Pump broke!! Help?

Coreylewis21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!,

Sorry for posting this in a couple of catergoruies but unsure which..

My omni pod pdm broke earlier today and I’m a bit worried. I were prescribed the omnipod in Manchester but I am now based in Blackburn and the doctors or hospital have not heard of the omnipod.

Luckily I recently got back up medication for novarapid and levimir which I were on before the omnipod.

I just have a couple questions to anybody who may be able to help.

I am however a little worried as I can’t get hold of my diabetes team as it’s the weekend and I’m only 95% sure of my previous bolus’.

I am currently on 1.4 automatically hourly novarapid via omnipod and which I think as far as I can remember (3 years ago) it were estimated including my previous levinir and novarapid which were either 110 or 120. Would I go back to my previous dosages which were (I think) 30 at night and 30 in the morning?.

Also I still have my omnipod on which is activated and still giving me a background bolus would I keep this on till I go to bed and then inject levimir?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Corey.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Coreylewis21 Please call your pump manufacturer immediately, they will have an emergency number and can courier a replacement within a day.

No one here can give you dosing advice so call NHS and see if they can get someone to call you back.

As you can tell it’s vital to have back up pens but also to keep a record of your bolus and basal ratios you can refer to at times like this. I would keep activity down to a minimum this weekend and set your alarm to check your levels through the night every 3 hours to let see how your managing, hopefully someone will be able to offer support in regards to your dosing levels too.

Coreylewis21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @Coreylewis21 Please call your pump manufacturer immediately, they will have an emergency number and can courier a replacement within a day.

No one here can give you dosing advice so call NHS and see if they can get someone to call you back.

As you can tell it’s vital to have back up pens but also to keep a record of your bolus and basal ratios you can refer to at times like this. I would keep activity down to a minimum this weekend and set your alarm to check your levels through the night every 3 hours to let see how your managing, hopefully someone will be able to offer support in regards to your dosing levels too.

Hi!, I’ve rang them and wanted £400 for a replacement. I’ve checked previous records like you said!. I’ll also take your advice and check every 3 hours I’ll be able to sort a replacement Monday for free. Thankyou very much.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Do you know why they wanted to charge you ? A replacement for a pump still under warranty should be free of charge.

How are you getting on ?

Coreylewis21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you know why they wanted to charge you ? A replacement for a pump still under warranty should be free of charge.

How are you getting on ?

I’ve no idea to be honest going to ring my team on first thing in morning. Woke up once in middle of the night with highs but corrected it. Will be okay for another day.