COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting these Indy51. I watched the previous one earlier. Hadn't seen the most recent one yet. Favorite quote from the previous video...

There's never been a disease in the history of mankind that's presented in so many different ways.

-- Doctor Mike Hansen​

I think that's why it scares me so much.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, interest continues in N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC)...

Can't remember, was there a reason why you shouldn't take it?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, interest continues in N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC)...

Can't remember, was there a reason why you shouldn't take it?
Pretty good reason from my perspective - it makes me violently throw up :D

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Very little has been said about the particular risks of Coronavirus to PWD.
We often read that the risk of death with Coronavirus is "only" 2%, with critical illness about 10%
But then we read that most of those suffering serious effects have pre-existing conditions.
80% have a pre-existing condition.

In effect, if you have a pre-existing condition then the risk of death is increased to around 10%; risk of critical illness increased to around 40% if you "catch" Coronavirus. The medical term for these increases in morbidity (death rates) is comorbidity.

Medical papers have been written on the prime condition which creates concern and we can read them by searching for Coronavirus Comorbid. Trouble is that COVID 2019 is too new for particular research papers to have been written - however we get a fairly accurate picture by looking at two "older", more researched Coronaviruses, SARS and MERS. These are very similar to COVID, indeed many medical professionals objected to the name COVID, saying that it should be called SARS2 as they are so similar.

We can find out just what those pre-existing conditions are - and which is the prime concern.

It is Diabetes - both T1 & T2

http://grantome.com/grant/NIH/F32-A..._fnGoJI-mnOb_gcQ0k6JbZtaPojB2JYc5NUCo-w67PZH4
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6824443/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6357155/
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/factsheet-health-professionals-coronaviruses
https://asprtracie.hhs.gov/technical-resources/44/coronavirus-sars-mers-2019-ncov/27
This morning announced on radio 4 that v significant % deaths have had diabetes. Not specified whether type 1 or 2 or whether linked with medication types, body type (obese or overweight) levels of fitness. Interested to know more any links please??

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning announced on radio 4 that v significant % deaths have had diabetes. Not specified whether type 1 or 2 or whether linked with medication types, body type (obese or overweight) levels of fitness. Interested to know more any links please??
Those links you quoted are all from my post of 13 weeks ago with most being papers concerning COVID outbreaks up to 18 yrs ago.
There have probably been 1000s of papers since, we have discussed hundreds on this thread. All have further useful links as references.
It is interesting to see how much data was very applicable to the current outbreak. Much of the current media reports could have been taken from those early papers, including those alarming percentages ;(
Where they are quite consistent is that the early reports of COVID19 from hospital cases in China had quite similar percentages of PWD to current U.K. and USA reports.
But death rates are lower.
We are getting better at treatment.
Some of the early experimental treatments are now showing better success.
The Chinese doctors were actually quite good at this !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

it is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

C4C30153-F7AC-49E1-8F9F-5F3A42BB1E33.jpeg

edited to add:
my post above is misleading.
Please see @Lupf ‘s post below for a better interpretation of this table

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bulkbiker, my husband and I discuss this daily. Now that hospitals know how to manage severe cases, while I can't speak to other countries, perhaps it's time to open the US back up. I do worry though about the upcoming flu season.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

View attachment 41346
@Brunneria, I agree with you that the fact that 25% of Covid-19 deaths had diabetes is not surprising.
However, you read the table - which I was actually looking for (thanks) - incorrectly. It is not that ~25% of 60 to 69 and 70 to 79 year olds have diabetes, but that 25% of all diabetics are between 60 and 69 and another 25% from 70 to 79.

The total number of diabetics in the UK is about 4 million 6%, so about 1 million are between 60 and 69. I quickly checked the population pyramid and about 11% of the population (~7 million) are between 60 and 69, so about one in 7 or 14% have diabetes in that age group. I discussed this in more detail in my thread, see
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/

Reactions: Struma

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria, I agree with you that the fact that 25% of Covid-19 deaths had diabetes is not surprising.
However, you read the table - which I was actually looking for (thanks) - incorrectly. It is not that ~25% of 60 to 69 and 70 to 79 year olds have diabetes, but that 25% of all diabetics are between 60 and 69 and another 25% from 70 to 79.

The total number of diabetics in the UK is about 4 million 6%, so about 1 million are between 60 and 69. I quickly checked the population pyramid and about 11% of the population (~7 million) are between 60 and 69, so about one in 7 or 14% have diabetes in that age group. I discussed this in more detail in my thread, see
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/

thank you for that!
Will go back and add a comment at the bottom of my post to signal the error.

Reactions: Lupf

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a talk on Covid and diabetes streaming right now on the virtual PHC conference. It will also be available later.

Editing to say it includes a meta analysis of evidence about the relationship between diabetes and Covid outcomes.

Last edited:

Jamie H

There is a talk on Covid and diabetes streaming right now on the virtual PHC conference. It will also be available later.

Editing to say it includes a meta analysis of evidence about the relationship between diabetes and Covid outcomes.
Just watched it.. Hasn't really answered any of the questions around contributing factors along with diabetes.. And therefore the risk if diabetes is the only comorbidity. Tried to a bit on one slide but it was actually tied up with hypertension and was all a bit contradictory and confusing . Will await partha kar's analysis with interest

Jamie H

Attached is a screenshot from the study in thr video.

I am no expert but of if someone with diabetes is older and has hypertension then of course the direct influence of diabetes ALONE will be less than a younger person that just has diabetes... That person has no other comorbidities...

Seems a rather obvious and pointless conclusion.... As I said though I'm no expert so I could be picking this up all wrong...

Screenshot_20200516_163856_com.android.chrome.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamie H

This one isn’t all about covid but there’s a very interesting section early on which I think is much clearer about the interplay between diabetes - and specifically type 2 and insulin resistance- other co-morbidities and covid.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought.

Up to 30% of those seriously ill have died from, or suffered blood clots.

High blood sugar levels make our blood more sticky.

Could that make some diabetics more susceptible to the blood clots, and therefore at greater risk?
BBC News - Coronavirus: A third of hospital patients develop dangerous blood clots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52662065

Jamie H

@Jamie H

This one isn’t all about covid but there’s a very interesting section early on which I think is much clearer about the interplay between diabetes - and specifically type 2 and insulin resistance- other co-morbidities and covid.

Thanks for this good viewing but again doesn't tell us anything we didn't know. Are type 2 diabetics more at risk because they are diabetic or because of the associated comorbidities.. We simply still don't know. Hopefully partha kar's breakdown gives us a better insight