Free style Libre arrow

Vana

Good afternoon to all users I am Vana from Greece, a new member here and longing to read all your answers to diabetes 1 issues (i have many questions)

So, i have freestyle libre for approximately a year and i am really concerned about the horizontal and vertical arrow, that shows the sharp fall and sharp rise of glucose.

For example, one day as i was walking, i checked my blood levels and i saw 100 mg/dL with sharp fall of glucose. I didn't have anything sweet with me and kept walking quickly. Luckily i found 1 euro and bought an orage juice. Glocose continued falling and at 60 mg/dL started stabilising. But i thought what if i didn't have any money....

My question is, is it so easy for glucose to drop so quickly that if you don't have something sweet you will faint; That demn arrows get me reallyyyy anxious and i want to get over it.

Apart from this, sometimes i have second thoughts about this reader because i have checked it too many times and i have found significant differences with the blood glucose monitor. But, that feeling of liberty it creates you, dominates.

Thank you a lot... Waiting for your answers.
Trend-arrows-in-the-FreeStyle-Libre-systems-The-FreeStyle-Libre-systems-present-trend.jpg

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
There is always a time lag between a normal blood glucose meter and the libre as the libre is not measuring blood it’s measuring the fluid under the skin so it take longer for glucose changes to show up

2 nd yes blood glucose can fall quickly especially when doing unexpected activity which is why many insulin treated diabetics carry glucose tablets... in the uk it’s a requirement to have something to treat hypo when driving

Last edited:
Reactions: Vana

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My question is, is it so easy for glucose to drop so quickly that if you don't have something sweet you will faint; That demn arrows get me reallyyyy anxious and i want to get over it.

Speaking from experience here (there's nothing like trying to buy something sweet in a shopping centre when you are too low to work out how), you MUST always always always have something sweet with you when you go out. I may leave my wallet or blood testing kit behind (if for a shortish walk) but I always have my glucose, even if I'm just walking to the end of my field (I live in the country).

As regards the libre, it isn't 100% reliable (it matches your blood sugar ten minutes ago) and works much much better for some than others (doesn't work at all for me after I developed an allergy to it), but if it works for you at all it is an awesome awesome gadget.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I completely agree with @EllieM , that's the way i do it too. Some people carry a bottle of Lucozade and others gluco tabs. I am using dextro energy tablets although i would much prefer fizzy cola bottles but would eat them before i need them. :)

Reactions: Vana and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
but would eat them before i need them.

I know exactly what you mean about that. The trick is to have something that you are prepared to eat but don't particularly like :).

And anyone in my family who touches my emergency carbohydrate that lives in the car can prepare to be tortured horribly.:):):)

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Vana hope you are well. Completely agree with @EllieM always make sure you have some fast acting glucose with you, particularly when exercising though episodes of low glucose can strike anywhere, even if you're just out shopping. Glucose tabs are a great idea as @enzina suggested because you're not likely to eat them unless you need them though top tip, try not to accidentally give them to the dog whilst out on a walk and be left with pedigrees finest hypo treatment!

Reactions: Vana and EllieM

Vana

Yes i know that, but what counts finally is the result In can't calculate always the time lag...Apart from this, i have checked it too many times and at some cases the difference was 50 units and that was a problem. Despite that, i try to show confidence at this machine, because otherwise it doesn't work. Have a nice day
There is always a time lag between a normal blood glucose meter and the libre as the libre is not measuring blood it’s measuring the fluid under the skin so it take longer for glucose changes to show up

2 nd yes blood glucose can fall quickly especially when doing unexpected activity which is why many insulin treated diabetics carry glucose tablets... in the uk it’s a requirement to have something to treat hypo when driving

Vana

Thanks everyone for your comments I've never written before to a forum for diabetes and i am actually feeling very nice reading comments from people who know exactly what diabetes really is. I am just thinking how easier where things when i was young, when i checked 3 times a day, exercing, did what ever i liked without been so anxious and worried about the numbers. Now I am counting a million times and still can't control my HbA1c(8 % last time). I think the more you know the worse it gets Anyway that' s another topic "Living with diabetes for 26 years"....Lots of time....Good evening!