Is green tea helps with diabetes?

KansasCute

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a tolerance to diabetes, I eat glucophage, I follow a diet (as I can).
I once read that green tea helps in the treatment of diabetes. It's true?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see how.
Low carb is the way to go - what you drink, as long as there is no sugar or starch can't make much difference.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Koicha tea is wonderful. Thicker the better and perfect for diabetics. Love the stuff.

Last edited:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know whether it will actively help but if you drink it without milk or sugar it probably won't hurt. I think that for the vast majority of type 2 cutting carbs is the thing that will help. I suspect that if there were any other 'magic bullet' we would have found it by now. I'm a carbolic and would love to believe there is another way to deal with diabetes but it is an intolerance or allergy type issue with carbs in my view.

Good luck.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suppose green tea can help, but more in terms of general well-being- if we're comparing it to diet or medication, then I think the effects will be fairly negligible, or similar to the effects of drinking plenty of water. Still, it is a good addition to a healthy diet: we need to drink a lot, and green tea is one of the best drinks: it's mildly anti-inflammatory, and it's clean and refreshing, so it can help keep your kidneys flushed out. It has anti-oxidants, which supposedly helps with cholesterol. Also, like black coffee, they say it is good for your liver. It's good for fasting too, although again, black tea or coffee basically work the same.