1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is green tea helps with diabetes?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by KansasCute, May 16, 2020.

1. KansasCute

KansasCute Type 2 · Member

I have a tolerance to diabetes, I eat glucophage, I follow a diet (as I can).
    I once read that green tea helps in the treatment of diabetes. It's true?

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I can't see how.
    Low carb is the way to go - what you drink, as long as there is no sugar or starch can't make much difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

True or not I dunno, but it is a nice drink if you drink as it is supposed to be, with no milk, cream, fat, sugars in it.

4. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Koicha tea is wonderful. Thicker the better and perfect for diabetics. Love the stuff.

#4 Mike d, May 17, 2020 at 1:05 AM
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it will actively help but if you drink it without milk or sugar it probably won't hurt. I think that for the vast majority of type 2 cutting carbs is the thing that will help. I suspect that if there were any other 'magic bullet' we would have found it by now. I'm a carbolic and would love to believe there is another way to deal with diabetes but it is an intolerance or allergy type issue with carbs in my view.

Good luck.

6. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suppose green tea can help, but more in terms of general well-being- if we're comparing it to diet or medication, then I think the effects will be fairly negligible, or similar to the effects of drinking plenty of water. Still, it is a good addition to a healthy diet: we need to drink a lot, and green tea is one of the best drinks: it's mildly anti-inflammatory, and it's clean and refreshing, so it can help keep your kidneys flushed out. It has anti-oxidants, which supposedly helps with cholesterol. Also, like black coffee, they say it is good for your liver. It's good for fasting too, although again, black tea or coffee basically work the same.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook