Diabetes worse with Covid 19

dingdong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,
First got the virus 6 weeks ago, the worst passed after 3 days but I have been suffering with this illness for the last 6 weeks.
I noted that my blood sugars were a lot higher all the time. Contacted GP and was put on 2 lots of antibiotics. These didn't help virus problems but I noted my sugar levels were better.
GP said that it's normal for them to be higher when the immune system is fighting an infection.
Now I'm off antibiotics levels have gone up again.
Just wondering if anyone else is having these issues ?

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI DING DONG
BORIS JOHNSON look like he had in avery severe form but it may last longer than we know .
so give it a week or 2 it may linger on more than we know it s a virus we do not know what and how did you get it
its look to airborne poss ie people in care home must be bought in by staff or air condition filters not changed etc poss you tell me
i know of a great friend 10 years ago who'd died and he was in confined air space not proven but air condition may have been a factor
ps ask doc or nurse for testing strips i you are using them keep diary check 4/6 times at if still high than per normal ..
steady small increase s say every 3 days till you get back to normal
good luck vic 63 years on insulin bold and steady does it

dingdong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply.
I'm happy that no one has replied to this thread with similar problems as it shows how many have not had the virus or had it without issues.
Long may that continue

Reactions: youngl31

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
My whole extended family had this virus simultaneously in February. That’s seven of us. Two of us diabetic. Can’t guarantee it was Covid because no testing. It was so early in the epidemic we just thought we had a really odd virus.
The severity of it ranged from a bit of a cough, and a week of sore eyes, to months of recovery, with antibiotics. It all started the same way, - a dry cough, a feeling of being ill for about four days, then it either cleared up or came back as a deep chest infection. That took weeks and weeks to clear up.
I am diabetic and recovered in a week, although I was left with very painful sinuses and eyes for a month, my sister is the other diabetic and was off sick and poorly for two months.
The after effects seem to linger a long time. Four of us got conjunctivitis that goes on and on. Three had the inflamed sinus problem. Even the one year old had it for a few weeks, but she only had a mild illness

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hello all,
First got the virus 6 weeks ago, the worst passed after 3 days but I have been suffering with this illness for the last 6 weeks.
I noted that my blood sugars were a lot higher all the time. Contacted GP and was put on 2 lots of antibiotics. These didn't help virus problems but I noted my sugar levels were better.
GP said that it's normal for them to be higher when the immune system is fighting an infection.
Now I'm off antibiotics levels have gone up again.
Just wondering if anyone else is having these issues ?

I have this issue . I hope you are better. Do u have any updates ?

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Im currently recovering from Covid. My levels last month averaged 6-7mmol and could handle 30+ carbs per meal without a huge spike, but Covid has sent them 14+ daily. I have reduced to 10 carbs per meal, but that's not helping my levels. I'm over the virus and feel great, except for my blood sugar levels. I assume our bodies are still fighting the virus off. I believe it will start to come down over time.

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hi, Im currently recovering from Covid. My levels last month averaged 6-7mmol and could handle 30+ carbs per meal without a huge spike, but Covid has sent them 14+ daily. I have reduced to 10 carbs per meal, but that's not helping my levels. I'm over the virus and feel great, except for my blood sugar levels. I assume our bodies are still fighting the virus off. I believe it will start to come down over time.

Same to me , except that my base bg is ok ( around 5). But after I eat , it’s much higher than before .

I hope it gets better ? Are u getting better ? For me it has been 3 months .