Skin cancer

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
My soon to be 82 yo father has a suspicious fast growing thing that was first written off as a ringworm but is now being biopsied with suspicions of it being a skin cancer.

Just wondering if any learned folks here have read of any dietary changes or supplements that might help if it turns out to be cancer.

All I have read is that sugars of all kinds make cancers grow so I mentioned avoiding all carbs and to focus on eating meat and veges, and maybe take high dose vitamin C.

Not sure of what else.

Ideas?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your father.
Hope that it gets resolved with the best possible outcome.waiting for test results is horrible.

You will probably come across quite a lot of information about Vit D being ‘protective’ against cancer, but if you do, I would maintain a healthy scepticism.
This link is to aN Australian study on the subject, which shows things are more complex than you might expect.
https://www.wcrf.org/int/research-w...nd-skin-cancer-risk-11-year-prospective-study

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My soon to be 82 yo father has a suspicious fast growing thing that was first written off as a ringworm but is now being biopsied with suspicions of it being a skin cancer.

Just wondering if any learned folks here have read of any dietary changes or supplements that might help if it turns out to be cancer.

All I have read is that sugars of all kinds make cancers grow so I mentioned avoiding all carbs and to focus on eating meat and veges, and maybe take high dose vitamin C.

Not sure of what else.

Ideas?

I work in R+D for a company that manufactures radiotherapy equipment and although I am an engineer by profession I see quite a few research papers.

There is growing evidence the keto diets greatly improve the outcome of chemotherapy and radiotherapy procedures. As you have identified, cancer cells need glucose to replicate and so keto diets starve the tumours of their energy source (apparently).

I am NOT sure what stage this research is at and whether 'cause and effect' has been scientifically demonstrated but keto on it's own is unlikely to stop any cancer.

Hope the biopsy gives you the right answer.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
So some good news here - the biopsy revealed that it was not cancer and now they think it's psoriasis. It has spread all over his neck and scalp - no longer just a thing the size of a coin.

The question I have now is whether any one has experience of a low carb / keto diet helping not only diabetes but also psoriasis?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So some good news here - the biopsy revealed that it was not cancer and now they think it's psoriasis. It has spread all over his neck and scalp - no longer just a thing the size of a coin.

The question I have now is whether any one has experience of a low carb / keto diet helping not only diabetes but also psoriasis?

Yes great news, or at least a minor relief. Can't help with the psoriasis angle - sorry.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not sure of what else.

Ideas?
Sorry about all the stress you guys have been through. A cancer scare, and then psoriasis? Far as I know psoriasis is an inflammatory condition, so... Going low carb should theoretically help. I have no evidence on offer though, sorry. Hope he'll feel better soon!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you love the power of anecdotes
https://meatrx.com/?s=psoriasis

Reactions: Cocosilk

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What treatment are the doctors recommending ?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
What treatment are the doctors recommending ?

Not sure exactly but my father sent me the 5 pages they must have copied for him about the typical causes and treatments.
I imagine they will have given him a cream of some sort, possibly steroid, and told him to stop drinking so much alcohol (he admitted to drinking to put himself to sleep at night because of pain in his shoulder.)

lindisfel

Expert
Psoriasis it is an autoimmune disease that can affect joints as well, my sister had it and I have it slightly. Patches tend to irrupt and then subside. The treatment when I worked at the hospital was phototherapy but I guess we have new drugs now.
Stress can cause it to irrupt as it did with my sister as a teenager. But she had too much trauma and it was not surprising.

Interestingly uva and uvb were used to treat bad cases and in some people it covered their bodies. I calibrated and repaired the machines in my retirement job.
D.

Sorry about all the stress you guys have been through. A cancer scare, and then psoriasis? Far as I know psoriasis is an inflammatory condition, so... Going low carb should theoretically help. I have no evidence on offer though, sorry. Hope he'll feel better soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cocosilk