I have diabetes, don’t know what type.

Tel14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
I am in the process of being diagnosed with diabetes- I say that because, I know I have it, but still waiting to see wether it is type I, type II or possibly LADA.

Some background:
About mid Feb/ early March this year I started to get all the classical symptoms. Unquenchable thirst, frequent urination day and night (up 6-7 x during the night), 1 stone weight loss, and a gentian thrush infection (sorry)!
Like most people, initially diabetes didn’t really feature high up on list of things I thought this was as I felt I could explain my symptoms away. But the longer they went on, the more I began to suspect.
Fortunately for me I am a nurse so knew the symptoms to look for and could tick them all off. Still not convinced, I decided to do a urinalysis test- more to satisfy myself that I didn’t have diabetes! Imagine my surprise when the glucose indication window immediately turned a very dark green!! Another test in case somehow the fist test was wrong- same result.
Now as I say I am a nurse, normally work in endoscopy but had gone to work in ITU to help out during Covid crisis- when I did the test I was in the middle of a 12 hour shift. On my break I phoned the GP (who have all been fantastic). No face to face appointments due to corona virus, but nurse would call me next day.
Explained symptoms and given a face to face appointment.
BM checked 29.9- ok maybe this is diabetes...HbA1c checked 107 :wideyed:
At this point I should explain that I am a 35 year old male, go running 3x per week, dog walk at least once per day, have a good diet, 6’ 2” and weigh 70kg with no family history.
I don’t seem to be either a typical type I, or type II presentation. So at present I am stuck, waiting blood tests and scans. I have had GAD antibody test but not had a result yet. My GP suspects (and so do I) that I may have LADA.
I was initially started on Metformin but it did nothing- when I went back the following week my BM was still 29. Now commenced on Gliclazide 40mg once daily. With this and cutting out all sugar from my diet have managed to get BM down to mid to high teens. Managed to get it below 10 a few times but only after 6 mile runs!

At the moment I just feel completely in limbo. I hate this waiting bit. I feel like once I know what I am dealing with I will be able to just get on.
How long have people had to wait for GAD results?
Anyone reading this who has been diagnosed with LADA? How does my story compare?

Thanks for taking the time to read this- makes me feel better to get it all down.

Edited by mod to replace thinly disguised expletive with an emoticon.

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

Obviously you need the test results for diagnosis. In the meantime what is your carb intake like?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they just do GAD antibodies? No others? No c peptide? Gad can be negative despite type 1/LADA . If it’s positive it’s definite though.

I’ve seen people here wait a month for results. And sometimes less. It’s very variable.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I’m LADA - diagnosed with diabetes early January and put on Gliclazide (eventually up to max dose) awaiting results which took a month. I’m now taking insulin. There’s a LADA board on here with questions/replies that may help too. Like you I was healthy, fit, no family history etc so I understand it’s all a shock. Hopefully you will find out soon

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only got the C-peptide and GAD test two years after being diagnosed with 'diabetes'.
That said, I started insulin a month after diagnosis and Gliclazide not doing enough, based on my blood glucose levels. So I had been treated as a T1/LADA for quite a while, which worked (and works) just fine.

Tests turned out inconclusive. I've spoken about testing for different antibodies with my internist and we decided to leave things as they are. Based on symptoms and treatment she was happy to diagnose me with T1/LADA.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I only got the C-peptide and GAD test two years after being diagnosed with 'diabetes'.
That said, I started insulin a month after diagnosis and Gliclazide not doing enough, based on my blood glucose levels. So I had been treated as a T1/LADA for quite a while, which worked (and works) just fine.

Tests turned out inconclusive. I've spoken about testing for different antibodies with my internist and we decided to leave things as they are. Based on symptoms and treatment she was happy to diagnose me with T1/LADA.

Treatment wise you are better off with a T1 diagnosis

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Treatment wise you are better off with a T1 diagnosis
Doesn't make much of a difference where I live, as far as I know. My treatment didn't change at all after the diagnosis, although I did move from GP care to hospital care.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is a typical type 1 presentation?
At age 35 doesn’t necessarily mean you will be LADA. as opposed to Type 1.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Doesn't make much of a difference where I live, as far as I know. My treatment didn't change at all after the diagnosis, although I did move from GP care to hospital care.

As a type 1 you qualify for

Freestyle libre
Insulin pump
Diabetes education

None of the above for T2’s

I will honestly say in the 10 years I was classed as T2 I got the bear minimum of care and now reclassified T1 the care I get is totally different

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. From what you say, T1/LADA is very likely. BTW T1 and LADA are the same thing in adulthood but when it occurs in adulthood it can sometimes be quite slow to progress and have what's know as the 'Honeymoon' period. Your GP should really have ordered a C-Peptide test as well as GAD. The GAD test assumes the presence of GAD antibodies but there are other rarer antibodies and viruses can damage beta cells. My two private tests for GAD and C-Peptide showed my GAD as negative but C-Peptide low'ish. My more recent C-Peptide test was much lower. I suspect my damage was a virus as I had a high white blood cell count around diagnosis. BTW I suspect you may need mo0re than 40mg of Gliclazide. I was on 320mg/day before insulin and that had no effect.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
A c-peptide test together with a fasting glucose will be a better indicator of how to manage your blood sugars. The c-peptide should also indicate, if it's below the normal range, that you will need to monitor your blood ketones.

Fasting insulin and fasting glucose can help see measure your insulin resistance, a high value is a characteristic of type 2.

