What is everyone’s thoughts???

lindisfel

Expert
Nope. It isn’t ‘deadly to the elderly’. That is a gross exaggeration that implies that every elderly person who catches COVID-19 will keel over, doomed to die.

The reality is that the older the person is, the higher their risk of death, and pre-existing health conditions are an additional risk. That is a very different thing.
Last time I looked at the stats, approx 14% of those over 80 who are tested and found to have the virus, later die - often of complications. This means that approx 86% of them recover.

in addition, it is likely that there are other people who contract the virus whose symptoms are milder, who do not get tested, and who recover without ever being identified as patients. I mean, we surely don’t believe that everyone is being identified. That would be unrealistic.

So, in answer to your question, yes, we should be taking this seriously. Sensible precautions. Regular hand washing. Use of alcohol cleansers. Awareness of our country’s protocols for getting tested, isolation and treatment. Special measures for those at higher risk.

But please, avoid spreading alarmist scaremongering that suggests every elderly person is going to die of it.
Those odds for the sick elderly are very similar to Russian roulette!.:);) D.

Reactions: Carl W

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
First death in the UK has now taken place.
I now have to consider self isolation as a safety measure.
No I'm not paranoid or panicing.
Tomorrow I have to take grandson for hospital appointment and then on Sunday his mum to a different hospital for one.
Keeping my eye on the news but being late sixties T2 and COPD I think it sensible to take precautions so I may well self isolate at some point next week.
I have a room with computers musical instruments www connection and even a bed.
I have an understanding wife and if I decide on the bunker mentality I'll be fine.
Warm dry comfortable and making and uploading my music.
I have everything I need to be comfortable and I have over the last twelve months struggled to come up with anything like a half decent tune so an enforced period of isolation might get the creative juices flowing again.
No I'm not a pop star just an old guy who tries to create sounds and then create music from those sounds as a hobby .... lots of books in my bunker too so I can hole up for a while ..... crazy?
No fortunate that I can make such a decision.

lindisfel

Expert
First death in the UK has now taken place.
I now have to consider self isolation as a safety measure.
No I'm not paranoid or panicing.
Tomorrow I have to take grandson for hospital appointment and then on Sunday his mum to a different hospital for one.
Keeping my eye on the news but being late sixties T2 and COPD I think it sensible to take precautions so I may well self isolate at some point next week.
I have a room with computers musical instruments www connection and even a bed.
I have an understanding wife and if I decide on the bunker mentality I'll be fine.
Warm dry comfortable and making and uploading my music.
I have everything I need to be comfortable and I have over the last twelve months struggled to come up with anything like a half decent tune so an enforced period of isolation might get the creative juices flowing again.
No I'm not a pop star just an old guy who tries to create sounds and then create music from those sounds as a hobby .... lots of books in my bunker too so I can hole up for a while ..... crazy?
No fortunate that I can make such a decision.
Very wise, your reducing your chances of exposure, perhaps if it comes back next year they will have a vaccination for us first, if we survive! :)
I am having to look after my wife atm because she's just had a new hip joint, so as her carer, I have to keep well for over a month and have all the exposure doing the shopping etc.
D.

Reactions: Carl W and JTL

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Very wise, your reducing your chances of exposure, perhaps if it comes back next year they will have a vaccination for us first, if we survive! :)
I am having to look after my wife atm because she's just had a new hip joint, so as her carer, I have to keep well for over a month and have all the exposure doing the shopping etc.
D.
All the best .... might sound old hat but keep washing those hands.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Fifteen million Italians on lockdown .... how on earth do you police that?
It's a quarter of the Italian population.
Some problems for us in the U.K that come with that .....

Coronavirus farce as dozens of planes fly to UK from Italy's quarantine zones with no checks
Despite lockdown, flights arrive from hotspots including Milan given permission to land in Britain

Not one check at the airports ..... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...dozens-planes-fly-uk-italys-quarantine-zones/

More importantly .... have you stocked up on pasta?
Italy accounts for 80% of Uk pasta imports – whether dried, ready prepared or stuffed. Total imports are around 300,000 tons per year and account for the majority of the Uk market.
eek.gif

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Tenerife which at the moment is one of the safest places to be. However I have made arrangements to come over to the UK at the end of March to see my family (they are all in UK). I am beginning to wonder whether or not I should go but I so want to see my sons, grandchildren and sisters. I am due to see both my Endocrinologist and GP next week so I will ask for their advice but as things stand I would rather get stuck in the UK with my family than continue to be here without seeing any of them indefinitely. (Hubby and I moved out to Tenerife January 2016 and he died in the October so am totally on my own here)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I live in Tenerife which at the moment is one of the safest places to be. However I have made arrangements to come over to the UK at the end of March to see my family (they are all in UK). I am beginning to wonder whether or not I should go but I so want to see my sons, grandchildren and sisters. I am due to see both my Endocrinologist and GP next week so I will ask for their advice but as things stand I would rather get stuck in the UK with my family than continue to be here without seeing any of them indefinitely. (Hubby and I moved out to Tenerife January 2016 and he died in the October so am totally on my own here)
It might be to late by then.
I'm told that the cases are doubling each day which means that the UK may well be in total lockdown by then.
Might be worth considering coming over sooner.

Doubling as in 1 one day then 2.
Then 4 then 8 then 16 .... that's a far more rapid and serious situation than it sounds.
There's an old story ... you rather me give you ten million pounds now or for 64 days I will put a penny on a chess board first sq and double it each day on each sq .... only 64 sqs on the board so ... 1 penny first day then 2 then 4 then 8 then 16 and so on .... ten million quid now or all those pennies at the end of 64 days?
The sensible answer is take the pennies because doubling 64 times will be far more than ten million quid in pennies!
Anyone work it out?
I have an answer but I don't have a calculator that can handle the numbers so I had to google it and the answer is .....
18,446,744,073,709,551,615 pennies .... anyone care to convert that to pounds?
Anyway that is the reality of doubling for 64 sqrs .... same for 64 days so I think the hatches will be getting locked down the world over very soonish to beat this thing.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
18,446,744,073,709,551,615 I don't even know how to say that number anyone help?