Hba1C test booked this week - should I cancel?

svgittins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a 3 monthly a1C test booked in 5 days. My inclination is to cancel this as its not essential, involves going to medical practice, and it looks like there is going to be a big increase in Covid-19 infections in London, where I live.

Some background - I was diagnosed 9 months ago with a very high Hba1C (117) but since then seem to have managed to get things well under control with LCHF diet, metformin and weight loss. At my last test three months ago my Hba1C was 38 mmol/mol, but this week's test would only be my third post diagnosis test so all 3 of the tests I have had in the past year have had really different results. I have kept more or less to my diet regime and I am hoping things have not changed too much (e.g. my weight is at almost the same as last test). I am 64 years old.

My feeling is going to a doctor's surgery in central London at this time and having a blood sample taken is just a risk not worth taking. Does anyone feel differently?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My next diabetic review including bloods is due the end of April, beginning of May and I have already had a text message from my practice saying they are not doing annual diabetic reviews at the moment. They have provided a phone number to call if I have any concerns about my diabetes.
I’m surprised your surgery hasn’t contacted you yet, however you sound like you’re doing well with your control so if I was in your position I would be inclined to email rather than phone suggesting you postpone yours too.

svgittins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My next diabetic review including bloods is due the end of April, beginning of May and I have already had a text message from my practice saying they are not doing annual diabetic reviews at the moment. They have provided a phone number to call if I have any concerns about my diabetes.
I’m surprised your surgery hasn’t contacted you yet, however you sound like you’re doing well with your control so if I was in your position I would be inclined to email rather than phone suggesting you postpone yours too.
That is interesting that the policy at your doctors is to postpone reviews - my surgery sent me a text confirmation of my appointment a couple of days ago.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is interesting that the policy at your doctors is to postpone reviews - my surgery sent me a text confirmation of my appointment a couple of days ago.

Have you checked your surgery website? That would be my first step. Reminders and confirmations are often sent automatically, computer generated.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Are you testing your blood glucose with a meter? If so and they are stable i wouldn't take the risk of going for your review. However you might want to phone your GP to discuss it.

Reactions: johnrubinstein

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I share your reluctance @svgittins - I cancelled my foot check a couple of weeks ago as I didn’t deem it essential (also in a crowded area of London).

From what you write it sounds like you’re not monitoring your own blood glucose levels. It would be worth starting to do this if that’s the case, so you get early warning signs of any radical changes to your levels. @Rachox can help with information about the most commonly used ones among those self-funding.

84green

I have a 3 monthly a1C test booked in 5 days. My inclination is to cancel this as its not essential, involves going to medical practice, and it looks like there is going to be a big increase in Covid-19 infections in London, where I live.

Some background - I was diagnosed 9 months ago with a very high Hba1C (117) but since then seem to have managed to get things well under control with LCHF diet, metformin and weight loss. At my last test three months ago my Hba1C was 38 mmol/mol, but this week's test would only be my third post diagnosis test so all 3 of the tests I have had in the past year have had really different results. I have kept more or less to my diet regime and I am hoping things have not changed too much (e.g. my weight is at almost the same as last test). I am 64 years old.

My feeling is going to a doctor's surgery in central London at this time and having a blood sample taken is just a risk not worth taking. Does anyone feel differently?

I am also due a quarterly check next week. I am keen to know the figure as I have lost 52 lbs in the last 12 weeks. Regularly monitoring my levels and hope to see a reduction from my 56 mmol/mol in February.

I have arranged to have this via a private service and will email the results to my surgery.

I recently started taking a statin and did this last week to check my lipids and liver function. Posted the sample on Thursday, received the results by email the following day.

May be something to consider, if you are keen to get the results.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
My checks were cancelled the day before a couple of weeks ago however hubbys warfarin tests still needed so he goes in 2 weekly ,scary times

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal , if you want to get one @svgittins here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: 84green

svgittins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I share your reluctance @svgittins - I cancelled my foot check a couple of weeks ago as I didn’t deem it essential (also in a crowded area of London).