Metformin, running intervals and a low carbohydrate diet helped me manage my bloods sugars while they were completing tests. I wouldn't recommend this as you're on Gliclazide belongs to the sulfonylurea which have a side effect of hypoglycaemia.

My GAD, fasting insulin, fasting glucose and c-peptide tests only took a couple of days.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Freestyle libre
Insulin pump
Diabetes education

I will honestly say in the 10 years I was classed as T2 I got the bear minimum of care and now reclassified T1 the care I get is totally different
Which is why I added "where I live". Different countries, different rules...

The main difference between LADA and T1 is speed of onset, as said above, but they're both T1, as it involves your autoimmune system and antibodies.
Classic T1's need insulin right away, with LADA's it may take a while.

The important difference for you, @Tel14 , is whether you are T1 (including LADA) or T2. But even more important is getting healthier blood sugars.

All the best, and let us know how you get on!

Reactions: Tel14 and JMoli

Slaine2k

Hiya Tel14 I’m kinda in the same situation but I’m not a keyworker I fractured my foot late feb and was told to go get a blood test at gp cause I had calcification on my foot got test 2 weeks after and a week after that told to take metformin and 3 days after that got told take 2 80mg glicazide one in morning and 1 in evening and another blood test for type 3 days later that was 5 weeks ago last week I had a phone call from gp saying still no results and told to take another tablet for cholesterol 1 20mg atorvastatin a night so I’m pretty much the same going crazy waiting

Reactions: Tel14

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is there a difference other than speed of onset?
The difference is the speed of onset. Type 1 is faster and more aggressive as opposed to LADA being slower and less aggressive.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Freestyle libre
Insulin pump
Diabetes education

Not true in my area of the UK. You do NOT qualify for 1 & 2 on your list unless you fit some very specific criteria. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
I am in the process of being diagnosed with diabetes- I say that because, I know I have it, but still waiting to see wether it is type I, type II or possibly LADA.

Some background:
About mid Feb/ early March this year I started to get all the classical symptoms. Unquenchable thirst, frequent urination day and night (up 6-7 x during the night), 1 stone weight loss, and a gentian thrush infection (sorry)!
Like most people, initially diabetes didn’t really feature high up on list of things I thought this was as I felt I could explain my symptoms away. But the longer they went on, the more I began to suspect.
Fortunately for me I am a nurse so knew the symptoms to look for and could tick them all off. Still not convinced, I decided to do a urinalysis test- more to satisfy myself that I didn’t have diabetes! Imagine my surprise when the glucose indication window immediately turned a very dark green!! Another test in case somehow the fist test was wrong- same result.
Now as I say I am a nurse, normally work in endoscopy but had gone to work in ITU to help out during Covid crisis- when I did the test I was in the middle of a 12 hour shift. On my break I phoned the GP (who have all been fantastic). No face to face appointments due to corona virus, but nurse would call me next day.
Explained symptoms and given a face to face appointment.
BM checked 29.9- ok maybe this is diabetes...HbA1c checked 107 :wideyed:
At this point I should explain that I am a 35 year old male, go running 3x per week, dog walk at least once per day, have a good diet, 6’ 2” and weigh 70kg with no family history.
I don’t seem to be either a typical type I, or type II presentation. So at present I am stuck, waiting blood tests and scans. I have had GAD antibody test but not had a result yet. My GP suspects (and so do I) that I may have LADA.
I was initially started on Metformin but it did nothing- when I went back the following week my BM was still 29. Now commenced on Gliclazide 40mg once daily. With this and cutting out all sugar from my diet have managed to get BM down to mid to high teens. Managed to get it below 10 a few times but only after 6 mile runs!

At the moment I just feel completely in limbo. I hate this waiting bit. I feel like once I know what I am dealing with I will be able to just get on.
How long have people had to wait for GAD results?
Anyone reading this who has been diagnosed with LADA? How does my story compare?

Thanks for taking the time to read this- makes me feel better to get it all down.

Edited by mod to replace thinly disguised expletive with an emoticon.

Hi there, in a word, yes, (although my Consultant refuses to use the word LADA and says it's all type 1). I was older than you but after all of the symptoms including 'hi' readings on the glucometer and an hb1ac of 16% (old money, dunno what the equivalent is now), I eventually had the GAD test and it took around 3/4 weeks to come back. On diagnosis I was rushed into hospital with ketones & high levels and it was after that that they did all the other tests (GAD & Peptide). I was put on insulin immediately which I am glad about because NOTHING would have reduced my levels at that time. Whilst you are waiting for what might be weeks on end, please test a lot and have you been told to test for ketones? x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not true in my area of the UK. You do NOT qualify for 1 & 2 on your list unless you fit some very specific criteria. x

Would tend to agree. Number one hasn't been dropped in my lap either. (Still self funding.)

Welcome to the forum @Tel14 ,
Nobody can realy just speculate on what type you are. (Especially me, Boom, I just had it as a birthday treat as a kid. & was rushed to a kiddie ward.)
There seems to be some clues for you..
A definitive diagnosis & appropriate bespoke prescription would be a start, regarding what you are personally dealing with.

Push for the results & once you know. So will we.

Wishing the best of luck.

Reactions: Tel14 and KK123

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for managing to get the tests done at all, I’ve never had them. Was initially told “you must be type 2, otherwise you’d be in the hospital”, then when tablets were doing zilch and they started me on insulin it was “you must be type 1 after all”.

I’ve since asked about GAD etc but as it wouldn’t change my treatment consultant says there’s no point. I’ve managed to get a pump here but only temporary libre funding for pregnancy.