some ideas for the shopping basket

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
chipolatas
sugar-free jelly (possibly with squirty cream on top - but that has some, albeit relatively low, carbs)
cockles
frankfurters
king prawns
brie cheese

Shame eggs are no longer available in the UK.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
chipolatas
sugar-free jelly (possibly with squirty cream on top - but that has some, albeit relatively low, carbs)
cockles
frankfurters
king prawns
brie cheese

Shame eggs are no longer available in the UK.

There are plenty of eggs in the UK.
We couldn't buy any last week, but this week my husband picked up a dozen in the small Sainbury's at the top of our road on his way home from work (he is a key worker).

All the suppliers seem to have been working very hard to bring production and supply up to the new demands, and things are improving.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
All the suppliers seem to have been working very hard to bring production and supply up to the new demands, and things are improving.

Well presumably once everyone has filled their fridge and freezer and pantry with food, they'll stop stockpiling.... (OK, the 1973 US shortage of loo paper lasted a few months, despite the fact it was only fueled by panic buying).

My current (and always?) low carbs favourites are courgettes and avocadoes (but I have a home grown courgete crisis at the moment due to 3 courgette plants, around 30 :):):). Tomorrow we spiralise to excess!)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.

Apparently our local Morrisons held an 'open interview' for staff last week.
200 people turned up looking for work and a significant number were taken on, with some starting work within just 3 hours.
5 days later when my husband went into the shop, the shelves were MUCH better stocked and maintained than the previous week.
There were, of course, still items missing, but there was a lot of food available, and restrictions on no of items to prevent panic buying.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More bacon...

Edit to add... not enough to be accused of hoarding bacon though!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well, I was giving my ideas, but open the floor for others to chime in with their favourites.

Well, I'm a fan of brie cheese for sure.
I also like aged vintage cheddar on pork scratchings.
A bit of dark chocolate.
I also make my own jelly/jello with gelatin and flavoured tea bags.
Yes for king prawns.
Walnuts.
Peanut butter (Lowest carb one I can find is Mayvers here)
Walnuts mixed in with some peanut butter, coffee and off for a walk with the boss I go... (Boss = Dog).

Those are my go to snack ideas.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hoarder!!! :D
Did I mention we choose bacon...

90481480_1416776148510120_3379111918659698688_n.jpg

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bacon and eggs are the two things we simply could not do without in our house, and we buy at least 2kg and 3 dozen eggs every week. If they run short here, we are in some real trouble.

As for ideas, I made cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped meatballs last night. The flavour was great but the meat was a little dense. I'll use either some psyllium. husk or some coconut flour next time. Bread crumbs are out of the question.

I don't love avocados, but I've resigned myself to eating lots of them for the benefits, and I'm starting to enjoy them a bit more.

D

Deleted member 308541

I'd maybe go for the loo rolls and auction some off to the highest bidders and use the profits to buy bigger stocks of bacon....:D
...or diversify into pork chop stock as well.

I like pork chops as much as bacon, so well worth putting them in the basket as well.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...or diversify into pork chop stock as well.

I like pork chops as much as bacon, so well worth putting them in the basket as well.
Pork chops with attached kidneys -were my favourites - I used to love those....:hungry:

19cd21_c18ebe24efb34c238d3ece6160fdb9d4~mv2_d_1200_1600_s_2.webp

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When the real butcher around the corner was still in business I used to buy whole pigs and they would prepare them to order - opening the bags was a bit like Christmas. I used to buy whole hoggets too, and bags of assorted beef - I do miss them.