1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

humulin m3 mix hypos v basal/boluschypos

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by GuidingSenses, Apr 18, 2020.

1. GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi, I’m newly diagnosed T1 lada on humulin m3. Had a couple bad hypos as I have to be consistent with carb intake each day. Week 3 I’m finding it hard going and nurse has reduced my pre dinner dosage from 12 to 8, pre breakfast is 12.
    Question. If I changed to the other type of insulin most of you seem to be on, do you get less hypos? I’m panicking about life after covid 19 and visits to the gym and eating out etc as currently have to inject 20 mins before eating,
    Anyone change from humulin m3 to basal/bolus? Good move? Do you still have to eat the same amount of carbs each day? Thankyou x

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Basal/bolus allows a lot lot more flexibility, you can eat when you want and how much or little you want - though you do have to work out your carb ratios for each meal as they can differ, and you have to take insulin with each meal (ie more injections) but yes a lot more flexible and works better for many people.
    Note: many still have to take their insulin a certain time before eating so you may still have to deal with that, but thats just part of taking insulin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook