1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID-19 type 1 self employed and ESA

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Heed, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Heed

Heed Type 1 · Member

I am self employed and not sure where I stand and wondered if anyone had any advice. I started self isolating last week as understood I was at high risk. Being self employed I am not sure what I'm entitled to, Esa or anything else. I can get the new grant for self employed which is great, but as they have said not for a couple of months. I tried looking this up but have not found a thing. Also tried ringing the Esa during work hours where the message says they are open but they are not. Any advice would be great please. if there is no help that's fine, I'd rather be poor and stay healthy, hopefully. Thank you

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,
    Have a look on the www.gov.uk coronavirus pages, they explain the self employed package that was introduced last night.
    I expect they give enough info for you to work out what the next steps are.

3. Heed

Heed Type 1 · Member

I have done that thank you, however I am not talking about that, I am asking about ESA which is completely different in my understanding. I'm just asking as I have spent a lot of time looking and been on the government website but have still not found what I am looking for, hence why I have come here to ask. Hope thats ok and thank you to anyone who can help.

4. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

This site always gives good advice regarding benefits
    www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Though if you are not actually ill, it seems unlikely you will be eligible for sickness benefits.

5. Heed

Heed Type 1 · Member

Thank you, that's the conclusion I came to, but wanted to check and also need to tell the other half that's the case with it written down, appreciate your time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Best of luck, and stay well.

7. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

ESA is defiantly a benefit for people that are ill and unable to work because they are ill.
    As now, it's universal credit, as to how or what you need to prove unable to work, I have no idea.

8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

you may not be eligible for ESA if you are self employed. i would double check if I were you. https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

9. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook