat nothing or, even worse, a sugary Starbucks latte. ... God's still working on me.

Do you have any other breakfast recipes? Also, what brand and type of chocolate do you use?

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like plain yoghurt as it is, especially the high fat greek ones. It may be an aquired taste, in the Netherlands 'yoghurt' is plain yoghurt, and is eaten by many people just as it is, the ones with added stuff are seen as a fancy luxury, like sweets. I can imagine how yoghurt wouldn't taste very nice when your mind expects a sweet fruit yoghurt, plain yoghurt is a different product with its own taste. Something like red currants tasting good, but not when you're expecting the sweetness of strawberries.

I love to make a zaziki with yoghurt and eat it with warm dishes. This is how I like my zaziki:
Move enough yoghurt from the tub to a bowl to make room for the cucumber (I usually either eat that bit right away or share it with the dogs and cats, or put it in the fridge for 'later' and forget about it until it starts to look funny). Grate a half cucumber or more, peel and all, the peel makes it look nice. Squish it to get rid of part of the fluid (I drink the cucumber juice, it tastes quite nice or I give it to the guinea-pigs). Add a pinch of salt, some lemon juice or zest, a couple of cloves of garlic and a splash of olive oil. Mix and leave for a couple of hours before eating.

I eat it with all kinds of warm dishes but when I have a tub of it in my fridge I also steal a couple of spoonfuls regularly when opening the fridge for something else.

I try eating plain at first, and I wasn't a fan. It didn't taste bad, per se, but I did find it bland. I'm definitely used to low-fat sweetened yogurt.

I like the Tzatziki, but I don't possess the foresight to fix that for a meal!

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DCUKMod: If I could make a daily breakfast out of it, that would be great. Right now my go-to is cheesy eggs and bacon. But I can't eat that meal in the morning on workdays because I'm paranoid that I'll burn the entire house down. I usually eat nothing or, even worse, a sugary Starbucks latte. ... God's still working on me.

Do you have any other breakfast recipes? Also, what brand and type of chocolate do you use?

To be fair, "my" chocolate was recently thrown out as it had been in the fridge so long, untouched after a once in a blue moon shaving onto berries with cream. I'm just not a sweet gal (in any sense of the phrase :) )

However, in choosing chocolate, Lindt do some nice dark ones, or even Lidl and Aldi. If you posted a thread for that, there'd usually be plenty resources.

If you were to have cheesy scrambled eggs, made in the microwave, I reckon there'd be very little danger of burning the house down.

In terms of cold stuff for breakfast though, I might go for savoury.

I'm overseas at the moment, so my diet is a little different. Instead of my beloved yoghurt, I'm on hard boiled egg salad.

I hard boil 6 eggs at a time, then store them in the fridge. On my salad elements I have mayo, with some Sriacha Sauce stirred through. You could replace the mayo with yoghurt.

Similarly, you could do the hard boiled eggs, chop them up, then season and use the yoghurt like you would mayo in an egg mayo. That could be eaten with a fork or spoon, perhaps even with some crispy precooked bacon, or cold sausage.

There's nothing in the foregoing that couldn't be prepared the night before, and stored in the fridge.

Precooked bacon could be from M&S or the like, although, in my view, their crispy bacon is best.

Reactions: Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unsalted nuts are a good idea. What are some tasty nuts to use? What are some good low-carb sweeteners?

And I like the idea of using it as a substitute for may in tuna salad. I haven't eaten a tuna salad sandwich since I was a kid.
Depends on what nuts you like, I tend to like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, or as a treat macadamia nuts, but those are high calorie.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I buy mixed frozen berries, thaw them, to with Greek yogurt them a handful of low sugar/carb Granola. Delicious

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I did buy some Stevia to add it and strawberries to the yogurt, but I'm not sure how much Stevia to use. Plus, the liquid Stevia I bought has a super-strong aftertaste. Is that normal? Or was buying off-brand Stevia a bad idea? :(

I did google for ideas. However, most of them were for savory dishes, and (I didn’t want to admit this “out loud” in my first post) I’m looking for something sweet. I really fruit on the bottom yogurt and was hoping to make a low-carb version.

As for the banana, I'm still new to LCHF and my pantry isn't fully stocked for my new diet. So I'm reticent to throw out my high-carb foods like pasta until I know how to make a varied and delicious LCHF diet. So far, I have about five recipes for home-cooked meals and several few supermarket salads that I like. That’s not enough meals for one week, let alone week after week.

Yeah, some people find they just don't like stevia because of the after taste, so it's a personal thing really. Blend up some berries and you could make your own low carb fruit on the bottom yoghurt. The nuts will add some crunch. You can crush em up if ya like.

You can always look at www.dietdoctor.com for meal ideas that are low carb. Pretty good site I found. Not sure what else I can think of at the moment. Starting out is tough, but as time goes by it gets easier and you get more creative with food as you learn which foods are a no go and which are good to stick with.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the suggestion of using yoghurt instead of mayo on prawns and added some chilli powder it was very good but I must remember that my chilli powder is from the local Asian shop and very hot !
Carol

sarahmorter2

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Definitely an acquired taste, and don't give up! Keep trying, your palate will change and most importantly - NOT ALL YOGURTS ARE CREATED EQUAL!!! Try others, mine costs pence and comes in a bucket from Lidl, or the full fat one from Aldi is nice too

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight

I add sugar free jelly to it! It's so easy, follow the instruction for making the jelly then add in most of a large container of natural Greek yogurt and hey presto it looks like blancmange. You could also use it to make pancakes. Look for recipes in the low carb programme.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Strawberries aren't very good this time of year, and higher in carbs than most berries, so I use raspberries with a sprinkle of Truvia sweetener if they aren't very sweet.
Or frozen bilberries, better than blueberries and delicious if heated first so the skin is just beginning to burst open - but also might need a little truvia.

Or a spoonful on top of a curry, served with cauliflower rice.
Stirred into a chicken korma with the coconut milk.
In mushroom soup.

Or try mixing it half and half with double cream?

I buy a 500g pot of full fat Greek yogurt every week for less than £2.50. Either Waitrose or Total (Fage) from Tesco/Aldi.

Ashteadlady