Should I make a doctors appointment?

Jconnor123

I had a blood test done at the doctors recently to measure my blood glucose and they said my results were satisfactory. At the time of the test I didnct feel too bad to be honest.

However, I have measuring my blood glucose at home with a meter, the glucorx mini ultra, and this morning in a fasted state when I woke up the result was 6.8mmol /L. Yesterday morning it was 6.9 mmol /L.

These are my symptoms:
Peeing quite a lot
I get a weak feeling in my legs plus an adrenaline rush type feeling if I dont eat for so long, usually after a few hours
Really bad fatigue -(sometimes find it hard to walk and do tasks if its bad, much improved by eating a meal every 2 to 3 hours or eating something)
Tingling feeling in both of my hands and sometimes feet
Anxiety

I'm 21 years old if that helps. They did a full blood count on me and said that was satisfactory as well, and they checked the level of antibodies in my blood which were ok as well

Dont know if its worth going back to the docs again? Please let me know if any more info is needed, not sure what else to right , would appreciate any advice , thanks
Connor

Reactions: Gannet

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blood test done at the doctors recently to measure my blood glucose and they said my results were satisfactory. At the time of the test I didnct feel too bad to be honest.

However, I have measuring my blood glucose at home with a meter, the glucorx mini ultra, and this morning in a fasted state when I woke up the result was 6.8mmol /L. Yesterday morning it was 6.9 mmol /L.

These are my symptoms:
Peeing quite a lot
I get a weak feeling in my legs plus an adrenaline rush type feeling if I dont eat for so long, usually after a few hours
Really bad fatigue -(sometimes find it hard to walk and do tasks if its bad, much improved by eating a meal every 2 to 3 hours or eating something)
Tingling feeling in both of my hands and sometimes feet
Anxiety

I'm 21 years old if that helps. They did a full blood count on me and said that was satisfactory as well, and they checked the level of antibodies in my blood which were ok as well

Dont know if its worth going back to the docs again? Please let me know if any more info is needed, not sure what else to right , would appreciate any advice , thanks
Connor
"Satisfactory" tells us exactly nothing... Could you get the exact numbers for each test? Always, as a matter of course, ask for your precise results, get a print out or access them online, if available in your practice. Your symptoms could be a multitude of things. We can't diagnose on here, but we might be able to point you in the right direction.

To answer the most basic question though, whether you should go back... Yes. Because if you're 21, you shouldn't be feeling the way you are, and they should help you figure out what's going on. But try and get the results back of all the tests done (most important one being your HbA1c!), and go from there eh.

Good luck!
Jo

Jconnor123

"Satisfactory" tells us exactly nothing... Could you get the exact numbers for each test? Always, as a matter of course, ask for your precise results, get a print out or access them online, if available in your practice. Your symptoms could be a multitude of things. We can't diagnose on here, but we might be able to point you in the right direction.

To answer the most basic question though, whether you should go back... Yes. Because if you're 21, you shouldn't be feeling the way you are, and they should help you figure out what's going on. But try and get the results back of all the tests done (most important one being your HbA1c!), and go from there eh.

Good luck!
Jo

Thanks. I just thought if they said it was satisfactory at the time of the test the result couldnt of been abnormal at that time. But I wonder if those tests I did at home while fasted when I first woke up are normal or not? If 6.8 and 6.9 mmol are normal I cant see the point in asking further questions about my blood sugar. If not I will definitely have to figure out why I have these symptoms

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I just thought if they said it was satisfactory at the time of the test the result couldnt of been abnormal at that time. But I wonder if those tests I did at home while fasted when I first woke up are normal or not? If 6.8 and 6.9 mmol are normal I cant see the point in asking further questions about my blood sugar. If not I will definitely have to figure out why I have these symptoms
There's quite a few people here who had "No further action" behind their test results... I certainly never was told I was prediabetic (and I would say "weeing for England" for YEARS, but I'm Dutch, so yeah...). So you really do need the numbers. Fasting blood glucose doesn't usually say much because there's a liver dump in the morning. It tosses some glucose into your bloodstream to help you get started for the day, so if you've had a bad night, the dump might start a little early, leaving you a higher than you should be. And right now your fasting numbers are a tad on the high side. Like I said, prediabetes doesn't often get mentioned, so you really, really want to know the exact numbers. And if you want to know some useful numbers, test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. That's where some answers lie when it comes to blood sugars, if your HbA1c is unknown.

