Keto Bodybuilding diet

Laconic

Any keen body builders on keto what diet to get you ripped. I’m dusting down my bench barbells and dumbbells. As social isolating is making going to the gym out of the question

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't manage it without the carbs - didn't have the energy to work out properly.

However more importantly once you have saturated your body with protein, eating more like you need to do to build makes some of it convert to glucose which takes you out of ketois. Then you are basically on a very high fat diet, not in ketosis which is not a very desirable place to be.

Depends how reliant you are on the Keto diet to manage your bloods, i have been doing well on a low fat, much lower carb, higher protein diet. But i can process things like lentils and beans - even smaller portions of pasta and bread without my blood levels rising out of tolerance now i have lost of a load of weight and got fitter.

What ever you choose to do, make a slow change and test your bloods. You may find if you keep high fat and up protein allot you will put on all the wrong kinds of weight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
eating more like you need to do to build makes some of it convert to glucose which takes you out of ketois
For some.. possibly.
Oddly the carnivores who do lots of exercise Baker, Saladino, Shewfelt, Naiman etc all seem pretty ripped on a high protein diet.

Last edited:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Generally they are using very high protein diets which you need. But lean on fat and also taking in allot of carbs.

They have rules on carbs but they are not doing lchf with extra protein.

May be some exceptions but generally you can't maintain a keto diet with a shed load of protein it just turns to glucose. However you do need to have a shed load of protein to build muscle, over 100g per day depending on your weight.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Generally they are using very high protein diets which you need. But lean on fat and also taking in allot of carbs.

They have rules on carbs but they are not doing lchf with extra protein.

May be some exceptions but generally you can't maintain a keto diet with a shed load of protein it just turns to glucose. However you do need to have a shed load of protein to build muscle, over 100g per day depending on your weight.

To be clear my point wasn't that you don't need the protein - you totaly do, you just don't burn fat the same way your running on carbs and using the protein to build muscle. So if your also taking in a load of fat it's proberbly not the ideal mix

Laconic

Do I gradually need to bring in rice and porridge on work out days?
But I’m determined to try it on keto so up the eggs and meat before I introduce carbs, I’ll let you know how I get on

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need keto to stay in control of bloods I wouldn't go for carbs.

But if you go for more protein I would check on your ketone levels to make sure your still in ketosis. If you drop out of ketosis it may well be the extra protein doing it so just be careful with it.

It's really hard to get enough protein in to be honest, I struggle as I just don't fancy eating the quantity of protein you need to eat without shakes, but the shakes have way too many carbs for keto.

Generally rule of thumb is that you need 2 -2.5g of protein per kg of mass you have to build muscle effectively (about 170g of protein for my weight) 12 to 20g in an egg, so thats 12 eggs or 1kg of beef steak a day.
That's lean beef not fatty beef or you have to eat more to get the same amount of protien

Laconic

I’m going to go down the Keto route, as having well controlled blood sugars is vital to having a strong immune system which is so important for diabetics, only trouble I’m having at the moment is being able to buy the quantities of food needed to eat more big with so much panic buying, so my training may have to wait a while

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Proberbly wise in the current climate. You can weight train cane gain strength without the protien.

My personal view is that's a better route for diabetics, I went lean first. got my weight down and increased cardio fitness level significantly.

Building strength is still possible to do without the extra protien, so you can lift and increase what your able to lift and how many sets you can do.

You just don't build much large muscle's without the protien, so you can tone well, but not get massive guns lol.

It's substance over style if you know what I mean, either way your still best training for fitness for a multitude of reasons ant way