COVID-19 type 1 self employed and ESA

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am self employed and not sure where I stand and wondered if anyone had any advice. I started self isolating last week as understood I was at high risk. Being self employed I am not sure what I'm entitled to, Esa or anything else. I can get the new grant for self employed which is great, but as they have said not for a couple of months. I tried looking this up but have not found a thing. Also tried ringing the Esa during work hours where the message says they are open but they are not. Any advice would be great please. if there is no help that's fine, I'd rather be poor and stay healthy, hopefully. Thank you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Have a look on the www.gov.uk coronavirus pages, they explain the self employed package that was introduced last night.
I expect they give enough info for you to work out what the next steps are.

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Have a look on the www.gov.uk coronavirus pages, they explain the self employed package that was introduced last night.
I expect they give enough info for you to work out what the next steps are.

I have done that thank you, however I am not talking about that, I am asking about ESA which is completely different in my understanding. I'm just asking as I have spent a lot of time looking and been on the government website but have still not found what I am looking for, hence why I have come here to ask. Hope thats ok and thank you to anyone who can help.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done that thank you, however I am not talking about that, I am asking about ESA which is completely different in my understanding. I'm just asking as I have spent a lot of time looking and been on the government website but have still not found what I am looking for, hence why I have come here to ask. Hope thats ok and thank you to anyone who can help.
This site always gives good advice regarding benefits
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Though if you are not actually ill, it seems unlikely you will be eligible for sickness benefits.

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This site always gives good advice regarding benefits
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Though if you are not actually ill, it seems unlikely you will be eligible for sickness benefits.

Thank you, that's the conclusion I came to, but wanted to check and also need to tell the other half that's the case with it written down, appreciate your time.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, that's the conclusion I came to, but wanted to check and also need to tell the other half that's the case with it written down, appreciate your time.
Best of luck, and stay well.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
ESA is defiantly a benefit for people that are ill and unable to work because they are ill.
As now, it's universal credit, as to how or what you need to prove unable to work, I have no idea.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you may not be eligible for ESA if you are self employed. i would double check if I were you. https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility