Copy of letter sent out to NHS GPs re Shielding (03/04/20)

Max68

@HSSS Really? My diabetes nurse told me red or black grapes were good due to their reasonably low GI and Resveratrol compound and said Strawberries were fine and the odd apple wouldn't do any harm. I also have Blueberries. Funnily enough when my HBA1c was stable at 48 I was eating a lot of Strawberries and for some reason stopped and the next result was 58!! Did quite a bit of research on grapes especially and there were opposite trains of thought but I went with the nurse! Thanks for the tip though.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grapes and bananas are the worst two fruits a T2 can have. Some T1s use grapes for hypos. Stick to berries.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS Really? My diabetes nurse told me red or black grapes were good due to their reasonably low GI and Resveratrol compound and said Strawberries were fine and the odd apple wouldn't do any harm. I also have Blueberries. Funnily enough when my HBA1c was stable at 48 I was eating a lot of Strawberries and for some reason stopped and the next result was 58!! Did quite a bit of research on grapes especially and there were opposite trains of thought but I went with the nurse! Thanks for the tip though.

Not wishing to derail the thread, you may find this link interesting:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I still have not received a letter but have had emails from iceland the co-op and asda offering me priority delivery slots and this morning some guys in an army truck deposited not one but three boxes of essential supplies 3 weeks worth at one go, to say the least I am somewhat gobsmacked and a little surprised.

Edit to add I don't quite know where to put it all.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have not received a letter but have had emails from iceland the co-op and asda offering me priority delivery slots and this morning some guys in an army truck deposited not one but three boxes of essential supplies 3 weeks worth at one go, to say the least I am somewhat gobsmacked and a little surprised.

Edit to add I don't quite know where to put it all.
It’s sounding like your letter may have got lost in the post. Perhaps check with the gp

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know that I have just moved a few posts out of this thread into their own new thread, because they were off topic.

The new discussion speculating on co-morbidities and COVID can continue in that new thread, leaving this one for people who have had a letter, or (as above) are clearly included on the Shielding list, but their letter has got lost.
- which will hopefully help those amongst us who are very vulnerable and need to fully isolate, share information.

Reactions: HSSS

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It’s sounding like your letter may have got lost in the post. Perhaps check with the gp
I have tried to check with GP but when I phoned the surgery in the preamble when the call is answered the recorded message makes it quite clear that they can offer no advice on this matter and direct me to go on line to the gov.uk site.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I received a text from NHS telling me I could now register on the Government Vulnerable site. This comes after being told in a letter (received on 2 April) telling me to stay home for at least 12 weeks, and several text messages, the last being 16 th April, telling me I would be able to register on Government Vulnerable site in one week. So 3 weeks ago.
I have no idea how registering will benefit me. I haven’t been able to get any supermarket to put me on their priority list so far. Not that I am concerned as I have been getting delivery from local restaurant / butcher / deli, that had the foresight to diversify in order to be able to stay in business. They have been excellent in the service they provide.

As an aside, I looked at my online medical record, and noticed on 24th April, an admin assistant at the GP surgery had placed a note on my record stating I was ‘seriously frail’. I am still trying to get to the reason for that decision, as although I do have several medical conditions, I am healthier than I have been for at least 25 years, Independent, all conditions under control, and passing the memory tests with no errors. I need to know what the implications will be for this categorisation. Also, would have thought this decision ought to have been after discussion with me, and a clinically trained practitioner.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The text I got today tells me to shield till the 30th of June OMG!

Received three more boxes this morning I'm drowning in apples, oranges rice and pasta.

And enough tomato soup to float the Royal Yacht in.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The text I got today tells me to shield till the 30th of June OMG!

Received three more boxes this morning I'm drowning in apples, oranges rice and pasta.

And enough tomato soup to float the Royal Yacht in.
Got the text.
Haven’t had the grub boxes. Maybe you got my share.
:hilarious:

Text content received today:
“NHS Coronavirus Service:
You have been identified as someone who may be at high risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. You should get a letter from the NHS to confirm this. The government are advising you shield at home until 30 June unless told otherwise by a healthcare professional.

