Asian Flu

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is it takes a long time to recover and not long to die so the figures won't mean much. Also they only test those in hospital, the rest of us have no idea if we had had it and recovered or not.

Reactions: lucylocket61

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did see something on the news showing number of recovered people and it was slightly higher than the number of deaths, that doesn't mean 50% die, just that it takes longer to recover from the illness than to die from it. It's too early to have meaningful figures.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought impossible to provide genuine survival figures other than from those hospitalised. Total survival figures are the most important including those that do not get hospitalised. The ones hospitalised are the most severe cases and many of those may die because of underlying problems. The large percentage of the infected that self isolate are not included in the figures and are not included in any statistics, in any country.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We aren't testing everyone with symptoms. I had what I thought was a normal virus. However the more I hear people speaking about their symptoms the more I wonder if I have had a mild case. I still have a dry chest and throat 3 weeks on. I will probably never know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We aren't testing everyone with symptoms. I had what I thought was a normal virus. However the more I hear people speaking about their symptoms the more I wonder if I have had a mild case. I still have a dry chest and throat 3 weeks on. I will probably never know.

I was listening to the press conference thing on BBC News earlier. An expert said the symptoms include a fever, or a cough or both. The cough is a dry cough that lasts about an hour several times a day, or more consistent than that. It is not a wet cough that happens first thing when you get up and occasionally thereafter.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was listening to the press conference thing on BBC News earlier. An expert said the symptoms include a fever, or a cough or both. The cough is a dry cough that lasts about an hour several times a day, or more consistent than that. It is not a wet cough that happens first thing when you get up and occasionally thereafter.
I had a really sore throat and eyes like they had glass in them for 24 hours. Then 2 days well. Then I had a cough like that for 24 hours. Had to sit up to sleep gasping for air as so dry. Unlike croup, steam from a kettle did nothing to help. After that I had the mildest chest/throat infection I have ever had for a couple of days. Then the dry cough back and a wheeze. My temp was about 0.5 C higher than usual for 8 days. Tummy pains for 12 hours.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I had a really sore throat and eyes like they had glass in them for 24 hours. Then 2 days well. Then I had a cough like that for 24 hours. Had to sit up to sleep gasping for air as so dry. Unlike croup, steam from a kettle did nothing to help. After that I had the mildest chest/throat infection I have ever had for a couple of days. Then the dry cough back and a wheeze. My temp was about 0.5 C higher than usual for 8 days. Tummy pains for 12 hours.
Pleased you got through your bug ok, Zand.

lindisfel

Expert
It was just an observation about ventilators. I heard this piece from the States on the World Service that there was some idea one ventilator could be used for two patients.

Sorry lucy I fouled up that post it should not have been a reply to you.
regards
Derek

One would have thought we all have different respiration intervals.
D.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that we aren't making too much out of this. I'm in Australia and it was only a week ago here that people started taking it seriously. Still people don't.

If we take it seriously many many people and families won't suffer whereas if we don't more people will die. These will be family, friends, the one doctor you trust, retail workers, delivery people, airline employees etc- the point is if you understand that this may kill you or possibly give you permanent lung damage then you want to take it seriously. The reason that it has spread so far is that it wasn't taken seriously at the beginning .

I hope this will spur all of us to act generally in a way that will see infectious diseases overall slow down or die out.

I also hope this will make us act with more compassion and less selfishness. The economic fallout is going to be huge and we need to look out for one another. Make sure everyone has what they need before worrying about what we want rather than need. I really hope we treat each other kindly.

lindisfel

Expert
I did see something on the news showing number of recovered people and it was slightly higher than the number of deaths, that doesn't mean 50% die, just that it takes longer to recover from the illness than to die from it. It's too early to have meaningful figures.
They gave the figures this am almost half the patients in intensive care since February have not survived.
No reasons, no length of time in care.
D.

Max68

WHO estimate for annual deaths worldwide for seasonal influenza:

"The WHO estimates that between 290,000 and 650,000 respiratory deaths globally each year are associated with seasonal influenza."

Which would be an average of between 795 and 1780 deaths per day.

At this stage of the COVID-19 pandemic, we had 2791 death on 26th March, and 3271 deaths on 27th March, and the pandemic is only just getting going.

I would say that we are not making too much of this. Quite the reverse.

Agree with you totally. Think I can honestly say in my 51 years I have never had the Flu, even before I started getting the jab, bad colds certainly, but I think only Norovirus forced me into bed!! So Flu is certainly not as contagious as this devil of a disease as the overload in hospitals shows. You certainly don't get reports that hospitals can't cope because of the flu. I certainly didn't worry about the Flu, this one concerns me. I agree with the measures taken, albeit weeks too late. As an Island we could and should have done so much more. Quite ironic that Airlines who just let people waltz through at UK airports for weeks are now whining about bail outs. I think the country albeit a bit late are waking up to the fact it's like Russian Roulette. You could have heart disease and diabetes and walk away unscathed, but can be a 30 year old marathon runner and suffer badly. It's a lottery and that's the problem.