Conflicting advice - masks

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I hope everyone is as OK as they can be. Like most people I've been trying hard to follow the advice although after shopping every day due to lack of organisation and making sure we get fresh veg (delivered from (9 elms - Covent Garden daily), shopping for a week is a small challenge.

One thing that has made me curious is that whenever you see NHS workers they're all wearing masks. I realise that there are masks and there are masks and that there is a code to the type of mask they wear, but don't all rush out to buy them, the NHS need them, which is why I think we've been told not to bother. Even the WHO said they were no good. Yet they recommended them when there was an ebola outbreak, maybe the ebola virus was bigger.

However, I stumbled across a youtube video which I found interesting (too much time on my hands) and it was interesting for a number of reasons.

The guy being interviewed in this video is a professor working in the infectious Disease department of a hospital in Seoul. He has been there for 30 years and seen TB, AIDS, Measles, SARS 2008, swine flu pandemic 2009, Ebola 2014, MERS 2015, and now Covid 19. I think it's fair to say he knows what he's talking about. See what he has to say about masks and his thoughts on why South Korea have done so well at 'flattening the curve'. Don't forget they are use to pandemics whereas we are not.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
One thing that has made me curious is that whenever you see NHS workers they're all wearing masks.

Not in Wiltshire. My dad went for a 3 monthly injection a week ago and although he wasn't allowed in the surgery (so some social distancing happening) his doctor did not have a mask. I think their absence is because there aren't enough for anyone but the most front line worker?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think their absence is because there aren't enough for anyone but the most front line worker?
Absolutely, and telling everyone not to, prevented the sort of things we've seen in the shops. By the way, I've just bought a SNOOD, delivery tomorrow. No guarantee, but with the masks I used when decorating underneath, it must surely slow the little so and sos down a bit. As I say no guarantee but someone has to do the shopping. At least by going to the local co-op at 07:00 when there's only the staff and people who think a paper is essential, I can only hope to reduce the risk.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's more to stop anyone who has it spreading the virus further by sneezing or coughing on others.

Although advice does seem conflicting...

Last night was picking up an elderly friend from Heathrow and saw an asian couple in full hazmat suits with masks and googles wheeling their trolley into the airport!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I find it funny, I have to admit that they are totally safe (I hope). Must be a right pain if you need to go to the loo.

I did wonder where they intended to remove the suits.. any contaminants would presumably be spread all over wherever it was.

Maybe inside their home after the flight.. oops!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
maybe the ebola virus was bigger.

Ebola virus is 80nm in diameter, although anything up to 140,000 and WHO recommend wearing of masks.
Covid virus is 120 nm, WHO say don't bother.

Might have to get the plague mask out.

Attachments

• plaguemask.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 315

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve said from the start the advice was to protect supplies for medical workers. Imo in the countries where there is wide spread use of masks the spread has been limited - by restricting the droplets from asymptomatic people rather than stopping by them reach the unaffected, but wide spread use is the key rather than individual. In which case even homemade ones widely used and washed would be effective. Didn’t the Czech Republic achieve this in days from a grass roots movement as opposed to a government one?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worth watching, especially the section on how to disinfect masks for re-use and the simulations of how far droplets travel, even from normal conversation:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, Youtube is full of crafty and creative solutions for making your own masks - some are sewn, but many other methods too.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, Youtube is full of crafty and creative solutions for making your own masks - some are sewn, but many other methods too.
Still think it requires widespread use to be really useful.

That said I will use a face covering anytime I’m in public confined areas like shops for the time being. Along with glasses and gloves to be removed before getting back in the car and hands sanitised til I get home and wash them all. It all helps keep my hands away from my mouth, nose and eyes til they are cleaned.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think that wearing a face mask helps protect those we come in contact with; it lessens the amount of infection we can transmit by catching droplets that contain the infectious agent released when we breathe, cough or sneeze.
A mask may not protect the wearer, shields are worn by people who are dealing with confirmed cases, if they can get them.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30134-X/fulltext

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
maybe the ebola virus was bigger.

Ebola virus is 80nm in diameter, although anything up to 140,000nm long and WHO recommend wearing of masks.
Covid virus is 120 nm, WHO say don't bother.

Might have to get the plague mask out.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However they can only be worn once. If you make your own you will need to wash after every outing. Stay safe.
Why? it's a barrier why can it only be worn once?
The main aim is to avoid spraying others..

lindisfel

Expert
I think that wearing a face mask helps protect those we come in contact with; it lessens the amount of infection we can transmit by catching droplets that contain the infectious agent released when we breathe, cough or sneeze.
A mask may not protect the wearer, shields are worn by people who are dealing with confirmed cases, if they can get them.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30134-X/fulltext
If everybody wears one it will stop transmission of aerosols and droplets from the subclinical to the uninfected.
D.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's more to stop anyone who has it spreading the virus further by sneezing or coughing on others.

Although advice does seem conflicting...

Last night was picking up an elderly friend from Heathrow and saw an asian couple in full hazmat suits with masks and googles wheeling their trolley into the airport!

Off piste rather, but was that incoming from BKK? Those flights are a bit like hens' teeth if so.