Ayurvedic treatment for type 2

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Has anyone in this group gone through Ayurvedic treatment or medicine for type 2. I prefer natural way of treatment more than Metformin. Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Regards

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No but let us know if it helps. Most of us type 2 cut carbs dramatically to control it successfully

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi

Has anyone in this group gone through Ayurvedic treatment or medicine for type 2. I prefer natural way of treatment more than Metformin. Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Regards

Not T2 so probably shouldn't comment but be aware that there are a large number of less than ethical folk out there who promise wonder cures for T2 diabetes and supply medication with zero effect (at best) and negative effect (at worse). This is a very well known disease and there are a lot of folk working on possible treatments. I'd want to see some hard evidence before trying a medication.

And many many many of the T2s on here successfully use the natural treatment of reducing the carbohydrate in your diet, just as a person who is gluten intolerant reduces the amount of bread that they eat.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently not being treated with any diabetic medication. I immediately started cutting out high carb food after diagnosis and reduced my status to pre-diabetic within a couple of months. I've controlled my diabetes by eating a low carb diet for over six years now, for the last three no longer taking metformin after my GP finally decided I could manage without it. I can't imagine any more natural "treatment" than eating the right food - for me it's simply been a matter of avoiding the carbs that caused my issue in the first place.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This treatment methodology is very common on the Asian Peninsula, and for many T2s there it is often the only means of control available. I have not used it myself, but I have used several alternative treatments that are part of that methodology.

I have used cinnamon, Bitter Melon and Gymnema Sylvestre with some effect (similar to Metformin) but found that whilst these initially seemed to be promising, then after a while the effect wore off, and there was no change in BGL levels when I stopped treatments.

I too have found low carbing dieting has had a major benefit to my health, and surpasses anything I experienced with these supplements. Maybe the full ayurvedic treatment plan works better, but maybe it is also relying on placebo effect. As I say, I have not had a lasting benefit so far. My bgl levels for the last year have all been giving me pre-diabetic HbA1c levels, and that is good enough for me. It may be that my use of supplements did help to clear out some residual Insulin Resistance and did give me an advantage, but I could not prove it.

As has been said by others here, a low carb diet is both effective and Natural, so I recommend it to you as a feasibe way of controlling T2D.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the years I've not seen any article or post that highlights any 'herbal' product that helps with T2. Interestingly Metformin originally came from a plant so could be considered 'herbal' and does work at a low level.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over the years I've not seen any article or post that highlights any 'herbal' product that helps with T2. Interestingly Metformin originally came from a plant so could be considered 'herbal' and does work at a low level.
What is more telling is that not one medical supplier has adopted these supplements on a formal basis (i.e. as a money making venture). It thus falls into the same sort of category as evening primrose oil, St John's Wort, and mineral supplements. Having said that, Metformin is indeed from a plant source as are aspirin, digoxin, senna, and quite a large selection of formal medications that are prescribable by gp's. There are scientific studies for Bitter Melon and Cinamon that are not RCT and are not large scale so do not carry the required tick box approvals required by the EU and western countries, but none the less do support their use in treating diabetes T2D especially on the Asian continent where use is quite common and on a large scale. Here in the west we tend to discount this use as being quackery, but to the people of India et al it is a lifesaver.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel Diet is most important, then exercise then supplements. If want to try ayurveda try bitter gourds, fenugreek seeds. There is not medicine in this world to alone help in diabetes and control its complications.

HolisticView

Hi

Regards

Well it's helped to transform my health and wellbeing enormously in the past couple of years - now to the degree that I'm hoping to train as practitioner of it in the not too distant future.
I'd say definitely look into it if you're somewhat curious and let me know if you'd like any resources as I'd be happy to share what I've come across or at least point you in a direction.
In regards to specifically addressing T2, like most answers in Ayurveda... it depends! Mainly on what the underlying cause is, how deep seated it is, the general health of the individual and then what their level of commitment is to make changes and assist the body to heal. Essentially I don't see how it wouldn't at least bring about some benefit.

Wishing you all the best in your explorations.