Pump set change day

potlicker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Guys ,

Hope you are all well, I havnt been on here for few years but wanted to ask question.

I have the Medtronic 640 G problem is on set change day I seem to have massive highs by lunch time .

This morning BG 8.4 had small amount of strawberrys 5 carbs didn't bolus but now 11.30 am BG 16.7 I have noticed more days than not this is happening .

Any idea or suggestions ???? thanks very much.

M

Last edited:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Change your set half a day earlier, this is what I would do. Or if its less than 2 days change cannula type or insert length. :)

Reactions: Bobr17

potlicker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chas C

It is happening on set change day in morning when I do change few hours later my bloods are high. Medtronic only do one length of tubing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @potlicker my only observation with running high after a set change is that your not priming the set enough to ensure all bubbles are released - I am a 640g user with sure t sets, I really check thoroughly for bubbles and prime my set well to make sure none are in the set, touch wood I never go high after a change.

The only other issue I get is a bad site but generally get pain if that’s the case so do a full set change if that happens.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also to add the cannula length shouldn’t make any difference at all if you’re priming the set enough, so make sure that clear insulin flows through not cloudy which indicates bubbles, Medtronic do about 3 different length, I use the shortest length at about 29cms.

potlicker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also to add the cannula length shouldn’t make any difference at all if you’re priming the set enough, so make sure that clear insulin flows through not cloudy which indicates bubbles, Medtronic do about 3 different length, I use the shortest length at about 29cms.

Hi Yes clear insulin coming threw when I prime , have to ask I am only able to get one lenth of tubing didn't realise they did 3 mine is 23 inch ??

potlicker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I would like longer length canulla due to scar tissue and lumps on my legs but definatly priming enough insulin as I can see it dripping. :)

M

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chas C

It is happening on set change day in morning when I do change few hours later my bloods are high. Medtronic only do one length of tubing.

From what you have said above it looks like the site is getting tired and you need to change your set hours maybe half a day earlier.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I use the minimed mio advance so only comes in one tubing length.

I haven’t tried this set I was using the mio but had a reaction to the Teflon tubing and was getting red welts, what’s your site like after you have used it so how does the skin look ? I would call Medtronic tech and ask them the question, it may well be that the mio advance set isn’t right for you so bear that in mind, I tried 2 different sets before using the sure t set.

Bobr17

Hi, I had that issue for a few months and my Diabetes team instructed me to set change every 2 days for a while?
Hope that helps,. Bobr17.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys ,

Hope you are all well, I havnt been on here for few years but wanted to ask question.

I have the Medtronic 640 G problem is on set change day I seem to have massive highs by lunch time .

This morning BG 8.4 had small amount of strawberrys 5 carbs didn't bolus but now 11.30 am BG 16.7 I have noticed more days than not this is happening .

Any idea or suggestions ???? thanks very much.

M

Hi #potlicker , I have similar issues of going very high after a set change (in the evenings). I have just been reading some other posts on this problem, and one solution is to leave the old set in for several hours after the change. The suggestion was because insulin can "leak" from this site. Also, by keeping the old one attached for a short while, it is a back up in case you have any immediate problems with the new site. Several readers commented this has worked for them. I have only just read them, so will try this on my next set change. Let me know if you try this and if it works.

Reactions: Juicyj