big thank you - cholesterol question

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted help for my question about cholesterol - you're all stars as far as I'm concerned for the time and care you've taken to help me and others.

I've followed the links, read the articles/watched the videos you've sent over this weekend and let it all sink in a bit.

I am feeling much more hopeful about ways forward, very much more informed about useful questions to ask at my consultant's appointment and very much encouraged to continue my HCLF diet, with maybe a few additional tweaks. I certainly won't be taking statins at this point and that's for sure!

Em :):)

kimlala

I was on low carb/high fat diet, and my cholesterol went through the roof. Originally, I had been following Dr. B's diet (cholesterol results were fine), but I went on to follow a keto diet. Dr. wanted to put me on stains asp, as cholesterol total was 385, not kidding. I refused, but for the next 6 months I cut out all cheeses (really hard as I love cheese) dairy, with exception of a little in coffee. I continued eating meat and chicken. I dropped Total cholesterol to 276. HDL's were a level of 116 (due to exercise, I always have good HDL's) LDL were 147, Triglycerides were 43, TC/HDL ratio was a 2.4, and LDL/HDL ratio was a 1.3. For me, I have to be careful with high levels of fat, and save cheese for holidays. Best of luck.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on low carb/high fat diet, and my cholesterol went through the roof. Originally, I had been following Dr. B's diet (cholesterol results were fine), but I went on to follow a keto diet. Dr. wanted to put me on stains asp, as cholesterol total was 385, not kidding. I refused, but for the next 6 months I cut out all cheeses (really hard as I love cheese) dairy, with exception of a little in coffee. I continued eating meat and chicken. I dropped Total cholesterol to 276. HDL's were a level of 116 (due to exercise, I always have good HDL's) LDL were 147, Triglycerides were 43, TC/HDL ratio was a 2.4, and LDL/HDL ratio was a 1.3. For me, I have to be careful with high levels of fat, and save cheese for holidays. Best of luck.

The important ratio is Trigs/HDL and yours was stunning..
If you are worried about heart problems get a CAC scan so you can see what is really going on rather than using cholesterol as a poor proxy.

kimlala

@bulkbiker, Update on blood/cholesterol test: Cholesterol went down from 276 to 213, HDL: 118, Triglycerides: 41, LDL: 83. It has taken me just about a yr. of really monitoring dairy, cheese, ect, to get back down. Dr. pushed statins, and still thinks I take them (never have and never will, tired of fighting with Dr./medical community). :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker, Update on blood/cholesterol test: Cholesterol went down from 276 to 213, HDL: 118, Triglycerides: 41, LDL: 83. It has taken me just about a yr. of really monitoring dairy, cheese, ect, to get back down. Dr. pushed statins, and still thinks I take them (never have and never will, tired of fighting with Dr./medical community). :)
Excellent, well done you!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on low carb/high fat diet, and my cholesterol went through the roof.
Me too! I need to lower my triglycerides in particular. I struggle with the idea of eating a lot less cheese as it plays such an important role in my life. I researched and was pleased to find a theory that increasing fibre is more helpful in lowering cholesterol than reducing fat is. Trying to keep under Dr B's 30g carbs daily, I had accepted that I just wasn't going to be able to eat much fibre. Now I am succeeding in consuming the 30g fibre recommended daily for women (not by Dr B). This is by eating a sort of pudding morning and evening which includes Slim rice, chia seeds, psyllium, ground linseed and a small portion of stewed rhubarb (the only fruit OKed by Dr B) plus whey protein and double cream. Plus about 3 portions of low carb vegetables (not with the pudding). Of course I am also trying to find ways of reducing my fat intake, but not too drastically. After all, one does have to eat SOMETHING. I won't know how well I am succeeding until my next blood test in 3-4 months time.

I just hope I will be as succesful as you have been. Congratulations! I have been surprised and relieved to find that my GP is not particularly keen to put me on statins. I was anticipating a battle.