Gained Weight and cant reverse it ?

Benns

Hello, when I was first diagnosed I read everything I could and lost weight avoiding most of the obvious carbs and not eating chocolate (which I love) cake and all things sweet.
I lost weight rapidly and reversed my type 2 to normal, and kept it there fairly easily, then I probably relaxed things a little, but didn't see any weight gain or increase in HbA1c, but gradually it has caught up with me, and now I have put on a stone and have gone at last test 6 months ago to having impaired blood sugar, its really strange because everything I did originally to lose weight doesn't seem to be working ?
I have gone back to 3 meals a day (no snacking) the only difference to when I lost my original amount of weight which was a lot (4stone) is, I do eat rice and pasta something, rarely bread. I am racking my brain as to why I cant get these gained pounds off and get back to being in the non diabetic category ?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, when I was first diagnosed I read everything I could and lost weight avoiding most of the obvious carbs and not eating chocolate (which I love) cake and all things sweet.
I lost weight rapidly and reversed my type 2 to normal, and kept it there fairly easily, then I probably relaxed things a little, but didn't see any weight gain or increase in HbA1c, but gradually it has caught up with me, and now I have put on a stone and have gone at last test 6 months ago to having impaired blood sugar, its really strange because everything I did originally to lose weight doesn't seem to be working ?
I have gone back to 3 meals a day (no snacking) the only difference to when I lost my original amount of weight which was a lot (4stone) is, I do eat rice and pasta something, rarely bread. I am racking my brain as to why I cant get these gained pounds off and get back to being in the non diabetic category ?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

What did you do to lose weight last time?
Also, I think the clue is in the choice of diet since. The rice and pasta are screaming at me as being main culprits. Unfortunately, we cannot lose weight that could have caused the high blood glucose, then go back to a way of eating that will raise both weight and high BG levels again. Once in remission we have to stick with way that will keep us that way.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I do eat rice and pasta something, rarely bread.

Keep off the bread and replace the pasta with courgette spaghetti (spiralise courgettes and fry the strands), and consider cauliflower rice instead of rice (or just ditch the rice and pasta.)

Otherwise, buy a meter and check your blood sugar before meals and 2 hours after - you'll soon find what causes the rises.....

Good lcuk.

M

Member496333

You only have to be eating just enough carbs and be just enough insulin resistant to bring about permanent hyperinsulinemia and weight gain. Irrespective of blood glucose or anything else.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect you have been building up insulin resistance which will take time to break down again. Seriously reduce the carbs for while and try adding exercise. I've been doing a 1 to 2 mile walk up and down hill each day which is reducing my BS a lot. Yes, avoid pasta and rice.

Benns

Hi. I suspect you have been building up insulin resistance which will take time to break down again. Seriously reduce the carbs for while and try adding exercise. I've been doing a 1 to 2 mile walk up and down hill each day which is reducing my BS a lot. Yes, avoid pasta and rice.

Benns

Thank you for your response and to everyone else, I think you are right I must have built up insulin resistance again and need to knock those carbs on the head, I walk a lot so think I am getting enough exercise, but got lulled into a false sense of security after losing the weight, I seemed to be able to eat what I wanted for quite a long time without gaining weight, and got into bad habits and then couldn't stop so even though I think what I am eating is okay, it just isn't and I am going to go back to no obvious carbs, eg bread, pasta, rice and replace or have something else.
Thanks Again, for the nudge I needed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your response and to everyone else, I think you are right I must have built up insulin resistance again and need to knock those carbs on the head, I walk a lot so think I am getting enough exercise, but got lulled into a false sense of security after losing the weight, I seemed to be able to eat what I wanted for quite a long time without gaining weight, and got into bad habits and then couldn't stop so even though I think what I am eating is okay, it just isn't and I am going to go back to no obvious carbs, eg bread, pasta, rice and replace or have something else.
Thanks Again, for the nudge I needed.
And don't forget to test, test test!
That will show you how you are doing real time.