I have RH and my morning fasting blood sugars are in low 100s. Is this bad

Kpop7

I was diagnosed with reactive about a year ago. My blood sugars before eating breakfast were always 70-80s. I’ve been checking my blood sugar before eating the past couple of days and this morning it was 102. Yesterday I took it and it was 101. I know that’s not really high but it used to never be at this level. I took my blood sugar two hours after dinner and it was normal, so I’m wondering is this normal or if my reactive hypoglycemia is progressing into something more? Thank you for your help

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

slightly raised fasting blood glucose levels are generally known as Dawn Phenomenon. It is very widespread.

You can do some googling to get the full picture, but it is basically caused by a ‘surge’ of hormones in the morning which the body uses to get us up, awake and alert ready for the new day. Often the more active and stressed we are in the morning, the higher the DP, but each one of us experiences it slightly differently.

for me, my DP remains raised until I eat or drink something food-like. Even a coffee with cream or a baby bel will sort it out. No need for a full English. At that point my bg just drifts back down to my usual level. I avoid all carbs in the mornings.

Other people find that their DP is the consequence of too many carbs in the evening.

it varies a lot. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Kpop7

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your response! So people without blood sugar issues can have this too?

people without blood glucose issues are rarely, if ever, tested. :D

i think it is likely that everyone experiences some degree of DP, but the extent to which it actually affects blood glucose levels varies from person to person, and then from day to day for each of those people (which is basically a complicated way of saying ‘I think so.’ :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed with reactive about a year ago. My blood sugars before eating breakfast were always 70-80s. I’ve been checking my blood sugar before eating the past couple of days and this morning it was 102. Yesterday I took it and it was 101. I know that’s not really high but it used to never be at this level. I took my blood sugar two hours after dinner and it was normal, so I’m wondering is this normal or if my reactive hypoglycemia is progressing into something more? Thank you for your help
Hi and welcome to our own forum,
Could you have a cold or something like that?
Have you been stressed lately?
Do you test straight away from rising or wait for a while before testing and eating?
I have not had dawn phenomenon since before diagnosis.
Have any of your blood readings during the rest of the day gone up?
Have you started eating more carbs due to good control and allowing yourself some more? Changed your dietary intake somehow?

Since changing my lifestyle to a Keto diet, my blood readings have mainly remained constantly in and around normal levels. Only colds and flu have seen my levels above normal! Which is around 90 (ish) I have had readings above that but not by much.
Unless you are becoming diabetic, which them numbers are definitely not, then a revision of your dietary intake would be advisable.
Last question, are you still having episodes of Hypoglycaemia?

Stay safe

Best wishes

Kpop7

Thank you for your response and I don’t have a cold and I’m not majorly stressed. I do have bad anxiety though. And I tested it pretty much straight after rising. The first time right after rising and the second time about ten mins after getting up. When my reactive hypoglycemia was at its worst, I would eat Something sugary and it was would to about 194. That was only about 20 mins after eating though. I’ve changed my diet a lot and now I don’t have really any lows. I work at target and when I’m putting boxes out I do get really sweaty and shaky, even when I’m doing the bare minimum. I have recently slipped up though around the time I tested. The night before I had a sugar cookie lol I know, bad idea. Other than that I eat well. I havnt had a low but I Do get symptoms of a low and will check and it’s normal . Maybe because of the quick blood sugar drops? Also a couple of months ago I got my insulin levels checked. I got a fasting insulin level (it was 11.8) and then an hour after 75mg of glucose I got an insulin level of 194. An hour after that, my insulin level was 55. I don’t know if that is good or bad so if you are able to help me understand the readings that would be awesome !

Kpop7

Also I have extreme fatigue during the day and I’m wondering if maybe that is tied to the reactive hypoglycemia. it probably is

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for your response and I don’t have a cold and I’m not majorly stressed. I do have bad anxiety though. And I tested it pretty much straight after rising. The first time right after rising and the second time about ten mins after getting up. When my reactive hypoglycemia was at its worst, I would eat Something sugary and it was would to about 194. That was only about 20 mins after eating though. I’ve changed my diet a lot and now I don’t have really any lows. I work at target and when I’m putting boxes out I do get really sweaty and shaky, even when I’m doing the bare minimum. I have recently slipped up though around the time I tested. The night before I had a sugar cookie lol I know, bad idea. Other than that I eat well. I havnt had a low but I Do get symptoms of a low and will check and it’s normal . Maybe because of the quick blood sugar drops? Also a couple of months ago I got my insulin levels checked. I got a fasting insulin level (it was 11.8) and then an hour after 75mg of glucose I got an insulin level of 194. An hour after that, my insulin level was 55. I don’t know if that is good or bad so if you are able to help me understand the readings that would be awesome !
This might sound a bit weird, but it all depends on your intolerance to carbs and sugar. I cannot eat even small amounts of carbs and it triggers the reaction.
The insulin levels are not normal, that is the usual RH response to glucose. The middle reading is what is known as an' 'overshoot' of insulin.
Converting to glucose levels, the glucose raised your bloods because if you are like me, your initial insulin response is weak, so the quick rises trigger the overshoot. The overshoot drives your blood levels into hypoglycaemic episodes.
The symptoms you have noticed due to lower blood levels is called a false hypo. This is when your blood levels drop too quickly. It is not an actual hypo, but feels like one!
Having fluctuations in blood levels is not good, this is causing all the symptoms you have and hopefully now control.
It is all about food, except exercise.
I would love to exercise like a young un, but anything too much will cause a liver dump of glucose, I work full time and am on the go all day and I do have to be careful how much at once I do. (Obviously, can't do much now because of covid!)
I keep busy and that helps, fasting, walking, being careful what I eat.
I have learnt how to keep myself healthy.
The trick is to stay in normal levels. No rise in blood levels, no hypoglycaemic episodes. No hypers, no hypos!
If you are not aware, we do have our own forum, have a look at the forums and click on Reactive hypoglycaemia.

Best wishes

Kpop7

Thank you so much that makes so much sense. I always feel like somethings wrong with me because I’ll check my blood sugar and it’s normal. Like early mornings before work I’ll eat a great breakfast and then get to work and sweat like I’m in a sauna when the temperature is no where near hot. And the shaking is crazy. I’m glad it has a name and I know what it is now. Thanks again! I will definitely join that reactive hypoglycemia forum :)