Coronavirus Confusion

GedMason

Hi sammyjo

By what ive read i think symptoms can be worse if Type 1 or 2. As itd really mess up glucose levels aswell as being quite ill anyway. Keep well

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Are we at risk?

We're all at risk! It's just that people with Diabetes are more susceptible to developing infections, as high blood sugar levels can weaken the patient's immune system defenses. In addition, some diabetes-related health issues, such as nerve damage and reduced blood flow to the extremities, increase the body's vulnerability to infection.
Pneumonia is a complication that can occur. Source: Mayo Clinic and NHS

Reactions: Rich92 and Dazza 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all
I'm slightly confused. Are we at risk? Type 1 here and so confused
Any advice appreciated
Thank you

I would say we aren't in a high risk group, I know If I am unwell, but not very often, my BG can soar way up high into double figures, which could then compromise fighting a virus.
I also had pneumonia and sepsis in 2018, which is often in the back of my mind, but carrying on and trying to live as normal a life as possible in these dark, uncertain times.
Take care and be safe.

Mike Sixx

I would say we aren't in a high risk group,
I do not think you can say that. Specially in the light of the statistics.

Getting CORVID-19 infection killed 0.4% of healthy people under 50
Getting CORVID-19 infection killed 9.2% of people that had diabetes.

Problem with those stats is that there are no age adjusted statistics of the diabetes patients. I tried to apply the curve of healthy people's age distribution curve to it and I got something like 4.6% for under 50 with diabetes. So I guess under 40 might be half of that, or not, I guess like 2.3% vs 0.2% of healthy.

So I GUESSED!! that it might be something like 11-times more deadly for diabetes. With error margin on 100% :)
Then "diabetes" is a quite large and broad spectrum. And I would guess age distribution of diabetes paties does not exactly match the normal population trend , specially given that the T2 much rarer the youger population.

So I GUESS CORVID-10 is about 10-times worse for us But then again everything is. Even the normal flu, I think, is in average about 10 times more deadly to us.

Strange thing was the having multiple of the risk conditions did not see add up risk that much. Average I think was 13% as where any of the two risk factors percentages alone would sum up to average or 18%. So having multiple conditions does not worsen chances that much.
Still Diabetes based on pure statistics seem to be the second most highest rick factor with CORVID-19.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

The statistics mean nothing without a breakdown of types, control levels, complications (existing or not), ages and other underlying conditions.

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I'm slightly confused. Are we at risk? Type 1 here and so confused
Any advice appreciated
Thank you

Yes, we are at a higher risk than the general, healthy public but that does not mean we are weak or unable to fight things off. Our immune systems are already compromised in some way due to the condition but again, I say if you keep yourself healthy in all other ways by diet/exercise/not smoking/exercise and so on and whatever else you are able to do, then this *may* raise our chances up to a similar level to everyone else. Let's face it, many categories of people are 'at risk', whether elderly/unfit/bad eaters/smokers or even a general propensity to catching things. My own philosophy is to take care of myself as best as I can (like everyone else) but I DO accept that I probably have to do a bit more than some young, very fit 20 year old. x

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Problem with those stats is that there are no age adjusted statistics of the diabetes patients. I tried to apply the curve of healthy people's age distribution curve to it and I got something like 4.6% for under 50 with diabetes. So I guess under 40 might be half of that, or not, I guess like 2.3% vs 0.2% of healthy.

So I GUESSED!! that it might be something like 11-times more deadly for diabetes. With error margin on 100% :)
Then "diabetes" is a quite large and broad spectrum. And I would guess age distribution of diabetes paties does not exactly match the normal population trend , specially given that the T2 much rarer the youger population.

So I GUESS CORVID-10 is about 10-times worse for us But then again everything is. Even the normal flu, I think, is in average about 10 times more deadly to us.

Strange thing was the having multiple of the risk conditions did not see add up risk that much. Average I think was 13% as where any of the two risk factors percentages alone would sum up to average or 18%. So having multiple conditions does not worsen chances that much.
Still Diabetes based on pure statistics seem to be the second most highest rick factor with CORVID-19.

This is a informative link, which shows the very high risk groups and I thank god I am not on that list. Also luck can play a big part, We all have to be vigilant, abide by the lock down and have very good personal hygiene practices.
My son who has Sarcoidosis is in the high risk group.
COVID-19 doesn't cherry pick, anyone can get it now, luck can play a big part too.
Stay safe.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The statistics mean nothing without a breakdown of types, control levels, complications (existing or not), ages and other underlying conditions.
Slightly off topic, but my Grandad used to say there are lies, **** lies and statistics :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Slightly off topic, but my Grandad used to say there are lies, **** lies and statistics :)

Just a little bit of humour.
My ole Scottish dad had a great sense of humour and used to say, (and with a glint in his eye), Don't believe all the lies I tell ya' especially to the grandchildren when he told stories or played games, especially cards <3 :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, we are at a higher risk than the general, healthy public but that does not mean we are weak or unable to fight things off. Our immune systems are already compromised in some way due to the condition but again, I say if you keep yourself healthy in all other ways by diet/exercise/not smoking/exercise and so on and whatever else you are able to do, then this *may* raise our chances up to a similar level to everyone else. Let's face it, many categories of people are 'at risk', whether elderly/unfit/bad eaters/smokers or even a general propensity to catching things. My own philosophy is to take care of myself as best as I can (like everyone else) but I DO accept that I probably have to do a bit more than some young, very fit 20 year old. x

A 21 year girl has now died of coronavirus, but as yet, not known of any underlying health condition, even so, just 21 and heartbreaking :(

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A 21 year girl has now died of coronavirus, but as yet, not known of any underlying health condition, even so, just 21 and heartbreaking :(

Hi Robin, yes, tragic and of course this will happen but I was talking generally really, there are always exceptions to the 'norm'. x

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

What do these statistics actually mean? Are they intended to put our minds at rest should we succumb to this little so and so. It isn't just about us. The reason I don't want to get this virus is so that I don't accidentally pass it on. I say accidentally because I have only been out of the house once in 10 days because somebody has to get food. I can only say I reduced the risk by going at 07:00 when the shop was virtually empty and I kept 2 metres from everybody. My wife had to go shopping for her mother but went at a time when the shop had suggested over 70s go, needless to say it was much fuller and with everyone. But then not everyone can go at a time suggested.

Reactions: Brunneria

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, I have found the 'Official' recommendations confusing & now very detrimental to Diabetic suffers. Diabetic suffers are at a higher risk, also asthma suffers than the people without these conditions. But the Government has now sent supermarkets their list of ‘Very High Risk’ people, where this list was obtained from I don’t know. I can understand that some conditions are higher risk to Coronavirus, I consider myself & my wife a high risk, but not the highest risk. If I check my details online at my local GP practice there are no details of any of the ongoing health problems I have, so is this ‘GOV LIST’ only as good as the details your GP keeps? So far the list has now ensured that I cannot use any online deliveries even when being long standing customers at some. Being isolating at home this is & will become a big problem soon.

Diabetics work hard to manage their diet, now much of specific food being low sugar & carb foods we use is being gobbled up by everyone, so I see for some time we will have to eat what’s available. Low sugar & carb foods.Vegans seem to be not helping with using up plants based milks, they should switch to Cows Milk as allergy suffers to dairy products find they are harder to source.
Appreciate any thoughts for lunches that could be made with perhaps more easily available food stuffs.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with @DavidGrahamJones . I don't want to get the virus because I deal with elderly and frail people and don't want to give it to them
As for me- I feel if I get it my odds are less than average in my country due to diabetes and asthma- if my blood sugars go high I would expect my asthma to come back. I've checked my will and know I have life insurance which will pay out my mortgage, my kids are adults- at least by age if not in attitude. So I will go to work and take every precaution I can. I live in a country with good health care. I am well nourished and reasonably active and don't smoke- never have so these things put me above average in the world so can't complain.

Everyone needs to be careful because it is their friends, family and community put at risk if they aren't careful. It is really not about us.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So I will go to work and take every precaution I can.

So, no haircuts then :) (Sorry, I shouldn't assume you live in NSW).

Here in New Zealand I would argue that we have a first world health service but are relatively low on numbers of ICU beds and ventilators. All non essential workers are living in their own "personal bubbles " (mine has 2 people, self and spouse) amid constant exhortations from the government that we should stay in them to save lives. And there seems to be popular support for this, so I'm hoping that we get the numbers down sooner rather then later. :)

Good luck to everyone in these difficult times. Stay well.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only