1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

big thank you - cholesterol question

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by Em16, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Em16

Em16 LADA · Active Member

Hi, I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted help for my question about cholesterol - you're all stars as far as I'm concerned for the time and care you've taken to help me and others.

I've followed the links, read the articles/watched the videos you've sent over this weekend and let it all sink in a bit.

I am feeling much more hopeful about ways forward, very much more informed about useful questions to ask at my consultant's appointment and very much encouraged to continue my HCLF diet, with maybe a few additional tweaks. I certainly won't be taking statins at this point and that's for sure!

Em :):)

• Winner Winner x 4
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I hope you don't mean a High Carb Low Fat diet!

otherwise its all been in vain!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Em16

Em16 LADA · Active Member

:) I definitely meant high fat low carb!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. kimlala

kimlala · Well-Known Member

I was on low carb/high fat diet, and my cholesterol went through the roof. Originally, I had been following Dr. B's diet (cholesterol results were fine), but I went on to follow a keto diet. Dr. wanted to put me on stains asp, as cholesterol total was 385, not kidding. I refused, but for the next 6 months I cut out all cheeses (really hard as I love cheese) dairy, with exception of a little in coffee. I continued eating meat and chicken. I dropped Total cholesterol to 276. HDL's were a level of 116 (due to exercise, I always have good HDL's) LDL were 147, Triglycerides were 43, TC/HDL ratio was a 2.4, and LDL/HDL ratio was a 1.3. For me, I have to be careful with high levels of fat, and save cheese for holidays. Best of luck.

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

The important ratio is Trigs/HDL and yours was stunning..
    If you are worried about heart problems get a CAC scan so you can see what is really going on rather than using cholesterol as a poor proxy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook