Carbohydrates of which sugars

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Think I've asked this before , but what one should we be looking at, the total carbs or the of which sugars one

Was in Holland and barrett and they were trying to tell me that the of which sugars is the one to read

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Very old style thinking, that diabetes should just avoid sugar.
The figures for 'total' carbs on UK labels are actually 'net carbs', ie this is usually the part our bodies absorb and turn into simple sugars.
(In the USA their total carbs include fibre, which you need to deduct.)
The only time you can ignore part of the carbs here is where some of the sweetness comes from polyols, our bodies don't absorb this - polyols are used as sweeteners in some diet products.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Total carbs is the important one for counting, but the 'of which sugars' indicates how quickly you'll get those carbs with 'sugars' being the 'simple' carbohydrate.

For example a Dextro energy tab has 91g carbs per 100g, of which 82g are sugars, handy for a hypo treatment, and brown basmati rice for example (morrisons) has 20g per 100g boiled but 0.2 sugars which can be handy to digest over a couple of hours with your insulin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was in Holland and barrett and they were trying to tell me that the of which sugars is the one to read
Do they have endocrinologists working at Holland and Barrett now?
If they told you to only count the 'of which sugars' part they were basically advising you to alter your insulin dosages. There is a reason one of our forum rules is to not advise anyone on their doses: it can be dangerous to do so.

If we only counted the sugars we wouldn't have to inject for things like pizza and pasta. Someone following their advice could end up in hospital pretty quick...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I've asked this before , but what one should we be looking at, the total carbs or the of which sugars one

Ah, how silly of them. ;) Total, always total, whatever type you are.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

PS: When I was in a H&B when I was first diagnosed and asked for advice on a product, I added I was diabetic and the lady there immediately told me she could under no circumstances advise me on ANYTHING because I had a metabolic condition. Company policy. They tend to not to want to kill anyone.

Reactions: HSSS

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys, was thinking as much
Yes Carbs. I think the general public are now more aware of sugar whereas for insulin dosing type ones and low carbers in general, the difference between glucose (carbs) and sugars (glucose/fructose) is less important.
I guess this visit to H & B was a while back given that going to a non food shop seems so quaint now!

Roberta B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
always look at just carbs. Not the other one. It can be confusing but after a while you won't even need to look at the back of packs because you ll just know. Good luck and keep at it :)