humulin m3 mix hypos v basal/boluschypos

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m newly diagnosed T1 lada on humulin m3. Had a couple bad hypos as I have to be consistent with carb intake each day. Week 3 I’m finding it hard going and nurse has reduced my pre dinner dosage from 12 to 8, pre breakfast is 12.
Question. If I changed to the other type of insulin most of you seem to be on, do you get less hypos? I’m panicking about life after covid 19 and visits to the gym and eating out etc as currently have to inject 20 mins before eating,
Anyone change from humulin m3 to basal/bolus? Good move? Do you still have to eat the same amount of carbs each day? Thankyou x

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone change from humulin m3 to basal/bolus? Good move? Do you still have to eat the same amount of carbs each day? Thankyou x
Basal/bolus allows a lot lot more flexibility, you can eat when you want and how much or little you want - though you do have to work out your carb ratios for each meal as they can differ, and you have to take insulin with each meal (ie more injections) but yes a lot more flexible and works better for many people.
Note: many still have to take their insulin a certain time before eating so you may still have to deal with that, but thats just part of taking insulin

Reactions: GuidingSenses