Liver Reduction Diet

awfyblether

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
I have been referred for bariatric surgery and have been advised to follow a milk diet for two reasons. First to show I can lose weight (I can see why they are sceptical) and second to reduce the size of my liver.

Much as I like milk, the diet doesn't appeal. I wondered if a low carb/keto diet could have the same effect on the liver? What do you think?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been referred for bariatric surgery and have been advised to follow a milk diet for two reasons. First to show I can lose weight (I can see why they are sceptical) and second to reduce the size of my liver.

Much as I like milk, the diet doesn't appeal. I wondered if a low carb/keto diet could have the same effect on the liver? What do you think?
I have no experience of this type of diet but I’ll tag in @ickihun who has been through the process herself and I’m sure can help you.

Reactions: awfyblether

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you eating a low carb diet? People who have eaten low carb/keto have reported an improvement in NAFLD.

Reactions: awfyblether

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I used to have a link to the Guys and Thomas's hospital pre bariatric surgery site that stated they tested for ketones whilst patients were pre-op. Unfortunately it has disappeared.

I'd definitely go for keto maybe with some fasting (the extra fat in the diet provides satiety so its less frightening than it appears) and then see how the weight loss goes. Do it for 6 months and you might not even need the surgery.

Edit to add how much weight do you have to lose?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Fatty liver?

Yes, low carb and or keto is the way to go imo.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Hi. Are you referring to the milkshakes or are you referring to the pre-op diet to shrink liver for access via laposcopy? Which bariatric op are you advised to benefit more from? Are you type2 insulin dependant or type1 with insulin resistance too?
I'm 9mths post Roux-en-y full bypass. I'm on very little insulin now mainly due to its reduction with weight loss and very close management of regular metformin which was previously not tolerated. Or any other type2 medication.
My C-peptide recently showed 761 of which it wasn't disclosed what it was pre-op so unsure if this has changed at all. I test my own ketones on a combined meter. I fund that myself.
Insulin production to benefit our health is mainly needed for those with a C-peptide of less 500. Regardless of how many fat cells which restrict the insulin pathway.
Myself I've been with diabetic symptoms for 43yrs. I'm still not a diabetic in remission. However I suspected 30yrs ago I had very good control. My type2 was GP diagnosed 18yrs ago via urine then a hba1c test.
I primarily agreed to my Roux-en-y because I was struggling enormously with being morbibly obese. This has in fact hugely improved alongside losing hundreds of units of injected insulin. So financially a nhs success. I still hv no regrets over my decision to hv the op. I'm still hoping to lose some other meds but none yet. My underactive thyroid meds remain unchanged too. I also still hv trapped nerves and their off/on very painful symptoms.
I was 23st before signing up for bariatric help. I'm now 15½st.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is proven weight loss improves fatty liver. From a low carb diet or a Roux-en-y operation.
Fatty liver can even effect slim outside but fat inside people.
We are all different so our diet has to be effective for our own personal needs.
Some morbibly obese peole struggle to lose weight when their liver cannot perform well. Some hv no liver issues due to alcohol and dancing and no diabetes.

I believe type2 is more a liver failure than anything to do with the pancreas. My extentive liver blocking results prove that for me and my body's need.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is proven weight loss improves fatty liver. From a low carb diet or a Roux-en-y operation.
Fatty liver can even effect slim outside but fat inside people.
We are all different so our diet has to be effective for our own personal needs.
Some morbibly obese peole struggle to lose weight when their liver cannot perform well. Some hv no liver issues due to alcohol and dancing and no diabetes.

I believe type2 is more a liver failure than anything to do with the pancreas. My extentive liver blocking results prove that for me and my body's need.

You are looking fab ickihun, so glad you're back and thriving and posting! x

Reactions: ickihun

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I once when in the Air Force was put on a milk diet of 3 pints of milk per day and lost 4 stones in 4 weeks it was horrendous as I was going through basic training at the time including cross country runs, drill practice lots of marching around and lots of other physical activities but I got through it and it did work.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Having had NASH myself, I very quickly improved my LFTs by eating low carb diet and taking vitamin E supplement daily. Coffee is also good for liver and I drink buckets of it. :D To be honest, liver doesn't bother me anymore since I've lost weight and sorted out my HbA1C.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just discovered today that my levothyroxine need has remained unchanged due to opioid use. If I can reduce opiods then less levo may be needed.
So effectively taking opiods isn't helping with weight loss. Mind u less walking due to pain doesn't aid weight loss either but if less weight on weight bearing joints for those with arthritis which does effect their mobility then a weight loss aid due to less opiods. Unfortunately or luckily I hv only mild arthritis in my thoracic back bones. More a trapped nerves problem for me.
Weight loss is very liberating for my mental health too. A win win.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sooooo keen to change to higher protein meals again. I've allowed a less stricter high protein diet. Although kept Yogarts in it.
I feel its the right time to do low carb, low fat again.
Still having pain which is still suspected gall stones or similiar. This is still in the medical world caused by fried foods. Of which I can disagree. I boil or steam, roast or stir-fry all my foods. Eggs are boiled or microwaved. I cannot remember the last time I had mayo. Meat has watery gravy. Cheese which has now stopped has been my only fatty food. Last scan showed no stones.. anywhere.
Sometimes I hv to hug my side with pain or upper stomach pain. I'm not convinced scan will show anything. I've relaxed WHEN it will be sorted out. I'll just keep taking the opiods. Humf. My liver enzymes was showing a good level in diabetes unit. I will ask at my next appointment what last 2 results were.
Ive often wondered if my liver struggles because of one of my parents suffering from on/off cirrhosis of the liver. Obesity which exacerabates fatty liver.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd love to know the scientific evidence for this 'milk diet' versus a low carb diet. I suspect the low carb would be better overall but that's merely my opinion as an amateur....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'd love to know the scientific evidence for this 'milk diet' versus a low carb diet. I suspect the low carb would be better overall but that's merely my opinion as an amateur....
In my experience the milk diet reduces weight due to less calories over a period of time. For some. They use that weight loss in the hope it shrinks the liver.
Milk will be low fat not full fat so again they use low fat method of weight loss (as a temporary diet).
For stomach surgery they like low fat as fat lingers in the gullet/stomach/intestine and can make surgery visibility difficult. It's to help with visibility.