What is everyone’s thoughts???

Carl W

I’ve just read somewhere that apparently the Coronavirus is deadly to the elderly, and people with pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease etc.... is it me or should we be taking this thing a little more serious than some people think we should??

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking the same.. tbh i’m an anxious person anyway and i don’t even like getting a cold or bug with diabetes. I need to know what exactly we should be worried about or if we should be but i don’t know much

Reactions: Carl W

lindisfel

Expert
I’ve just read somewhere that apparently the Coronavirus is deadly to the elderly, and people with pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease etc.... is it me or should we be taking this thing a little more serious than some people think we should??
Yes it serious for those of who are elderly and have a number of co-morbidities.
I am 80 and have a number of health problems.
If one is in that state try and minimise your exposure

Last edited:

Carl W

I was thinking the same.. tbh i’m an anxious person anyway and i don’t even like getting a cold or bug with diabetes. I need to know what exactly we should be worried about or if we should be but i don’t know much

I’ll see if I can find what I was just reading, mentions something about in severe cases the bodies organs shut down etc, but not sure if that included worse case for people with underlying problems, diabetes etc or people in general....

Carl W

Yes it serious for those of who are elderly and have a number of co-morbidities.
I am 80 and have a number of health problems.
If one is that state try and minimise your exposure

Trying to minimise exposure to it will be easier said than done I’m afraid...

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm late 60's T2 COPD arthritis spinal cord tumours with a hundred toilet rolls and enough grub in the pantry to get me through WW4.
I'm in a small village in N Wales and ready for lockdown if needs be.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nope. It isn’t ‘deadly to the elderly’. That is a gross exaggeration that implies that every elderly person who catches COVID-19 will keel over, doomed to die.

The reality is that the older the person is, the higher their risk of death, and pre-existing health conditions are an additional risk. That is a very different thing.
Last time I looked at the stats, approx 14% of those over 80 who are tested and found to have the virus, later die - often of complications. This means that approx 86% of them recover.

in addition, it is likely that there are other people who contract the virus whose symptoms are milder, who do not get tested, and who recover without ever being identified as patients. I mean, we surely don’t believe that everyone is being identified. That would be unrealistic.

So, in answer to your question, yes, we should be taking this seriously. Sensible precautions. Regular hand washing. Use of alcohol cleansers. Awareness of our country’s protocols for getting tested, isolation and treatment. Special measures for those at higher risk.

But please, avoid spreading alarmist scaremongering that suggests every elderly person is going to die of it.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I dont have any opinion on it. A far as I’m aware it’s not found in animals. I know it is in humans but as long as you wash your hands and haven’t travelled to Italy or China etc... your unlikely to catch it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Nope. It isn’t ‘deadly to the elderly’. That is a gross exaggeration that implies that every elderly person who catches COVID-19 will keel over, doomed to die.

The reality is that the older the person is, the higher their risk of death, and pre-existing health conditions are an additional risk. That is a very different thing.
Last time I looked at the stats, approx 14% of those over 80 who are tested and found to have the virus, later die - often of complications. This means that approx 86% of them recover.

in addition, it is likely that there are other people who contract the virus whose symptoms are milder, who do not get tested, and who recover without ever being identified as patients. I mean, we surely don’t believe that everyone is being identified. That would be unrealistic.

So, in answer to your question, yes, we should be taking this seriously. Sensible precautions. Regular hand washing. Use of alcohol cleansers. Awareness of our country’s protocols for getting tested, isolation and treatment. Special measures for those at higher risk.

But please, avoid spreading alarmist scaremongering that suggests every elderly person is going to die of it.
Remember too this thing didn't just appear the day they declared someone had it.
Must have been there a while and travelling the globe and we now only get the fed the figures because we now know it's about.
Many people probably had it before it was announced and recovered from what they thought was a bad cold or serious flu.

Carl W

I'm late 60's T2 COPD arthritis spinal cord tumours with a hundred toilet rolls and enough grub in the pantry to get me through WW4.
I'm in a small village in N Wales and ready for lockdown if needs be.

Sounds like you have a plan already :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sounds like you have a plan already :)
I suppose I do but I've had for many years a fall back supply of essentials because I never know when me and the other half might be to ill to get out.
If it means lockdown we'll manage quite comfortably.
Even if it came to power cuts we have coal and logs to keep us warm and if necessary cook on.
The good thing about being old is we don't have to be anywhere.

