Confused

xboxlive1

Diagnosed as a “type 1” with a bs of 30 and keytones . Fast forward after a bit of time on insulin I am now completely off all medications with good bs readings the odd high reading here and there but overall good. My DNS says I’m in my honeymoon stage my question is could I have been misdiagnosed ? I phoned the nurse and they confirmed my gut feeling they hadn’t carried into any tests at diagnosis not even a HBA1c.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@xboxlive1 . Welcome to the forum.
You have been tested and the results came back. High ( 30 ) BS and ketones. What led you to have this test done initially?
A brief history of me.
At age 27 I started to experience considerable weight loss, fatigue ( always sleeping ), intermittent blurred vision, unquenchable thirst ( 10+ cans of sugary pop daily ), non stop urinating ( 4 to 6 times nightly) throughout the day, yeast infections and a general feeling of not being quite right.
I visited my GP, performed a urine test there and then. Within 12 hours I injected my first insulin shot.
This was at a time when the insulin we used was different to nowadays but nonetheless my dosage requirements changed initially. I was injecting the minimum amount for 6 months or so and I felt absolutely great. All my previous symptoms had gone and I thought I was sorted. This was the honeymoon period. It didn’t last. I was and still am T1.
Later blood test after my initial diagnosis confirmed everything.
My GP diagnosed me correctly without an HbA1C or ketones test. He evaluated all the data.
I obviously don’t know your story but if there are any similarities to mine then don’t ignore, doubt or hide from the fact that you’re diagnosis may be correct.
Good luck with whatever happens.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its possible, fundamentally time will tell. (though a proper Antibody test for Type one would be more helpful).

If you are type 1 in your honey moon, then a low carb careful diet will help extend that period (Will say May extend actual as thats a bit of a debate guess), if your misdiagnosed type 2, then a low carb careful diet will help you.

In both instances, eat well, keep testing and look after yourself.

Fingers crossed, but both conditions are manageable so try and keep your chin up, the main thing is to keep the numbers in control. If your numbers start going out of control and your still maintaining a good diet that will probably end up being a confirmation of type 1 in any case.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Diagnosed as a “type 1” with a bs of 30 and keytones . Fast forward after a bit of time on insulin I am now completely off all medications with good bs readings the odd high reading here and there but overall good. My DNS says I’m in my honeymoon stage my question is could I have been misdiagnosed ? I phoned the nurse and they confirmed my gut feeling they hadn’t carried into any tests at diagnosis not even a HBA1c.

Welcome to to the forum :)

If you were experiencing symptoms like @therower has mentioned above then it's inevitable that your diagnosis was correct as as others have alluded the 'honeymoon' is just a phase and will pass, best advice is to keep testing regularly, although you're off medication now at some point your pancreas will give up the ghost so be prepared for this. The honeymoon is a good time to get knowledgeable about type 1 and learn as much as you can. Mine lasted for around a year, but everyone has a different experience some alot shorter and others it can last for a few years, I still had to take insulin though throughout mine. Good luck with things, let us know how you get on ;)