1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Bill_St, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Posting this in the interests of information, but warning it is very blunt, maybe even confronting, for those who have health anxiety or prefer information a little less graphic. Watch at your own risk!

12 Autopsy Cases Reveal TRUTH About How Patients Die From Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Editing to add the previous video the doc posted on the same subject a week ago:

What Doctors Are Learning From Autopsy Findings of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Patients

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting these Indy51. I watched the previous one earlier. Hadn't seen the most recent one yet. Favorite quote from the previous video...

There's never been a disease in the history of mankind that's presented in so many different ways.

-- Doctor Mike Hansen​

I think that's why it scares me so much.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Winnie53

Indy51, interest continues in N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC)...

Can't remember, was there a reason why you shouldn't take it?

4. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Pretty good reason from my perspective - it makes me violently throw up :D

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. marzak

marzak Type 2 · Active Member

This morning announced on radio 4 that v significant % deaths have had diabetes. Not specified whether type 1 or 2 or whether linked with medication types, body type (obese or overweight) levels of fitness. Interested to know more any links please??

6. toffski

toffski Type 1 · Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bill_St

Bill_St Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Those links you quoted are all from my post of 13 weeks ago with most being papers concerning COVID outbreaks up to 18 yrs ago.
    There have probably been 1000s of papers since, we have discussed hundreds on this thread. All have further useful links as references.
    It is interesting to see how much data was very applicable to the current outbreak. Much of the current media reports could have been taken from those early papers, including those alarming percentages ;(
    Where they are quite consistent is that the early reports of COVID19 from hospital cases in China had quite similar percentages of PWD to current U.K. and USA reports.
    But death rates are lower.
    We are getting better at treatment.
    Some of the early experimental treatments are now showing better success.
    The Chinese doctors were actually quite good at this !

8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

it is in no way surprising that approx 25% of C-19 deaths are people with diabetes.
    The majority of C-19 deaths are over 60yrs, and the % of the population with diabetes is around 25% at that age and above.

I would actually go so far as to say that this piece of information counts as ‘fake news’ and is only being spread by journalists who are too ignorant of the subject to make any sensible contribution to the debate.

https://diabetes-resources-producti...igration/pdf/DiabetesUK_Facts_Stats_Oct16.pdf

C4C30153-F7AC-49E1-8F9F-5F3A42BB1E33.jpeg

edited to add:
    my post above is misleading.
    Please see @Lupf ‘s post below for a better interpretation of this table

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #1808 Brunneria, May 15, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Further update, the Abbott antibody test available from Medichecks has now been approved by PHE as well as the FDA:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/930508

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I think everyone should watch this carefully.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Winnie53

Bulkbiker, my husband and I discuss this daily. Now that hospitals know how to manage severe cases, while I can't speak to other countries, perhaps it's time to open the US back up. I do worry though about the upcoming flu season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lupf

Lupf Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Brunneria, I agree with you that the fact that 25% of Covid-19 deaths had diabetes is not surprising.
    However, you read the table - which I was actually looking for (thanks) - incorrectly. It is not that ~25% of 60 to 69 and 70 to 79 year olds have diabetes, but that 25% of all diabetics are between 60 and 69 and another 25% from 70 to 79.

The total number of diabetics in the UK is about 4 million 6%, so about 1 million are between 60 and 69. I quickly checked the population pyramid and about 11% of the population (~7 million) are between 60 and 69, so about one in 7 or 14% have diabetes in that age group. I discussed this in more detail in my thread, see
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Goonergal

Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 5
  14. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

thank you for that!
    Will go back and add a comment at the bottom of my post to signal the error.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Goonergal

Staff Member

There is a talk on Covid and diabetes streaming right now on the virtual PHC conference. It will also be available later.

Editing to say it includes a meta analysis of evidence about the relationship between diabetes and Covid outcomes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #1815 Goonergal, May 16, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  16. Jamie H

Jamie H · Well-Known Member

Just watched it.. Hasn't really answered any of the questions around contributing factors along with diabetes.. And therefore the risk if diabetes is the only comorbidity. Tried to a bit on one slide but it was actually tied up with hypertension and was all a bit contradictory and confusing . Will await partha kar's analysis with interest

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jamie H

Jamie H · Well-Known Member

Attached is a screenshot from the study in thr video.

I am no expert but of if someone with diabetes is older and has hypertension then of course the direct influence of diabetes ALONE will be less than a younger person that just has diabetes... That person has no other comorbidities...

Seems a rather obvious and pointless conclusion.... As I said though I'm no expert so I could be picking this up all wrong...

Screenshot_20200516_163856_com.android.chrome.jpg

18. Goonergal

Staff Member

@Jamie H

This one isn’t all about covid but there’s a very interesting section early on which I think is much clearer about the interplay between diabetes - and specifically type 2 and insulin resistance- other co-morbidities and covid.

19. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just a thought.

Up to 30% of those seriously ill have died from, or suffered blood clots.

High blood sugar levels make our blood more sticky.

Could that make some diabetics more susceptible to the blood clots, and therefore at greater risk?
    BBC News - Coronavirus: A third of hospital patients develop dangerous blood clots
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52662065

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I take a anti coagulant (blood thinner) called Xaralto, so should have that theory covered.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook