Anyone still working or been called back to work recently?

Khova91

i've been furloughed since the 1st of April but got a call to go back to work next Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, is that advisable? Or should I still be self isolating? I didn't actually get a letter saying I should be isolating for 12 weeks...maybe due to my age (28) and the fact I'm still sort of newly diagnosed? (Got diagnosed less than 2 years ago). Last time I got my BP checked I got told it was good, and my usually ranges between 6-8 mmol, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or info that could help, thanks in advance.

Scarob 60

Im type 2 .ive been off 6 weeks 2 annual leave and 4 weeks the doc put me off with stress.
I have to go back to my care home saturday as no holiday left and my employer is not happy about paying me ive had a few phone calls asking if im definately coming back.
Not sure how i feel about especially with the news today

kentgirl

I'm due back at work on June 2nd but very nervous, especially given the news tonight and l also don't know how social distancing will be implemented or sustained.

Slaine2k

Hi ya Khova91
In newspapers there’s headlines like
MORE than a quarter of Covid deaths in England involve people with diabetes, NHS data reveals.

It shows those with the condition account for 26 per cent of all hospital fatalities from coronavirus

This one is from the sun I’m in same situation to I’m due to go back soon too my place has already opened and even worse I would go in by public transport the bus for 2 hours
Hope that clears up the news parts

Reactions: Jackie100

Khova91

Hi ya Khova91
MORE than a quarter of Covid deaths in England involve people with diabetes, NHS data reveals.

It shows those with the condition account for 26 per cent of all hospital fatalities from coronavirus

This one is from the sun I’m in same situation to I’m due to go back soon too my place has already opened and even worse I would go in by public transport the bus for 2 hours

Oh man...I'd like to get a cross reference of ages though as well, out all those who unfortunately died how many was of a certain age.

Luckily for me my work place is only 5 miles away and I have a bike so I can avoid public transport.

Slaine2k

Hi again yeah it’s an awkward situation I was diagnosed diabetes end of March waiting on test results till yesterday and my doc said t2 but also said I was medium risk but now with this headlines coming out you got to think even more on your own situations as I said I have to travel and I work in a busy fast food place that just reopened so I know they say keep a 2 metre distance but I think it will be hard I hope your place will be better

Craigh82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm 38 and im insulin dependent... I havent isolated as I havent been told to plus I want to do my bit for the more vulnerable old age pensioners I look after. And covid-19 affects people with diabetes more if they dont have good control over their glucose levels. So if your constantly in range then you shouldn't have any issues going back to work. I suffer with depression but soldier on. I work in a care home and we do what we can to keep it out of where I work.

Khova91

Hi, I'm 38 and im insulin dependent... I havent isolated as I havent been told to plus I want to do my bit for the more vulnerable old age pensioners I look after. And covid-19 affects people with diabetes more if they dont have good control over their glucose levels. So if your constantly in range then you shouldn't have any issues going back to work. I suffer with depression but soldier on. I work in a care home and we do what we can to keep it out of where I work.

My mmol is usually in the 6-8 mmol range and since its a new diagnosis I don't suffer any complications (yet) so I am hopeful. I will be riding my bike to work which is of course good exercise.

Sorry to hear about your depression, I also suffer from mild depression and anxiety, it got really bad at the start of the lockdown but I have calmed down abit now.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Im type 2 .ive been off 6 weeks 2 annual leave and 4 weeks the doc put me off with stress.
I have to go back to my care home saturday as no holiday left and my employer is not happy about paying me ive had a few phone calls asking if im definately coming back.
Not sure how i feel about especially with the news today
I don't suppose you have an HR dept in a care setting but your GP will not be impressed if your employer is ringing you when you are signed off sick. Its a definite no no. May feel inclined to sign you off for longer.

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been working all the time. Even onsite our office location due to security restrictions on access to clients serverfarm. I haven't been ill at any point. My HbA1c is 28 and I eat almost 1 kg of veggies every day. Guess that helps.

The guidlines in Denmark are, if you're a type 2 diabetic, and your HbA1c is below 70, you're not in covid-19 risk group.

Max68

I'm in the UK. My GP has again advised me to work from home, which will overjoy my employer no end! She is sending a Fit Note until the end of July although my Union has advised to be careful how I use it as this apparently can cause confusion with employers as they may decide to take it as you can't work rather than work from home. I'd advise anyone concerned to contact their Union if they have one. I'm in a bit of a battle and apparently my Union stated to the Employer yesterday that "I shouldn't be suffering a financial detriment for being on the Clinically Vulnerable list and following Government guidelines". Apparently HR seemed to accept that, although claimed they didn't know I had a health condition which is rubbish because you complete a medical questionnaire prior to starting! If employers are following Gov guidelines then employees should too, so I would consult your Union if concerned.

Reactions: DJTT1 and ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ya Khova91

it is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

D4C3BF55-09F4-4D03-882D-D03E1FFAD0BD.jpeg

edited to add:

the info I gave above is misleading.
For a better explanation of the stats please see this thread which explains the different risk factors to diabetics depending on glycaemic control as one factor
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/

Last edited:

Slaine2k

it is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

View attachment 41347
Hi again yeah That was a straight quote from the article but I think they need to get more info before I formed my own option and it’s getting worse as now you’ve even got boris coming out and saying he had it bad because he’s clinically obese lol he wants peeps to go “to war on fat”

Reactions: Scarob 60

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't suppose you have an HR dept in a care setting but your GP will not be impressed if your employer is ringing you when you are signed off sick. Its a definite no no. May feel inclined to sign you off for longer.

Hi, it must be different for different occupations then. In my job if you are sick you get welfare calls at least once a week during which they ask when you think you'll be back at work, I don't see a problem with that but of course IF you are being pressurised into going back then that's a different matter. Definitely not a 'definite no, no'. x

Reactions: Scarob 60

Scarob 60

I didnt think they were sposed to ring when on the sick i must say i was annoyed and told them .i felt the owner was calling the dr a liar .
Anyhow my manager ( shes been brill and supportive)assures me ppe is inplace and i have to go back at some point.
Ive been very pro active while ive been off making sure my bs are down low .
Well pro active for me excercise plenty of drinking hrly as i dont drink near enough .salads oily fish.so

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: ickihun

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and it’s getting worse as now you’ve even got boris coming out and saying he had it bad because he’s clinically obese lol he wants peeps to go “to war on fat”

err clinically speaking the statistics do show that obese people have more severe outcomes that appropriate sized people. Various reasons why from the mechanical pressure on the lungs to immune response to the likelihood in many cases it is part of metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and a host of other linked conditions including diabetes type 2.

Now apart from the gung ho headlines what is the problem with addressing the epidemic of metabolic ill health this country is suffering. Many in here have been clamouring for a new focus on these issues And specifically the food guidelines that currently contribute to the problem instead of easing it. Why is this worse?

Reactions: Slaine2k

Slaine2k

err clinically speaking the statistics do show that obese people have more severe outcomes that appropriate sized people. Various reasons why from the mechanical pressure on the lungs to immune response to the likelihood in many cases it is part of metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and a host of other linked conditions including diabetes type 2.

Now apart from the gung ho headlines what is the problem with addressing the epidemic of metabolic ill health this country is suffering. Many in here have been clamouring for a new focus on these issues And specifically the food guidelines that currently contribute to the problem instead of easing it. Why is this worse?

to tell u the truth i dont really like reading the news cause everywhere you look its always tabloid opinions or something depressing about the country