Type 1 Are we allowed to know what percentage of diabetics have died from Coronavirus?

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not saying we need names and all the data, but I’m a bit fed up of seeing ‘underlying conditions’ in the news. As diabetics we are probably thinking ‘is that us?’ and if so,what extra measures and precautions (like more regular blood testing) should we be taking? I’m sure that info would clarify things further. Or am I just being a bit of a hypochondriac as usual ‍♀️

JeannieCass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not an animal lover
I totally get where you are coming from, and if honest I have had a couple of meltdowns which is not like me. Sometimes I want to know the answer to your question, and other times I think, no.....forget about it and just social distance
I have now come off social media and feel better.
I check my blood regularly and have kept them slightly higher than normal, so happier with that

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not saying we need names and all the data, but I’m a bit fed up of seeing ‘underlying conditions’ in the news. As diabetics we are probably thinking ‘is that us?’ and if so,what extra measures and precautions (like more regular blood testing) should we be taking? I’m sure that info would clarify things further. Or am I just being a bit of a hypochondriac as usual ‍♀️
Connie, whilst it would be straightforward enough to identify if someone passing away, whilst suffering from COVID-19, it isn't quite so easy to be very specific as to whether their diabetes (whichever sort), played a part in their demise, and if, in the opinion of the person certifying death, it did, then, to what extent it did.

Of course, it will be further complicated by yet a further subset of those people having multiple medical conditions, and trying to work out if another condition had a part to play in their death.

The medics and statisticians can give a best-guess estimate in whether Mr or Mrs X' diabetes/hypertension//heart disease or chest problems caused their death or how much those conditions contributed to them dying

Having read today that inquests will not be held for those dying as a result of COVID-19, I'm not sure we can invest in waiting for that detail.

Apologies, it's been a very busy day and I don't have the inquest link to hand.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't think anyone knows the answer to this question. The main risk appears to be age, and the older you are, the more likely to be diabetic. So maybe look up your "age risk" and double it, to get an order of magnitude level. But that's only an order of magnitude. I've been T1 for 50 years so my immune system is probably worse than a T2 who is diet controlled and achieves normal levels just by moderating their carbs.

On the other hand, I don't smoke, so my lungs are good, which probably helps. There are so many factors which can affect one's risk, (let alone diabetes type or hba1c which no one has data on yet), that it's really hard to tell.

But even my T2 89 year old dad, who has multiple health conditions and a cornucopia of medications, still has only a 1 in 4 (roughly) chance of dying from this virus.....

Reactions: kev-w

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think people should stop focusing on a percentage of dieing, 3% or 5% or whatever the figure is on any given day and who is declaring it because you have diabetes and start focusing on the positive that 97 or 95% chance of living if they catch covid.

Reactions: Robbity and EllieM

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. Just got a bit spooked, or should I say my son did as he got a bit anxious about it all. I’m a ‘good specimen’ after 44 years and am an optimist. Take care everyone - big hugs x

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did read somewhere on here on a link that 35% of Italians who have died were diabetic. I don't know whether they had other conditions as well which is likely.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ADA has published this helpful summary of the situation as it may affect PWDs:

https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/treatment-care/planning-sick-days/coronavirus

Here is a quotation (passages IMO particularly important highlighted by me):

"People with diabetes do face a higher chance of experiencing serious complications from COVID-19. In general, people with diabetes are more likely to experience severe symptoms and complications when infected with a virus. If diabetes is well-managed, the risk of getting severely sick from COVID-19 is about the same as the general population.
When people with diabetes do not manage their diabetes well and experience fluctuating blood sugars, they are generally at risk for a number of diabetes-related complications. Having heart disease or other complications in addition to diabetes could worsen the chance of getting seriously ill from COVID-19
, like other viral infections, because your body’s ability to fight off an infection is compromised."

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t answer the OP’s question.
If I was interested in knowing anything about percentages my question would be.
“ what percentage of diabetics have recovered after contacting covid 19 ? “
Let’s try to get away from all this negativity.