Carl W

I dont have any opinion on it. A far as I’m aware it’s not found in animals. I know it is in humans but as long as you wash your hands and haven’t travelled to Italy or China etc... your unlikely to catch it

So let’s say I’ve washed my hands before leaving the house, I end up standing next to someone who does have it here in wales, (which I think at present is only 1 person) what good has washing my hands done? I’m going to catch it from just being in close proximity to said carrier?? ‍♂️

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It's no longer just in Italy and China but Wales England Scotland America France etc etc etc.
Heathrow Manchester Liverpool Birmingham Edinburgh Paris Frankfurt Amsterdam and everywhere else you can think of have millions of people on the move everyday from everywhere and did so before we even knew there was a viruds so it is everywhere now.
Stay away from crowded places.

Carl W

I suppose I do but I've had for many years a fall back supply of essentials because I never know when me and the other half might be to ill to get out.
If it means lockdown we'll manage quite comfortably.
Even if it came to power cuts we have coal and logs to keep us warm and if necessary cook on.
The good thing about being old is we don't have to be anywhere.

Well I hope it never has to come to that for you and your partner, but I’m sure you’ll both be more than fine, so far we’ve only one case here, I know there’ll be more, but hopefully not too much more,
This could be the first time I wished I was old and mortgage free, with grown up children and no where to be. Instead of having the mortgage and bills, two young kids and a job to attend to :)

Reactions: JTL

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
An old lady told me many years ago she has never had flu or a cold and she put it down to Vicks and Tiger Balm.
Crazy?
Who knows but I have for a long time now taken to putting some around my eyes mouth EARS and just inside my nostrilS before going out.
I also put it on before bed along with a generous splashing of Olbas oil on my chest and then .... two hot water bottles and under the blankets .... one bottle against my stomach one at the baSe of my spine and the heat creates a vapour bath for my nose and lungs .... like putting your head over steam with a towel .... feels great.
Does it work?
Well check out the individual ingredients on Google for yourself in the Vicks and Tiger Balm and maybe it just might.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Remember too that some who catch it will suffer no more than a runny nose some will have a bad cold and some will have really bad flu type affects.
I've only ever had flu once and it was seriously awful.
I was lying in a soaking wet bed changed three times a day.
I was hallucinating.
I could hardly breathe.
Tony Blair had recently told the British people that Saddam Hussein could get us us with chemical and biological weapons in forty five minutes .... I thought he'd got me!!!

Reactions: SalB and Carl W

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hong Kong warns residents not to kiss pets after dog contracts coronavirus
Pomeranian tested a ‘weak positive’ for virus after owner was infected, authorities say.
The Pomeranian’s owner was infected with Covid-19 but the dog itself was not showing symptoms, authorities said.
The Society for the Protection of Animals in Hong Kong said being infected was not the same as being infectious, and capable of spreading the virus.

“While the information tells us that the dog has a low-level of infection members of the public should note that the dog is showing no symptoms whatsoever. We have been informed the dog is currently very healthy and doing well at the quarantine centre.”

The world organisation for animal health also emphasised there was no evidence pets spread the disease, or even get sick themselves.
More here>> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-to-kiss-pets-after-dog-contracts-coronavirus

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hong Kong warns residents not to kiss pets after dog contracts coronavirus
Pomeranian tested a ‘weak positive’ for virus after owner was infected, authorities say.
The Pomeranian’s owner was infected with Covid-19 but the dog itself was not showing symptoms, authorities said.
The Society for the Protection of Animals in Hong Kong said being infected was not the same as being infectious, and capable of spreading the virus.

“While the information tells us that the dog has a low-level of infection members of the public should note that the dog is showing no symptoms whatsoever. We have been informed the dog is currently very healthy and doing well at the quarantine centre.”

The world organisation for animal health also emphasised there was no evidence pets spread the disease, or even get sick themselves.
More here>> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-to-kiss-pets-after-dog-contracts-coronavirus
JTL, your post is very large and very bold on my screen. Is that what you intended?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
JTL, your post is very large and very bold on my screen. Is that what you intended?
No sorry for some reason I couldn't alter my copy and paste.
Bin it or alter it I have no problem with that.