Type 2 is not real diabetes .

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
This is what i get told because I am scared of the coronavirus , I am told by mother that it isn't real diabetes and only type 1 is . No need arguing with her she is 87 and can't be wrong .
It just makes me think I am of no importance and my health isn't important .
I know type 2 is a real condition but it just seems my mother and some others think it is some sort of pretend condition .

Coronavirus only scares me with two symptons shortness of breath and dizziness. I have a phobia of both and suffer really bad panic and anxiety attacks. The media are not helping me one bit with the constant news on it 24/7 .

M

Member496333

Yes. In my experience the majority of people seem to think that T2 is just some joke condition that only fat and lazy people get. Not that serious. Just two sugars in your tea instead of four. In fact many type 2 treat it like that as well :wacky:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what i get told because I am scared of the coronavirus , I am told by mother that it isn't real diabetes and only type 1 is . No need arguing with her she is 87 and can't be wrong .
I know type 2 is a real condition but it just seems my mother and some others think it is some sort of pretend condition .

Coronavirus only scares me with two symptons shortness of breath and dizziness. I have a phobia of both and suffer really bad panic and anxiety attacks. The media are not helping me one bit with the constant news on it 24/7 .

Hi,
According to what I've read elsewhere & on the NHS site, "shortness of breath & dizziness" are not symptoms regarding the early onset of COVID 19. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

You mum is around the same age as mine. To be fair my mum is blissfully un awair with Alzhiemers of current affairs..
My thought & concern if focused in her direction.

My dad was T2. It's the "real deal" as far as I'm concerned.

Just so long as your taking your condition seriously, @WackyJacky64 . Who's laughing.. ;)

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
According to what I've read elsewhere & on the NHS site, "shortness of breath & dizziness" are not symptoms regarding the early onset of COVID 19. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

You mum is around the same age as mine. To be fair my mum is blissfully un awair with Alzhiemers of current affairs..
My thought & concern if focused in her direction.

My dad was T2. It's the "real deal" as far as I'm concerned.

Just so long as your taking your condition seriously, @WackyJacky64 . Who's laughing.. ;)
Thank you , I am concerned about my mum cos she has asthama and had cancer and her age, but i spray the place with dettol daily and if anyone has colds or flu they don't visit. I'm sorry about your mum but sometimes not knowing is better I reckon, too much knowledge is scary just like what's happening with all the panic. Hopefully this virus will die out and we can all move on and enjoy life without having to wake up to the coronavirus news daily lol .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

...My lungs have been slightly burning since Monday. Runny nose to go with it. Sore throat since yesterday. What I have feels like a common cold, and a mild one at that, save for the burning sensation in my lungs. But it's somewhere in the background, it's not agony or anything. No dizziness, no shortness of breath so far. My blood sugars? About 1.5 mmol/l to 2.5 mmol/l higher than usual, so I know I'm sick, but I'm still in what is considered the normal range. No fever, no trouble breathing, so I can't get a test done by Dutch guidelines right now to confirm or rule out Corona, but I have a sinking feeling that it is. The lung thing is making me anxious, I don't usually have that when I have a cold, in spite of having asthma. So I act like corona's what it is, and take measures accordingly.

So far, so good though... Five days in and still alive. I'm scared, however. These are scary times, after all. T2 isn't a pretend condition, we are more at risk, no matter what anyone says. But I'm still sticking with keto, and since infections feed on blood sugars, I'm taking it quite seriously right now, because I don't want to feed potential pneumonia. That's basically the best I can do, besides wash my hands like a maniac all day, every day. Was supposed to go to an amusement park and nice dinner yesterday.... Instead we celebrated my 41st birthday at home, acting like our house was our own cat café, chasing our cats, Vicky and Charlie with camera's, and making lots of espresso's and tea's in the morning. A friend sent me a stevia/erythritol mix as a birthday gift, and I made a celebratory cinnamon/coconut/cream omelet with it for brunch. In the afternoon we dusted off the Wii and played House of the Dead: Overkill (talk about scary plagues, zombies are no joke!), and just had fun. Had a lie-down after dinner, watched an old Poirot episode afterwards... It was still a pretty good birthday, even if we didn't get to go to the Efteling or a BBQ restaurant with a fat cat walking around. (Been wanting to try that one out and thought my birthday'd be the right occasion. Oops!).

