Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm type 2 and work at the hospital cleaning been told to not go near these rooms with covid or suspected but should I be self isolating at home for either 7 day or 12 weeks

Getting_Fit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not finding our national body very helpful. Mute except for something posted and not changed - one jolly inspiring story about 1 person - nothing about their age other conditions etc etc. As a T1 for 47 years I have some additional issues ... I am not impressed whatsoever

Sandrao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watching closely. I’m a teaching assistant and I’m and tired of kids coughing, I know it’s probably just normal seasonal illness but I’m type 1, high blood pressure, underachieve thyroid and I’m 50. I’m a lone parent to a 14 year old and have no family near me.
I’m a T.A too thought we were supposed to self isolate so told the head yesterday that I would today the gov have said it’s now social distancing we should be doing until you get a call from nhs next week. Ringing tomorrow for clarification

speccybecky

I’m type 2. Been told at work that as I’m in ‘underlying’ health category I have to self isolate for 2 weeks with pay. Will be reassessed after that, I suspect it’ll be up to me after that and if I stay at home it’ll be unpaid/holidays/or SSP. So we’ll be penalised if I do the right thing.

Reactions: dmckatana

Medi72

I am type 1, also had a heart bypass 3 years ago, I have ischaemic heart disease and angina. My son is also type 1. He phoned diabetes UK they say theres no need to self isolate, his dsn says no need to self isolate. We both work in retail, I work backstage he works on the tills, our employers in the Corona virus team say no need to self isolate but our employer should make reasonable allowances to make sure we are social distancing, he is now working with me backstage.

Reactions: kev-w

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m Type 2 on insulin, been diabetic for 20 years now. I’m also a nurse, but first responder to accidents etc. My job is not in the NHS. I work for a private company, a large multi national. My problem is that the company are apparently making up their own ‘at risk’ categories.......I’m concerned that they don’t exactly have the well-being of their employees at heart. I’m also concerned at the legality of their decision making process, which I’m sure is driven by profit, rather than duty of care.......they are refusing at present, to agree that I’m in any at risk category. I’m in my sixties, diabetic and hypertensive........I’m thinking I have to be pretty much dead to be in their at risk category.

JasLS90

Hi everyone, very interesting reading through all of these replies.
I’m 29, T1 for 24 years now. I’m also on HBP and cholesterol meds as well as battling an absorption problem.
I work in dentistry which has been confirmed in the last few days as one of the most high risk jobs re. COVID-19. Unsure of whether to go in as usual on Monday or take the hard decision to stay at home for 12 weeks. Just wish they would put something concrete in place rather than have us all in limbo like this.
My bloods have been much higher than normal these last few days, just hope it’s stress and nothing more.

davidm1988

So whilst in isolation at home, am i meant to completely avoid my partner and kids as well? Or is it more to advise i just don't go out of the house

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello David,

If you live with others then contact is unavoidable, the isolation advice is to ensure you're not interacting with others outside of the family home.

Keep well.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So whilst in isolation at home, am i meant to completely avoid my partner and kids as well? Or is it more to advise i just don't go out of the house
I'm under the impression that your family should be social distancing as well.

All the best everyone!

davidm1988

I'm under the impression that your family should be social distancing as well.

All the best everyone!
Oh absolutely, but my partner is still having to go to work as she works in healthcare and therefore my daughter to a childminders. May sound overly dramatic but they could catch it whilst they are out and bring it back in the house. It messes with your head so much, so many possible ways it could be brought in to the house, but i can't possibly avoid the people i live with for 12 weeks

Thanks for the replies, hope everyone stays safe

Bladerider666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so confused by all this, I'm a type 1 diabetic with asthma plus being an operations manager I have many many people to deal with.... This 12 weeks is confusing me should I isolate or not....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so confused by all this, I'm a type 1 diabetic with asthma plus being an operations manager I have many many people to deal with.... This 12 weeks is confusing me should I isolate or not....

your profile is incomplete, so I have no idea where you are in the world, but if you are in the UK the latest govt advice on this can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

think of it as the most accurate info for the UK, without the spin, speclation and rumours that are found everywhere else.

the onfo on those pages is updated when/if the advice changes

if you are in another country, I am quite sure that your government will have a similar info source somewhere on their official web pages.

Reactions: JenniferW

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... but if you are in the UK the latest govt advice on this can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

think of it as the most accurate info for the UK, without the spin, speculation and rumours that are found everywhere else.

As always, you give helpful responses, Brunneria!

I was living / working in China during SARS, experienced lockdown, etc and can see just how differently countries such as the UK are making policies and applying them! I'm in the UK, in the group advised to be social distancing so your response made me read through all of the document for that. We could do with all this being put up on noticeboards all over the place, I think. Not everyone has a smartphone and endless internet access. A government document embedded in their website isn't exactly what you look at first even if you do have! We could do with poster-size notices all over the streets, our work-places, etc. IMHO. Good new use for all those windows of the closed pubs, restaurants, etc?

Spoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - I've been t1 for 29 yrs and have some complications and other auto immune conditions. Though the govt is advising and companies are going by govt guidelines I work in care and those guidelines are very difficult to follow (ie. Social distancing - it's not really possible.)

So I have made that autonomous decision to self isolate anyway. My immediate senior is understanding however I'm not sure what the upper management will say. Fortunately I am financially able to not be paid for a few months and understand a lot of people are not in this position. At the end of the day we all know ow our own bodies though and the govt can only make sweeping guidelines for sub groups of people.

I know I for one am struggling with the anxiety and knowing that I do have to turn up for shifts and not knowing that other staff I have to be around (plus their kids and families) are practising good social distancing outside of work is driving me crazy. I know that the stress of this isn't good for the immune system either so I know that even though I will undoubtedly feel guilty for being at home while the rest of my staff team is out there working, my body is weaker and I only have one in the long haul.

Stay safe everybody and remember to breathe and do things to prevent anxiety. We have got this!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought this might be helpful for some:

ETVC-9WUYAcaLp6

Stay well, folks.

Reactions: Liftupjoe and Spoz

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping it will become clearer next week when these supposed letters are being sent to those considered at risk.The govt keep saying '1.4 million will receive letters' but there are 4 million people with diabetes in the UK I believe so it clearly won't cover everybody? I wonder whether the advice after those letters are sent out will be 'and anyone else discuss with your Doctor', mayhem if that happens!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been made redundant- my boss called me & said he’s following the government advice
I am fit & well type 1 diabetic
Bit gutted

Made redundant, do you mean as one of a group of employees also made redundant? I doubt any employer would get away with making a person redundant because they fell into an at risk category. x

Emsdevoma

Hello!
I’m a type 1 of 24 years. Info is very limited out there for us diabetics who are unsure if we should be working during this worrying time! I work in care and will be needed at work... very anxious and stressed, sugars are running high which is not helping!
My work have told me it’s my choice to self isolate for 12 weeks but may not be entitled to ssp as I’m not actually sick. This is not really an option as will not financially survive with no income.
Just really wondering if we would be able to claim the grant of 80% of wages that was offered yesterday for staff who’s business have been closed due to the virus or is this only available for employers of theses places?

Keep safe
Thanks Emily