Update: Newly diagnosed - now as type 1

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well 2020 certainly doesn't like things straightforwars eh?
Diagnosed in mid february as type 2 out of the blue, with HbA1c at 11.8%, 1 week later diagnosed as type 1.5 maybe, as c peptide level was 0.8 out of a range of 1.1-1.4 and HbA1c had climbed to 12.1%.
Put on 10 units of lantus a day but had a hypo by day 2, reduced to 5 units since then.
Finally found an endocrinologist who listens and understands the different diabetes types and had further tests done. Just had the results.
HbA1c had dropped to 10.1% (it has only been about 3 weeks since the last test, barely).
C peptide is still at 0.86%
Glycated Albumin was at 24.1% and doc said that's an improvement and tells him HbA1c is nearer 8%.

GAD was very high- 67.6 u/ml.
The doctor said it doesn't mean I will lose my own insulin production quickly, it isn't something they can tell as such, just the presence of the antibodies confirms a type 1 diagnosis.

On Monday I can go visit again and fill out the insurance forms and details needed to start the process of getting a cgms - most likely dexcom g5 (g6 was not approved yet in Korea but may be soon).
So, what a start of the year.
I don't feel as overwhelmed as I was at the start, I feel thanks to this community I was able to learn a lot and accept what is going on. Just hope my pancreas holds on to a few beta cells for a couple more years.

Edit to add: I guess since I'm over 30 that makes me LADA

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the group no one wants to belong too!

LADA is type 1. It is just slower onset when you get it older versus younger. You are in the honeymoon period where your pancreas still makes some insulin, but it can be erratic while it is. It actually is easier sometimes when it stops completely.

But it gives you time to learn and the first thing that will make everything easier is to learn to carb count so you can vary your insulin to what you eat.

Reactions: Sgathach

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you,
So far I'm only on basal insulin, so not much variation.
I had tried to add more carbs for more effect on muscle recovery and exercise energy, but after reading an old thread (Ian's thread about proving the doctor wrong) I think low carb is better with only a tiny amount to make sure I can exercise for 3h without going hypo.

I actually just read an article as well, talking about exercise as a means to protect beta cells, so I'm clinging on to that.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/exercise-promotes-preservation-of-beta-cells/

Not quite given up hope yet that beta cells can remain for a while, but happy to be on a bit of insulin to hopefully take the stress off those cells....I can hope :)

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I strongly recommend dr Bernstein’s diabetes solution book or at least his youtube channel. You will be alright as long as you put effort into low carb. I lowered my HbA1c from 124 to 42 mmol/l in 4 months with Bernstein’s approach.

Reactions: Sgathach

Jason007

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed diabetic. Sorry if this isn't very good I'm not used to posting.
Fasting blood test results while taking metformin for a week.
Insulin 5.2
GAD65 0
C peptide 1.8
A1c 10.2
Does this look like type 1 or type 2? They called and gave me results but didn't say type1 or type 2. Please help. Thanks

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed diabetic. Sorry if this isn't very good I'm not used to posting.
Fasting blood test results while taking metformin for a week.
Insulin 5.2
GAD65 0
C peptide 1.8
A1c 10.2
Does this look like type 1 or type 2? They called and gave me results but didn't say type1 or type 2. Please help. Thanks

Hi, sorry to hear, diagnosis is a huge shock isn't it.
It depends on the values or units used, for example for me I had c-peptide 0.8 on a scale from 1.1-1.4.
If your scale is the same, you'd be very high but often units or measurements can be different. My doctor also told me that you can still be type 1 even with no GAD antibodies present.
Did they give you any advice on food or exercise?
It would be best to confirm with your doctor. There is also a lot of information on this board and everyone is super helpful and friendly here, so don't worry about asking questions.

Jason007

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, sorry to hear, diagnosis is a huge shock isn't it.
It depends on the values or units used, for example for me I had c-peptide 0.8 on a scale from 1.1-1.4.
If your scale is the same, you'd be very high but often units or measurements can be different. My doctor also told me that you can still be type 1 even with no GAD antibodies present.
Did they give you any advice on food or exercise?
It would be best to confirm with your doctor. There is also a lot of information on this board and everyone is super helpful and friendly here, so don't worry about asking questions.

Supposed to check blood sugar 4 times a day and write it down. Give it to my doctor in a couple weeks. Eating wise they said stay away from sugar and eat less carbs. Thanks for responding

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Supposed to check blood sugar 4 times a day and write it down. Give it to my doctor in a couple weeks. Eating wise they said stay away from sugar and eat less carbs. Thanks for responding

Hmm that's not a lot to go by.
For me, I bought my own glucose meter as I wanted to know when and how food affected me and often tested 9 or 10 times a day, trying out food and exercise. I feel that helped me.
There are tons of low carb nutrition ideas here, have a search through the forum.
I was worried I'd put on a lot of weight on high fat, but my weight is staying pretty level, where I want it. I am now only eating a bit of carbs before training and sometimes in the morning.

For me, learning and studying has helped me a lot. I felt a bit on my own here, without a support network until I found the right hospital so I started to compile resources from books to communities. Maybe it helps you too, online resources especially.
https://kyeorugitiger.wordpress.com/resources/