Pump eligibility?

Jason 73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
I’m type 1 and have been for the last 22 years. Previously my control hasn’t been good, but since doing DAFNE 18 months ago I have been having Hba1c results of 6.4% so mega pleased. That’s through using what I learnt on DAFNE, carb counting, lifestyle changes and pure hard work but so worth it.
Clearly with my Hba1c of 6.4% I don’t meet criteria for a pump. But, I remember reading somewhere quality of life is also a considered factor. I’m currently injecting basal twice per day and bolus up to 7 times a day (for snacks, correction (not that often though for correction) split doses at dinner etc). Has anyone experienced getting a pump based on a higher number of MDI?
Thanks in advance and stay safe everyone

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I’ll tag @LooperCat
She micromanages her diabetes but it is way more than 7 injections to get good levels.
I guess you’ll have to ask your team again and put forward a good argument for one. But there are other criterias for one and you done one of them which is dafne. It may be more difficult since coronavirus is around, it doesn’t hurt to ask though.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If you are struggling with basal rates or have if to do 8+ injections a day to achieve your control then you can qualify

I doubt unless it’s causing you mental issues and continual worry that youll get one just because you think it will be better

Also worth talking to some pumpers as you may find it’s actually more work than mdi

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jason 73 I was very similar to you before I moved to pumping, testing around 10 times each day although I was also struggling with dawn highs and night time lows in trying to fix overnight issues. Life experience is a considered factor.

Pumping does not reduce the amount of work you need to undertake, if you do not have a GCM then you will need the same amount of finger tests (or more for first 3 months or so). What it will eliminate is the need for seperate injections. The first three months need a lot of work to work out your basal dosage over 24 hrs, then you may need to repeat this a few times a year (for week or so).

I would suggest you speak to your consultant about moving, best wishes.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Chas. I dont have a cgm so the extra i get out of pump is the ability to shut off background which you cant do on mdi unless you happen to know at the one or two basal injection times what the rest of your day will be like.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry, been manic at work so only just seen this! Yes, I got mine based on doing loads of injections - I’d got an HbA1c of around 42 but was doing around 18 jabs a day to achieve it.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long did keep up that rate of injections?
Why did you need that many?

Sorry, been manic at work so only just seen this! Yes, I got mine based on doing loads of injections - I’d got an HbA1c of around 42 but was doing around 18 jabs a day to achieve it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I have upto 10 a day which is why I may be going onto pump

In predictable work pattern one day could be very physical the next quiet so difficult to get the right basal. So having to do many small corrections through the day

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Six months. And it was to stop going high. If I increased my Tresiba by just half a unit a day, I’d be hypo all next day. So I’d microdose half units of Novorapid every hour or so to keep the steady levels I like.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Six months. And it was to stop going high. If I increased my Tresiba by just half a unit a day, I’d be hypo all next day. So I’d microdose half units of Novorapid every hour or so to keep the steady levels I like.

What pump do you use?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Dash or original?

What do you think of it... I’m going to have to make the choice soon.. t slim appeals because I’d like control iq if that comes to the U.K. but don’t know how well I’d get on with a tubed pump, night being my main concern as I more about a lot a night

Omnipod looks good I’ve had a sample pod and I’m surprised how small it is but it seems very wasteful that the whole thing only lasts 3 days

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dash or original?

What do you think of it... I’m going to have to make the choice soon.. t slim appeals because I’d like control iq if that comes to the U.K. but don’t know how well I’d get on with a tubed pump, night being my main concern as I more about a lot a night

Omnipod looks good I’ve had a sample pod and I’m surprised how small it is but it seems very wasteful that the whole thing only lasts 3 days
I use the original Eros pods, as the Dash ones aren’t Loopable. My team offered me the upgrade, but they’re very supportive of my Looping, so are happy for me to stay on the old ones. I love it - most of the time I don’t even realise it’s there, unless I whack it on something. But you soon find out which places work and which don’t.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I use the original Eros pods, as the Dash ones aren’t Loopable. My team offered me the upgrade, but they’re very supportive of my Looping, so are happy for me to stay on the old ones. I love it - most of the time I don’t even realise it’s there, unless I whack it on something. But you soon find out which places work and which don’t.

Yes I’ve been following the loop group on FB not sure as a new patient if I would be offered Eros units

Find out in July :)

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I got my pump because of the number of injections. Over 50 per day and they were causing severe lipohypertrophy. Don't know if that would help the OP though, on a relatively small number (<10).

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I got my pump because of the number of injections. Over 50 per day and they were causing severe lipohypertrophy. Don't know if that would help the OP though, on a relatively small number (<10).

50 a day! WOW....just WOW. That is a huge amount