Corona virus

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If our towns and villages go into lockdown which is looking more and more likely or if one of you in the house gets confirmed as having it the whole family has to go into self isolation in that house .... one of you can't pop to the shops for everyone else or go visit grandma to check she's ok so do make sure you have a few weeks of whatever makes your life bearable for however many weeks it may be.
In this house we are always well stocked because we can't always get out or don't want to.
So no panicking buying needed here but we have been stocking up for a few weeks now as both of us here are vulnerable.
That microwave rice is easy .... it's already cooked so only needs reheating.
Tinned fish and bog rolls!
It can be longer than two weeks too.
If there are a lot of cases in your area people don't all catch it the same day so you could be isolated for a few weeks not just two.
Get what you're going to need/want even reading material and be comfortable and safe.
My daughter a few miles away is on those prepaid electricity and gas meters so she's put a hundred quid I think in each.
If you have a hobby stock up stuff for that too.
I read got books I try and make music and upload it ... got everythig I need.
That milk that lasts months with refrigeration is a good idea too.
I can manage fine without milk and don't of course need sugar.
Make a list maybe. and there's always home delivery but from what I hear that's already coming under some strain ... a taxi company might do it for you but I would imagine it'll be pricey.

Reactions: Marie 2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SugarBuzz - If you live in a house, or apartment, with outdoor space, you could skip to your hearts content, use an exercise, or static bike (I have hime on a static stand and can pedal for "miles and miles", watching iPlayer, or whatever.

If you do strength training, then more reps of lighter weights perhaps?

If you are a runner, then run earlier or later, with a view to encountering fewer people?

I'm positive YouTube will have loads of exercise videos that might offer up some ideas for exercising in enclosed space, if that's what you feel you have to do.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
@SugarBuzz - If you live in a house, or apartment, with outdoor space, you could skip to your hearts content, use an exercise, or static bike (I have hime on a static stand and can pedal for "miles and miles", watching iPlayer, or whatever.

If you do strength training, then more reps of lighter weights perhaps?

If you are a runner, then run earlier or later, with a view to encountering fewer people?

I'm positive YouTube will have loads of exercise videos that might offer up some ideas for exercising in enclosed space, if that's what you feel you have to do.

Hi. Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I am The World's worst skipper, it's just no something I do, or have ever done. Maybe I could try that 'static bike thing' that's been in the news recently (I forgot the name but i think there was an advert on TV with a one month trial)?

I was actually looking up any strength exercises you can do without needing gym equipment and with limited space.
I don't want to just do press-ups, lol.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Has anyone here actually eaten toilet roll? I was trying to figure out why I have been seeing photos and videos around the world of people buying mountains of it.

It's not the thing I'd be stocking up on in case of emergency. :playful:

Have I missed some secret new study? If so, what is it in toilet paper than can keep me going? And can i eat tree bark based on a similar principle, as there are many trees where I currently reside. :***:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Has anyone here actually eaten toilet roll? I was trying to figure out why I have been seeing photos and videos around the world of people buying mountains of it.

It's not the thing I'd be stocking up on in case of emergency. :playful:

Have I missed some secret new study? If so, what is it in toilet paper than can keep me going? And can i eat tree bark based on a similar principle, as there are many trees where I currently reside. :***:

It's about being comfortable not an emergency .... yet.

If all the shops shut down or deliveries become problematic and you can't get any wouldn't you be wishing you had?
This virus problem is getting bigger by the day.
America just shut Europe out.
Imagine how many businesses that will make go bust.
So we now have continental shutdowns or maybe shutouts happening.
We have troops massing on the Italian borders not to kill anyone hopefully but to keep the Italians from wandering into neighbouring countries.
You think the supplies of everything will just be fine you carry on.
I don't but haven't had to panic buy as we are always stocked up ready for getting snowed in power cuts etc so we just stocked up over a period of weeks on top of the normal.
No panic here just good old common sense.
Household stuff such as toilet roll and food soap etc are going up in price because of the current problems and that's the only way they'll be heading for some time so I consider my purchases a solid investment too.

Last edited:

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If all the shops shut down or deliveries become problematic and you can't get any wouldn't you be wishing you had?
This virus problem is getting bigger by the day.
America just shut Europe out.
Imagine how many businesses that will make go bust.
So we now have continental shutdowns or maybe shutouts happening.
We have troops massing on the Italian borders not to kill anyone hopefully but to keep the Italians from wandering into neighbouring countries.
You think the supplies of everything will just be fine you carry on.
I don't but haven't had to panic buy as we are always stocked up ready for getting snowed in power cuts etc so we just stocked up over a period of weeks on top of the normal.
No panic here just good old common sense.
Household stuff such as toilet roll and food soap etc are going up in price because of the current problems and that's the only way they'll be heading for some time so I consider my purchases a solid investment too.

That's not strictly true is it. America has shut 'part of Europe out' - The EU (which doesn't include the corona ridden UK) - which is ridiculous.
Furthermore, American citizens, residents and their family members are free to go to the States from anywhere in Europe, which again, in terms of spreading a virus is completely ridiculous.
It's just political posturing at it's worst.

In Spain (and other countries) big football matches have been played behind closed doors. Yet last night in Liverpool, UK there were over 52,000 crammed together at a big European football match - approximately 3000 of those were allowed to travel from Madrid (a known Coronavirus hot spot). So again, in terms of spreading the virus, it's ridiculous - picking and choosing events and allowing many thousands to travel from places where they have their own 'event lock-downs'. :facepalm:

Gross exaggeration or gross incompetence?