Support is available if you need help getting food and basic care. Please complete this short form to tell us whether you need it: www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremelhe website, call us on 0800 028 8327.

The NHS is still here for you. You will get the care you need, but it is more likely to be via the phone or online.

We will send you more messages with information.

This is an automated message. Please do not reply, other than to stop receiving texts from us”

I haven’t bothered completing the ‘short form’.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As an aside, I looked at my online medical record, and noticed on 24th April, an admin assistant at the GP surgery had placed a note on my record stating I was ‘seriously frail’. I am still trying to get to the reason for that decision, as although I do have several medical conditions, I am healthier than I have been for at least 25 years, Independent, all conditions under control, and passing the memory tests with no errors. I need to know what the implications will be for this categorisation. Also, would have thought this decision ought to have been after discussion with me, and a clinically trained practitioner.

Sounds like you have been given a high score on the Frailty Index. Have you looked at the page of Current Problems on your on-line records? These will be coded diagnoses, and somehow, with some trawling bot, these codes will be picked up and converted to a frailty index number. If you look on Google it should tell you more. If you disagree with any of these codings, you could contact your GP and ask for them to be removed. I did that several years ago now, successfully I may add.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp just to add, if you have been given a frailty index score it should be in test results somewhere.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you have been given a high score on the Frailty Index. Have you looked at the page of Current Problems on your on-line records? These will be coded diagnoses, and somehow, with some trawling bot, these codes will be picked up and converted to a frailty index number. If you look on Google it should tell you more. If you disagree with any of these codings, you could contact your GP and ask for them to be removed. I did that several years ago now, successfully I may add.

Thanks @Bluetit1802
I have been reading up on it. This gives a concise overview:

https://improvementacademy.org/docu... Guidance SystmOne Notes for HAC Partners.pdf

What I am spitting feathers about is that nobody from surgerydiscussed this with me, prior to an admin assistant ( not someone clinically trained) placing the classification of ‘serious frailty’ on my record, under the Consultations, heading.

Admittedly, I have a few comorbidities, arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, have for several years. Plus an immune disorder, and hearing impairment, more recent. I am wondering if a recent milestone birthday, in addition to losing weight, has tipped me over their limit. The weight loss is something the GP nurses have been nagging me to do for ages. Oh the irony!

Trying to get some sense from the surgery staff, they do have challenges at moment, but I don’t think they are inundated with patients, as I can see the surgery from my front room, and the road has none of the usual parked cars of patients queueing to get in. Not answered my emails sent a few days ago, and with bank holiday can’t see them doing so any time soon. I would walk across there, but they told me to stay home!

@Brunneria , sorry if this is derailing.
I did think about a separate thread, but it does appear to be relevant to the topic, as it could be a reason I have the shielding letter and texts. Understand if you want to move it. Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries @Pipp

actually I am wondering if the reason you keep getting the repeat Text suggesting you register, is because you haven’t yet registered.

they probably periodically check their list of regestered ppl against their list of ppl who are pre-approved for the registration to be accepted, and you are on one list not the other, and if they don’t match, a reminder text is auto-sent.

just speculation, but seems likely.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No worries @Pipp

actually I am wondering if the reason you keep getting the repeat Text suggesting you register, is because you haven’t yet registered.

they probably periodically check their list of regestered ppl against their list of ppl who are pre-approved for the registration to be accepted, and you are on one list not the other, and if they don’t match, a reminder text is auto-sent.

just speculation, but seems likely.
Sorry, should have explained better.
Was invited by text to register on Tuesday, 2 days ago. This was after being told in a text 3 weeks ago, that I would be able to register in one week’s time.
I registered, as invited, 2 days ago. Then received a further text this morning which I copied in my post
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...shielding-03-04-20.173415/page-4#post-2259171

this recent text today is asking me to complete a short form . I haven’t done that yet. Not sure I want to, as seem to be getting deeper into their false perception that I am ‘frail’, and not able to care for myself. Anyone who knows me finds that quite laughable.

Reactions: Brunneria