Help please - Occupational Health and University

Flowertown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I am supposed to be starting my BSc in Adult Nursing this year, with COVID-19 going on I’ve now began wondering if during my occupational health screening they will class me as unfit to take the degree due to me needing to be on placement.

I already work as Health Care Assistant at my local hospital and was signed off from working amongst COVID patients but was then told I could work in the hospital at my own discretion.

Since this began, I’ve never felt any different for having diabetes however I experienced my first “discrimination” at college when a classmate informed my whole tutor group that I was the only one at risk because of diabetes -although true it didn’t need to be broadcast like that to everyone.

Anyway, I’m really at a loss here. Everywhere I look I’m told that if I come into Covid-19 I’m going to die, that’s all that’s gone through my head since this began. I hate it, I feel genetically inferior to everyone and I so don’t want this disease to disrupt my chance at a future.

Does anyone have any advice, know anything related to the above or had a similar experience?

My HbA1c is 6.3, I have a libre and an insulin pump too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Since this began, I’ve never felt any different for having diabetes however I experienced my first “discrimination” at college when a classmate informed my whole tutor group that I was the only one at risk because of diabetes -although true it didn’t need to be broadcast like that to everyone.

Hmm, got any older people in your group (say 31 instead of 21)? Maybe you should point them out to your group as being at higher risk because of age.

https://www.covidodds.com/

T1 diabetes roughly doubles or trebles your risk (maybe? though the studies haven't had any mortality in T1s under 50), though if your hba1c is reasonable it will be much less than that, so a 31 year old non-diabetic is probably at the same risk as you (maybe higher).

Obviously I don't know if you've got any other illnesses (cystic fibrosis would be pretty grim, but then that is grim anyway), but I don't think a 21 year old has anything to worry about, T1 or not.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I’m a paramedic student, but older than you at 45. Diabetes hasn’t been an issue with occupational health so far for me. The initial clearance to get on the course was fine, and now they’ve put us on study leave. Apparently I have to have another occupational health assessment before I can go back out on the road with an emergency crew - even though I’ve just had clearance to drive ambulances and transport conformed Covid-19 patients, as I’m working on the non-emergency side. Things are changing on a daily basis! I am worried they’ll stop me from going back out responding to 999 calls (even though I do as a volunteer community first responder) because that means I won’t get my clinical competencies signed off, and that’s the end of the course for me.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really hope they don't stop you going to 999 calls @LooperCat after all the hard work you've put in both in terms of diabetes, and on the course,. It would seem so unfair if you couldn't finish the course when you're able to do non-emergency and community first responder. Sending hugs and let's hope occupational health make the right decision.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I really hope they don't stop you going to 999 calls @LooperCat after all the hard work you've put in both in terms of diabetes, and on the course,. It would seem so unfair if you couldn't finish the course when you're able to do non-emergency and community first responder. Sending hugs and let's hope occupational health make the right decision.
Legally they can’t stop me, handily my husband is the equalities rep for his union, so knows the law inside out. Any “concession” or alteration from what everyone else is doing has to be requested by the person with the disability, they can’t impose things on you “for your own good”.

Reactions: Flowertown