So what I've been doing: Trying to keep calm and carry on, but within the guidelines the Dutch got from the RIVM, and trying to keep my blood sugars as low as I can possibly keep them. Washing hands often. Isolating myself from people socially and all... I did that to avoid corona, but seems like I started too late or got it, if that is what it is, from my husband, so yeah... Now I isolate not to hurt others. Even if it is nothing more than a common cold, it's a scary time to have a common cold. I'm lucky not to have a job where I'd be missed, and no kids to worry about. Everything my life lacks is a blessing right now. So... Just make it through another day. Keep social contacts to a minimum. Stay away from crowded places. Wash hands pretty much continuously. And keep your blood sugars in check. And if it makes you feel better, avoid news sites for now. Or only check them once a day for developments.

Sterile hugs,
Jo, who's still not dizzy nor short of breath

Reactions: WackyJacky64

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of colds and coughs around at the moment - your symptoms don't match those reported for coronavirus - the dry cough and fever seem to be pretty diagnostic.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...My lungs have been slightly burning since Monday. Runny nose to go with it. Sore throat since yesterday. What I have feels like a common cold, and a mild one at that, save for the burning sensation in my lungs. But it's somewhere in the background, it's not agony or anything. No dizziness, no shortness of breath so far. My blood sugars? About 1.5 mmol/l to 2.5 mmol/l higher than usual, so I know I'm sick, but I'm still in what is considered the normal range. No fever, no trouble breathing, so I can't get a test done by Dutch guidelines right now to confirm or rule out Corona, but I have a sinking feeling that it is. The lung thing is making me anxious, I don't usually have that when I have a cold, in spite of having asthma. So I act like corona's what it is, and take measures accordingly.

So far, so good though... Five days in and still alive. I'm scared, however. These are scary times, after all. T2 isn't a pretend condition, we are more at risk, no matter what anyone says. But I'm still sticking with keto, and since infections feed on blood sugars, I'm taking it quite seriously right now, because I don't want to feed potential pneumonia. That's basically the best I can do, besides wash my hands like a maniac all day, every day. Was supposed to go to an amusement park and nice dinner yesterday.... Instead we celebrated my 41st birthday at home, acting like our house was our own cat café, chasing our cats, Vicky and Charlie with camera's, and making lots of espresso's and tea's in the morning. A friend sent me a stevia/erythritol mix as a birthday gift, and I made a celebratory cinnamon/coconut/cream omelet with it for brunch. In the afternoon we dusted off the Wii and played House of the Dead: Overkill (talk about scary plagues, zombies are no joke!), and just had fun. Had a lie-down after dinner, watched an old Poirot episode afterwards... It was still a pretty good birthday, even if we didn't get to go to the Efteling or a BBQ restaurant with a fat cat walking around. (Been wanting to try that one out and thought my birthday'd be the right occasion. Oops!).

So what I've been doing: Trying to keep calm and carry on, but within the guidelines the Dutch got from the RIVM, and trying to keep my blood sugars as low as I can possibly keep them. Washing hands often. Isolating myself from people socially and all... I did that to avoid corona, but seems like I started too late or got it, if that is what it is, from my husband, so yeah... Now I isolate not to hurt others. Even if it is nothing more than a common cold, it's a scary time to have a common cold. I'm lucky not to have a job where I'd be missed, and no kids to worry about. Everything my life lacks is a blessing right now. So... Just make it through another day. Keep social contacts to a minimum. Stay away from crowded places. Wash hands pretty much continuously. And keep your blood sugars in check. And if it makes you feel better, avoid news sites for now. Or only check them once a day for developments.

Sterile hugs,
Jo, who's still not dizzy nor short of breath
Happy birthday @JoKalsbeek despite the bugs of whatever variety.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
My 88 year old Mum says the same thing too. And she is a type 2 herself. Thanks for genes mother.

Reactions: zand