From what you write it sounds like you’re not monitoring your own blood glucose levels. It would be worth starting to do this if that’s the case, so you get early warning signs of any radical changes to your levels. @Rachox can help with information about the most commonly used ones among those self-funding.
Thanks @Chook and @Goonergal - but in fact I regularly monitor my blood glucose levels and use the MySugr app to track them. During last few months I am usually under 6, but several times a week up to 6.5, but very rarely higher. According to the MySugr I have a low 30s estimated Hba1C but in the past I have never found it accurately estimates the actual reading I get, alway giving a much lower value than I actually receive. I have discussed this situation on these forums previously, and in fact in the past months I have tried to be much more rigorous (only testing morning fasting, before eating and 2 hours afterwards) so it would have been interesting to see whether it was any more accurate. BUT - it would interesting, but not worth getting sick over, and I think I am okay, maybe I could be into pre-diabetic ranges, but unlikely for anything to be seriously worried about.

84green

Any particular reason why?

Prescribed by cardiologist (40mg Atorvastatin) following a diagnosis of non obstructive coronary artery disease.

My cholesterol was OK (high end of normal) but his advice was that it was helpful in stabilising existing plaque.

Whilst I’m happy I can manage my cholesterol without it, I think the stabilisation of plaque is important.

Meds to be reviewed with him shortly.

Max68

I wondered about this. Since Jan 2018 my HBA1C was 53, 49, 49, 48 but then in December had shot up to 58 in 6 months. I was shocked but I had a real bad 6 months with my mum having dementia and moving into care so I suspect I fell off the wagon a fair bit. Was due a re test in June but no idea if that will happen now. Ironically with all this self isolating I'm doing a bit on the exercise bike and only eating what the next door neighbour can get me so no take aways!!!! Will see if by June things have calmed down although I very much doubt it.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I saw my GP (yes saw - in person) on 19th March. The COVID-19 emergency was well underway then. This appointment was primarily nothing to do with my diabetes but the subject did come up in passing. I had previously been advised to go for a HbA1c test in May but my GP wants to bring it forward to April. I did question that on the basis of what's going on with the NHS and COVID-19 and he assured me that it'd be OK although I'll have to book an appointment instead of the usual 'drop-in' system. I found that a bit strange TBH. My local phlebotomy department isn't in Central London but in one of the outlying boroughs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it be the case that covid testing is only happening in certain places? So all other labs are probably seeing a lower case load as fewer people are having the usual run of tests due to minimal appointments etc If that’s true then hb1ac’s are more about risks of exposure/ nurse/phlebotomists availability than capability of labs. Mine rarely have an appointment after but I guess that’s another issue with staffing levels. - just thinking out loud here. Mine is due end of May see what’s happening nearer the time I guess

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prescribed by cardiologist (40mg Atorvastatin) following a diagnosis of non obstructive coronary artery disease.

My cholesterol was OK (high end of normal) but his advice was that it was helpful in stabilising existing plaque.

Whilst I’m happy I can manage my cholesterol without it, I think the stabilisation of plaque is important.

Did you get a CAC scan?

84green

Did you get a CAC scan?

As part of a CT cardio angiogram, yes. 133 - which subsequent, irrelevant, research showed was the same score as Donald Trump had during his pre presidential medical.

The artery blockages ranged from minimal (1 -24%) to mild (25 - 49%).

So medication and lifestyle changes prescribed. This includes controlling my blood sugar and reducing blood pressure - the weight loss and increased exercise seems to have helped with both.

Started with the Newcastle Diet but moved on to focusing on low carb. ND was useful for a quick start. LC seems as effective in terms of weight loss and blood sugar, with the added benefits of being more tasty and sustainable!

Last edited:

svgittins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update from my original post. Today (Monday 23rd March) I was intending to cancel my blood test appointment using my medical practice's website. Before I got around to doing this, one of the nurses called up to tell me they were cancelling the appointment (due in 4 days from now) as it is a non-essential routine check. This makes sense.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is due in May as well and I was told that if I felt I needed one they would do it but otherwise not too worry however if I felt unwell to give them a ring.

Reactions: Rachox

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Watch your BS levels - my hba1c went up 6 points from 48 to 54 when I started taking statins. Came off them due to other side effects and hba1c now at non-diabetic levels