As for the prices going up. That's business. It's always been an investment to stock up on things that are non perishable.
Though, I noticed that last week, Morrisons in the UK actually had a special offer on Toilet Roll. :bag::playful:

And if you like a bit of Shea Butter on your bum, Asda have rolled (lol) back the price on those rolls by 25p.

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I think the UK because of the way it is ... n't handling this will be in for a huge long lockdown .... think I'll pop out and get more rice and tinned fish at the weekend.
I seem to have everything else books bog roll tins packets etc.
No snow in this year and no power cuts either.
Where I live there is no mains gas .... many houses don't even have mains sewage.
So I have plenty of coal and logs and bottled gas ready for the snow in etc.
You'd be crazy to live here and not be prepared for these things so my winter preparations it seems will be virus preparations.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
That's not strictly true is it. America has shut 'part of Europe out' - The EU (which doesn't include the corona ridden UK) - which is ridiculous.
Furthermore, American citizens, residents and their family members are free to go to the States from anywhere in Europe, which again, in terms of spreading a virus is completely ridiculous.
It's just political posturing at it's worst.

In Spain (and other countries) big football matches have been played behind closed doors. Yet last night in Liverpool, UK there were over 52,000 crammed together at a big European football match - approximately 3000 of those were allowed to travel from Madrid (a known Coronavirus hot spot). So again, in terms of spreading the virus, it's ridiculous - picking and choosing events and allowing many thousands to travel from places where they have their own 'event lock-downs'. :facepalm:

Gross exaggeration or gross incompetence?

As for the prices going up. That's business. It's always been an investment to stock up on things that are non perishable.
Though, I noticed that last week, Morrisons in the UK actually had a special offer on Toilet Roll. :bag::playful:

And if you like a bit of Shea Butter on your bum, Asda have rolled (lol) back the price on those rolls by 25p.

Yes .... I wasn't writing an in depth report.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Corona.jpg

Suzypooh77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables, arguments, being alone, my health
I’m worried in case we are confined to our homes, if I don’t work I don’t get paid as I’m zero hour contract (also a student) if I’m not paid how will I afford food etc. And how will we get our medication when we run out and will I go crazy spending 24/7 with my hubby in a wee one bedroom flat with no view, especially as I’ll run out of fags, he don’t smoke. These may all seem petty worry’s but I’m becoming obsessed. Also I’m studying health and Wellbeing in society 2nd year, one of our modules is epidemiology (the spread of diseases) so our lecturer did a class this morning on covid -19 and she made it seem much worse than a cold or the flu and said this is all going to get worse before it gets better as it is mutating as it goes along and it’s now a pandemic of massive proportions. Her husband is in disaster management and is stockpiling food for not if but when marshal law comes into effect.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I’m worried in case we are confined to our homes, if I don’t work I don’t get paid as I’m zero hour contract (also a student) if I’m not paid how will I afford food etc. And how will we get our medication when we run out and will I go crazy spending 24/7 with my hubby in a wee one bedroom flat with no view, especially as I’ll run out of fags, he don’t smoke. These may all seem petty worry’s but I’m becoming obsessed. Also I’m studying health and Wellbeing in society 2nd year, one of our modules is epidemiology (the spread of diseases) so our lecturer did a class this morning on covid -19 and she made it seem much worse than a cold or the flu and said this is all going to get worse before it gets better as it is mutating as it goes along and it’s now a pandemic of massive proportions. Her husband is in disaster management and is stockpiling food for not if but when marshal law comes into effect.
Stop the fags!

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please send a fag by post. Much appreciated lol

Suzypooh77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables, arguments, being alone, my health
Stop the fags!
I know lol I did wonder is this the universe making it possible for me to stop cuz sure I’ve tried everything else and it’s doing my head in

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Getting back on topic, which is the impact of Covid19 on Type One diabetics, the key will be making sure we keep blood glucose under tight control as much as possible.

If you don’t have one, get a ketone meter for your team, as illnesses like this will almost certainly raise glucose levels as we fight it off, and we all know just how quickly things can spiral when we get sick.

Make sure you have a good stock of insulin, ways to get the stuff inside you, testing stuff and hypo treatment.

Reactions: slikwipman

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I know lol I did wonder is this the universe making it possible for me to stop cuz sure I’ve tried everything else and it’s doing my head in
Took me years to stop so I know the struggle.
So glad I don't smoke now and haven't for a number of years so much healthier.
All the best when you go for it.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting back on topic, which is the impact of Covid19 on Type One diabetics, the key will be making sure we keep blood glucose under tight control as much as possible.

If you don’t have one, get a ketone meter for your team, as illnesses like this will almost certainly raise glucose levels as we fight it off, and we all know just how quickly things can spiral when we get sick.

Make sure you have a good stock of insulin, ways to get the stuff inside you, testing stuff and hypo treatment.

Ah yes the ketone meter :) they may give me one if I ask nicely but 35 years in and I've never had one, I'm in town later but don't really fancy a hospital clinic visit right now.

The football will be suspended this weekend I'd reckon.

Reactions: LooperCat

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w . I’ve never had a ketone meter. Was given some strips many moons ago but with a limited shelf life I’m not sure how accurate they could be.
I find that peeing in an egg cup and leaving it in the living room works well. If the wife asks me where the pear drop sweets are, then I know I’m in trouble.;)

Reactions: slikwipman

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Going with the attitude of not being afraid of catching it as I’m only 46 and will keep my type 1 under control if I get ill, The health care professionals will be required for people with a greater need, I know it’s easy to say but I find a positive attitude helps myself

Reactions: JMoli