But yeah, for now, your fasting is a little higher than one would like them to be. So you might not be barking up the wrong tree, but there's a bunch of reasons why it could be higher. A cold, restless sleep, nightmares, stress at work/home... So it's the food that's telling.

M

Member496333

Bit of a loaded question this one, as I think I already know the answer - did they test your insulin levels to see if they are high or low? Your fasting glucose does indicate some early dysfunction and your other symptoms do sound a little concerning. We can't diagnose, though. If you are unhappy then yes, return to your doctor and pester for further testing, preferably insulin as a starting point.

Jconnor123

There's quite a few people here who had "No further action" behind their test results... I certainly never was told I was prediabetic (and I would say "weeing for England" for YEARS, but I'm Dutch, so yeah...). So you really do need the numbers. Fasting blood glucose doesn't usually say much because there's a liver dump in the morning. It tosses some glucose into your bloodstream to help you get started for the day, so if you've had a bad night, the dump might start a little early, leaving you a higher than you should be. And right now your fasting numbers are a tad on the high side. Like I said, prediabetes doesn't often get mentioned, so you really, really want to know the exact numbers. And if you want to know some useful numbers, test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. That's where some answers lie when it comes to blood sugars, if your HbA1c is unknown.

But yeah, for now, your fasting is a little higher than one would like them to be. So you might not be barking up the wrong tree, but there's a bunch of reasons why it could be higher. A cold, restless sleep, nightmares, stress at work/home... So it's the food that's telling.
That makes a lot of sense thank you. I will start checking before and 2 hours after a meal to be sure. I have done blood tests through the day and they always looked normal (4-6mmol) but not done it exactly 2 hrs after a meal.. Just concerned is all with typical diabetes symptoms and having a family history of diabetes so just dont want to chance it really

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes a lot of sense thank you. I will start checking before and 2 hours after a meal to be sure. I have done blood tests through the day and they always looked normal (4-6mmol) but not done it exactly 2 hrs after a meal.. Just concerned is all with typical diabetes symptoms and having a family history of diabetes so just dont want to chance it really
Better safe than sorry. And with it running in the family, it's good to always be vigilant. If everything checks out though, do go back and ask for further testing. Vitamin D deficiency, thyroid issues, anything can cause crippling fatigue, so don't let it go. I spent my teenage years unable to get out of bed, just because my GP didn't know what to test for. So be a dog with a bone here.

Jconnor123

Better safe than sorry. And with it running in the family, it's good to always be vigilant. If everything checks out though, do go back and ask for further testing. Vitamin D deficiency, thyroid issues, anything can cause crippling fatigue, so don't let it go. I spent my teenage years unable to get out of bed, just because my GP didn't know what to test for. So be a dog with a bone here.

Yep definitely, its been the same for me .. They have checked some things but Ill get as much as I can get checked for like you say, because it could be something simple if they find it

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be something called reactive hypoglycaemia - where insulin is over produced and the blood gluccose goes down low. That can give feelings of needing to eat at frequent intervals, and as Hba1c is an average, it comes out at near normal due to the sawtooth levels.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Make an appointment, better to know then be left hanging with "Satisfactory", as @Mike D said, it's not an answer, you need to get results.

Reactions: Mike d

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely make another appointment and ask that your hba1c be checked, they may have already checked it so may be able to tell you the result. If not demand it.
It could be that you're prediabetic and knowing this could help you massively.