Todays meals

RoVic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK,
This Diabetes malarkey can be very confusing to a newbie!
But I have to do the best I can and thanks to this great forum I know I'll soon be told if I'm doing wrong!
So my meals today ware: This morning at 06.00 started the with: Toast (Hovis Granary Wholemeal) for my tablets (five of them) then nothing till Dinner 13.00: had two egg's, two sausages, mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes one slice of Hovis.
mid afternoon: kewi fruit and apple, nothing since not until about 21.00 probably have a cheese sandwich.
Now what have I done wrong ?? or am I doing good??
I'll Admit this is very hard cause the wife would normally be doing a roast on a Tuesday !!!!!

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
depends what position your HBA1C is in. But what I would say is that you have listed at least 4 slices of Hovis and would equate to 50 g of carbs which is more carbs than most would want in a day. You might have less carbs in the roast if you go light on the potatoes. Don't forget that carbs turn to sugar and will push up your readings.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you expect to achieve eating this way?

Toast will spike your blood sugar (probably especially in the morning).
Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, fine sausages depends on quality and tomatoes can be problematic.. bread again always pretty bad
Kiwi and apple best avoided (as are "snacks" generally)
Sandwich.. that bread again.. just have the cheese and some more cheese and maybe some ham o cold meat with it.

The roast with green veg and no spuds could well have turned out better.

I'm guessing you aren't testing your blood sugar otherwise it would probably have been through the roof.

Well you did ask!

RoVic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
depends what position your HBA1C is in. But what I would say is that you have listed at least 4 slices of Hovis and would equate to 50 g of carbs which is more carbs than most would want in a day. You might have less carbs in the roast if you go light on the potatoes. Don't forget that carbs turn to sugar and will push up your readings.

Thanks for the info, I never realised in just 4 slices there was that many Carbs! all in I have to take 9 tablets a day most with a food! so now I'm wondering what the alternative could be apart from bread? Been doing it this way for 11 years now and the bread is quick and simple!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to take food before tablets in the morning. I get sliced gouda and have a slice or two. No carbs.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the info, I never realised in just 4 slices there was that many Carbs! all in I have to take 9 tablets a day most with a food! so now I'm wondering what the alternative could be apart from bread? Been doing it this way for 11 years now and the bread is quick and simple!
We can only tell you what we prefer to eat, an alternative to carbs is the way to go.
It all depends on where you are, your availability of fresh food, your taste, your bank account.
If you want ideas, recipes and what most T2s eat on a low carb, higher fat diet, the carb forum is chock full of it!

Roast meat is a good idea,, but be careful with the rest, I don't eat bread no more!
I cook a roast meal for the wife twice a week, but I can only eat the meat!

Keep safe

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
You don’t mention what your blood glucose figures are at so it’s difficult to help with food until you test I certainly eat things like bacon, eggs ,bread etc and I don’t get high figures
Test ,test , test it’s what suites you and how you want to live some go to extreme low to no carbs others are happy getting that middle bit and still have decent figures

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK,
This Diabetes malarkey can be very confusing to a newbie!
But I have to do the best I can and thanks to this great forum I know I'll soon be told if I'm doing wrong!
So my meals today ware: This morning at 06.00 started the with: Toast (Hovis Granary Wholemeal) for my tablets (five of them) then nothing till Dinner 13.00: had two egg's, two sausages, mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes one slice of Hovis.
mid afternoon: kewi fruit and apple, nothing since not until about 21.00 probably have a cheese sandwich.
Now what have I done wrong ?? or am I doing good??
I'll Admit this is very hard cause the wife would normally be doing a roast on a Tuesday !!!!!
18.7grams per slice of Hovis... And you had 5 in one go. That's 93,5 grams of carbs right there. Unless that's five tablets rather than 5 slices. ;)

Kiwi about 11 grams of carbs, one apple about 21 grams, and then there's more bread, bread and bread....

So yeah, you really should get back to the drawing board here. If you absolutely want fruit, go for berries (with cream!) or starfruit. The sausages, were they high-meat content? Because if they weren't, odds are they contain starchy fillers. The mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes (in moderation), and eggs were fine. Maybe have an extra egg or two and skip the toast? The cheese is fine, but not the toast it went with. A cheese roll-up might be better for you (with butter and ham, or something). As for the roast, that's a British thing and I'm Dutch, but here's my guess, people, please correct me because I'm going on wikipedia here: if you just have the meat and above-ground veg, crackling, maybe a bit of pud (? never had it) but not too much, and keep calm with the gravy, assuming it's thickened somehow with starches... You should be able to enjoy it. Just steer clear of the spuds and such.

RoVic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don’t mention what your blood glucose figures are at so it’s difficult to help with food until you test I certainly eat things like bacon, eggs ,bread etc and I don’t get high figures
Test ,test , test it’s what suites you and how you want to live some go to extreme low to no carbs others are happy getting that middle bit and still have decent figures

Yes it hasn't taken me long to come to the conclushion everybody's different! what is confusing is that different members have different ways of controlling thier diabetes, and what suits one person wouldn't necessarily suit someone else's.
I'm still a newbie at this but I've picked up lot of info, and reading through the threads can be somewhat entertaining !!! I've always looked after myself and kepted reasonably fit!
I'm a long distence truck driver so dinner isn't aways at the same time each day and transport cafes don't feed diabetics!!!! this being the reason for the "fri-ups" and bread, this morning I was up at 03.30 so had my pills with one round of Hovis Low carb, then breakfast at 09.00 transport cafe style! then at midday my reading was just 5.1 which I'm quite pleased with!! that's it till I get home tonight when I'll enjoy my rum & coke (diet)...... But we'll see how it goes....

Reactions: Serena51

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
T2 diabetes can be confusing, but it can also be made simple if you just remember it means your body can't really handle carbs. Food that's high in carbs is bad for your diabetes.

so out of your list...
Toast is bad
eggs are great,
sausages are great if they are meat without too much filler
mushrooms are great
bacon is great
tomatoes are fruit, so not optimal, but not the worst
kiwi fruit isn't the worst fruit out there, but not optimal
apple is best avoided
cheese sandwich is best avoided because of the bread. Cheese is good though, if it's real cheese
Your Tuesday roast would be fine with some modifications- roast beef, lamb, gammon- all great
Potatoes and root vegetables best avoided
green vegetables are generally great

To be more comprehensive, I like Dr. Bernstein's list:

Avoid all foods with added sugar or honey such as desserts, candies, and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta, and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, and beans; all fresh or preserved fruits and fruit juices; all dairy products except for butter, cream, and fermented cheeses.

Reactions: Serena51 and RoVic

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it hasn't taken me long to come to the conclushion everybody's different! what is confusing is that different members have different ways of controlling thier diabetes, and what suits one person wouldn't necessarily suit someone else's.
I'm still a newbie at this but I've picked up lot of info, and reading through the threads can be somewhat entertaining !!! I've always looked after myself and kepted reasonably fit!
@RoVic you’re right we are all different and the only way that you will know what you can or should not eat is by testing. I am lucky in that I can still maintain my hba1c at non diabetic levels on approx 100g carbs per day so can vary my diet. I still eat bread, albeit low carb, and a couple of small potatoes most days. I also have low carb foods such as eggs, meat, cheese, Greek yoghurt etc. I do ‘experiment’ and eat something that is quite carby eg Jacket Potato and through testing I determine whether or not I am ok with it - which, after having them on 3 occasions, I am. However Scampi is still my nemesis and is one food that I love but need to avoid!!

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d suggest reduce the bread and increase vegetables and proteins