Still “high risk” for Coronavirus if health conditions are managed?

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
My workplace has asked employees to let them know if we consider ourselves at high risk of Coronavirus infection/illness. I was diagnosed as prediabetic last spring, but by the autumn by HbA1c was just below prediabetic range (after changing to a low carb diet, which I continue with). I also have high BP which is stable and managed by medication. I don’t know whether I’m still to be considered at high risk? Any thoughts or advice appreciated!
Apologies if this has been discussed already, I had a look but couldn’t find posts about this.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worry this may be taken out of our hands soon in any case.

Looking at the news they are suggesting an isolation of all elderly and people with "cirtain medical conditions". I hope that does not include diabetes broad brush

I think to answer your question only a doctor can give advice on this. On paper if your diabetic your in the high risk group so you may have to declare it unless we can get some further information on of they consider diabetic with X y and z.

Reactions: TinksMum and Hooty

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
When we get through this mess, then we’ll know for certain if we’re at greater risk. But until then, they’re just wanting us to play it safe.

The stress of this is weighting terribly on me. I went to the store yesterday a nervous wreck. I was able to get what we needed for the next week, but being out just made me nervous. And strangely, the market was almost empty of people. We’re in strange times.

mouseee

I messaged the gp about this on Friday as high risk members of staff are being asked to go home and stay there. They said t2s (me) are no more likely to get the virus and, as my blood sugars are well controlled there is less risk of complications. So NOT considered high risk.
I am also asthmatic but that's well controlled too although they said I may want to consider inhalers again at the moment.

Reactions: Hooty

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When we get through this mess, then we’ll know for certain if we’re at greater risk. But until then, they’re just wanting us to play it safe.

The stress of this is weighting terribly on me. I went to the store yesterday a nervous wreck. I was able to get what we needed for the next week, but being out just made me nervous. And strangely, the market was almost empty of people. We’re in strange times.
It is stressful! I just want to cocoon myself inside and eat the comfort foods that are no longer part of my diet!

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the replies. I’ve given my employer the facts as in my post, so they have the information. I don’t know how qualified they’ll be if they are thinking about making a decision about some staff not coming in to be honest! Just wondering if I need to think of myself in terms of being more vulnerable I suppose.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
It is stressful! I just want to cocoon myself inside and eat the comfort foods that are no longer part of my diet!
Just looked at hubbys stash of choc/biccys etc and thought well if this is going to kill me should I not just indulge ...then sense kicked in like how much worse it would be if poorly controlled bgs

Reactions: Robbity