philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anybody else feeling really lonely? It's something I struggle with alot and even moreso given the current situation. Had a bit of a disagreement with a friend today too which has added fuel to the fire. What's everyone doing to keep themselves occupied?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Life is strange, and everyone gets stressed.
I have a very clean home at the moment, and a tired looking vacuum cleaner.
Fortunate to have a garden, so have spent time out there looking for the daily changes that herald spring. It is quite relaxing, and calming, though I will be happy if the frogs stop doing what they like to do at this time of year and start feasting on the wee beasties that have been chomping on the flowers that butterflies have been visiting.

If you can, make it up with friend . They are precious especially if you feel really lonely.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm finding it harder than I thought I would.
I have a wife but the kids and grandchildren are no longer part of my life.
The nearest lot are only three miles away so we see them almost daily .... not for a week now.

I'm saving quite a bit of money on diesel.

To keep sane ish I read I use my puter and I try and create sounds .... from normal guitar and piano things to gnarled and distorted creations out of them and then try and make music from them.
Been a hobby for twenty years and when I get something I think is ok I upload to a music site.
My keyboard/synth has had a lot of use lately.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Wife doing a lot of gardening.
Everyone's gardens should be pristine at the end of this!

Reactions: jpscloud and Pipp

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I had a garden just to get out and get some fresh air. I'm still working at the minute just to get a break from being at home.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @philly1991 ,

Well i live with my wife & a dog..

But the social element of rocking out with the band has gone.
Like @JTL , saving on fuel on the van.

Why not give your friend some "breathing space," then message or call them tomorrow?

Reactions: JTL

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @philly1991 ,

Well i live with my wife & a dog..

But the social element of rocking out with the band has gone.
Like @JTL , saving on fuel on the van.

Why not give your friend some "breathing space," then message or call them tomorrow?

My dog has definitely reached the 'walks are overrated' stage of social distancing.
I'm trying to respect her need for space right now but finding it very difficult. It's probably for the best though like you say.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My neighbour is finding it hard and his wife is finding it even harder.
He says she keeps standing at the window with tears in her eyes.
He said he's considered letting her in but rules are rules ....

Reactions: philly1991

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dog has definitely reached the 'walks are overrated' stage of social distancing.
I'm trying to respect her need for space right now but finding it very difficult. It's probably for the best though like you say.

Just send her something like a quick message in the morning.. Something a bit daft like an "in joke" you might both share in common along that theme? & open a bit of dialogue..

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

You can find many things to do on the good old Internet via web cams. You can see zoos, listen to the sea, go on safari etc

You can also find excerpts from books to read, if you're a reader.

Plenty of silly litttle games to play.

You could even join one of the social forums like facebook and trace family, friends, colleagues.

And keep coming back here and posting. With it being a world wide forum you will always find someone to talk to. You can make some good friends via this site

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
John Travolta's been tested negative for coronavirus.

It turns out it was just Saturday Night Fever.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm feeling a bit lonely too, never expected that. In my exhausting "normal" life I dreamed of having days on end at home, and felt irritated by random people taking up what small amount of free time I had. Now I'm so grateful just for a brief chat with a stranger from 2m away in a supermarket queue! Hang in there, you are not alone.

I have rejoined some hobby/ interest forums long neglected and found some old friends still there.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling a bit lonely too, never expected that. In my exhausting "normal" life I dreamed of having days on end at home, and felt irritated by random people taking up what small amount of free time I had. Now I'm so grateful just for a brief chat with a stranger from 2m away in a supermarket queue! Hang in there, you are not alone.

I have rejoined some hobby/ interest forums long neglected and found some old friends still there.

This is my life in a nutshell right now! I would normally give my right arm for a day at home in front of the TV with my feet up. Thankyou, i know we're all in the same boat, I didn't realise how much I take normality for granted. Hope you are keeping well.

frankbegbie

I've lived on my own most of my life. Found out I had depression so am on tablets for that and they help a hell of a lot.
Got a dog a few years ago, ( the one in my picture) got another one now.
I have to go out 4 times a day with her and you meet plenty of other dog walkers who you can have a good chat with most days.
I would never go back to being on my own now, it's whatever you get used to.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya

You can find many things to do on the good old Internet via web cams. You can see zoos, listen to the sea, go on safari etc

You can also find excerpts from books to read, if you're a reader.

Plenty of silly litttle games to play.

You could even join one of the social forums like facebook and trace family, friends, colleagues.

And keep coming back here and posting. With it being a world wide forum you will always find someone to talk to. You can make some good friends via this site

Thankyou for this, will definitely have a look at the zoos, is it right that they're doing live webcam feeds? I took myself off social media a fair few years back now as I found it wasn't the best for my mental health, I was a little reluctant to join this community for that reason but have found it okay so far.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've lived on my own most of my life. Found out I had depression so am on tablets for that and they help a hell of a lot.
Got a dog a few years ago, ( the one in my picture) got another one now.
I have to go out 4 times a day with her and you meet plenty of other dog walkers who you can have a good chat with most days.
I would never go back to being on my own now, it's whatever you get used to.

Dogs are great company, my parents have them though when I move I unfortunately won't be in a position to have them myself as I work 12 hour days which saddens me.

frankbegbie

Dogs are great company, my parents have them though when I move I unfortunately won't be in a position to have them myself as I work 12 hour days which saddens me.
I used to get panic attacks sometimes with my anxiety and depression, not for a good while now though.
Just having a dog sitting on the sofa with you and you can't help stroking them, nothing is so calming and relaxing.
Better than any medicine.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for this, will definitely have a look at the zoos, is it right that they're doing live webcam feeds? I took myself off social media a fair few years back now as I found it wasn't the best for my mental health, I was a little reluctant to join this community for that reason but have found it okay so far.

Yes live web feeding.

Also today there is a virtual tour of Scotland if you go to msn front page

And yes some sites and forums can be bad for your mental health. I have complex mental health issues but have found the members here to be non-judgemental and helpful.

Say hi in the humorous banter thread.

And if I think correctly there is a board for people to discuss their emotional health too.

You dont have to be lonely/on your own. There's a world out there waiting to show itself off to you

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe this was a year ago and we're still in a lockdown. Hope everyone is keeping well.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe this was a year ago and we're still in a lockdown. Hope everyone is keeping well.

Did you find anything to keep you occupied?

I boght craft stuff and its still sitting there.

Bought books, still on th shelf (although I have read a fair few)

And finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to go out for a walk. But I did go for my covid jab and had a nice look around the museum that was hosting it