Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm feeling very pleased with myself. I have just repaired my utility knife, which has seen a lot of use recently opening boxes. The blade had gotten stuck in the barely open position, so I found my screwdriver and opened up the casing and got the blade unstuck! And got my fingers all nice and oily-greasy in the process. Fun! And a pleasing sense of achievement.

Never travel without them ... think I have six in the house and garage and the subaru.

Reactions: Ryhia

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just looked them up and it sounds very good! Too bad none of them are kind of close to me, except Groningen, which is still an hour by car. I'll keep them in mind though!
We'll happily drive a few hours for them, they're a good way to experience a (to us) new town or rediscover an old one. Did Deventer, Amersfoort, Gouda, Rotterdam/Delfshaven, The Hague, Utrecht, Den Bosch, Arnhem, Leiden and a bunch of others with them. Guess it helps if you live smack dab in the middle of the Netherlands, everything's pretty much an hour, two at most away. If we can combine it with a cat café, even better. ;) Yesterday we went to Apenheul, which was very, very enjoyable and doable, with the measures taken (though some people still can't help themselves and just NEED to breathe down your neck for some reason, but there was enough room for me to be able to flee to non-people area's), so I just booked tickets for Ouwehands at the end of next month... A friend went there and sent me a bunch of pictures of how they're tackling things and that inspired enough confidence to get a ticket. And on Wednesday the Efteling'll open up new timeslots for season pass holders, which we are... So hopefully it won't be like last week with 31.000 people in the virtual queue. When you're locked up in your house as a matter of course, rather than just since the beginning of this year, having a long drive for the few times you do leave your house, doesn't seem so bad. ;) If I go out, it'd better be worth it, you know? ;)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 09.02.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 09.02.34.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 287

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I see the Efteling has now reopened to limited numbers and you have to book I think.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this your new home? If so, what a wonderful view! But what's the thing eating the cat :wideyed:?
Or is it a 3D cat printer almost finished printing one?

Lol it is the air conditioning/heating unit.

Although if she keeps getting up on it it could very likely start giving me FUR JAM alerts. :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just booked tickets for Ouwehands at the end of next month... A friend went there and sent me a bunch of pictures of how they're tackling things and that inspired enough confidence to get a ticket.
You'd love to visit Landgoed Hoenderdaell! It's a smallish zoo/animal park with lots of trees and stuff and always enough space between visitors. It's also home to Stichting Leeuw, which rehabilitates lions and tigers.
For me Groningen would be worth the hour's drive just to see the lovely horses.
Now the rules give us some more room we're allowed to do outdoor group sport things again, provided we keep social distance. Two police officers on horses decided to join in on a salsa lesson. This video will make you happy, if it works outside the Netherlands :)
https://nos.nl/video/2334858-politie-te-paard-doet-lesje-salsa-mee-in-park.html

I'm having to alter the fence around the goat pen. This is what I woke up to this morning :hilarious:
100045032_10220863129722371_8768816290501492736_o.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Liked the video seems horses like to dance who would of thought it though I suppose it should be obvious from watching dressage events. Just never thought Salsa would be their thing.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd love to visit Landgoed Hoenderdaell! It's a smallish zoo/animal park with lots of trees and stuff and always enough space between visitors. It's also home to Stichting Leeuw, which rehabilitates lions and tigers.

Now the rules give us some more room we're allowed to do outdoor group sport things again, provided we keep social distance. Two police officers on horses decided to join in on a salsa lesson. This video will make you happy, if it works outside the Netherlands :)

I'm having to alter the fence around the goat pen. This is what I woke up to this morning :hilarious:
We go once a year to Hoenderdaell, to visit with "our" adopted mountain lion, Vincent! So yeah, we would indeed love it, haha. Isn't he handsome? We did the tiger workshop once which was amazing (and through groupon, quite affordable). There's a lot of zoo's we visit because, you know, animals are a lot easier for me than people are... And they're wonderful photography subjects. ;) So far we've done Wildlands, Amersfoort, Beekse Bergen, Oude Oliemeulen, Blijdorp, BestZoo, Ouwehands, GaiaZoo, Landgoed Hoenderdaell, Dierenrijk, Zoopark Overloon, Burger's Zoo, Artis etc... Certainly always open to suggestions. We don't drive up north often, as my family's in the south and we are in that area more often as it is, so suggestions are always welcome. ;) City tours, anything with animals (especially cats...)... Sounds good to me.

And I have to say, if that's your view in the AM, it's a place I'd go absolutely nuts with a camera. (Not just because of the goats either. You have amazing floor tiling!).

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 16.00.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 16.00.21.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 264

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh my goodness!!! I am looking forward to seeing deer outside my patio door, but hopefully if any of them have antlers they will not knock!

I love the red chair. I will be shopping for a table and chairs at some point and I will keep in mind this design.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"our" adopted mountain lion, Vincent!
Amazing, you've adopted a mountain lion! He's very handsome! <googles 'tiger workshop'>.
You have amazing floor tiling!
Did a complete overhaul of the bathroom (complete enough to have a spade with a roll of tp at the ready for months, never knowing if the toilet would be in it's usual place or in the hallway or garden, and it's the only toilet in the house) a couple of years ago, and I found the floor tiles very cheap at a local bouwbedrijf because they were so 'used' :)
I love the red chair. I will be shopping for a table and chairs at some point and I will keep in mind this design.
This is so funny! It's one of those folding chairs that has just 'always been there' in my fathers house and I never spent a thought on it in my life, I think. I don't even know why it's in the middle of my bathroom. Now I think on it it must have been there for at least 3 weeks :hilarious:, I've never really taken to this whole grown-up household thing.
My father must have obtained it at least 45 years ago and it's unlikely it was new at the time. But now that you mention it, it's actually a pretty cool chair!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing, you've adopted a mountain lion! He's very handsome! <googles 'tiger workshop'>.

Did a complete overhaul of the bathroom (complete enough to have a spade with a roll of tp at the ready for months, never knowing if the toilet would be in it's usual place or in the hallway or garden, and it's the only toilet in the house) a couple of years ago, and I found the floor tiles very cheap at a local bouwbedrijf because they were so 'used' :)

This is so funny! It's one of those folding chairs that has just 'always been there' in my fathers house and I never spent a thought on it in my life, I think. I don't even know why it's in the middle of my bathroom. Now I think on it it must have been there for at least 3 weeks :hilarious:, I've never really taken to this whole grown-up household thing.

Me neither.
I do like the stripey seat.

Reactions: Ryhia and Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My father must have obtained it at least 45 years ago and it's unlikely it was new at the time. But now that you mention it, it's actually a pretty cool chair!
https://www.groupon.nl/deals/stichting-leeuw-tijgerworkshop-landgoed-hoenderdaell-anna-paulowna ;) I loved feeding them, with giant tweezers. :)

Let's call your floor "rustic" rather than "used", haha. Chair's cool, and it doesn't look a day over a week old.So red! :) The grown up household thing, I've never quite grasped it either. I'm 41 and I'm still playing house more than actually being domestically.... Domestic. :) Mom's always been so "together", she's set the bar too high.
...And now I want to photograph a toilet roll hanging off a spade, but we don't have a spade around, nor a place to stick it in the ground. But you're giving me some lovely imagery.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
...And now I want to photograph a toilet roll hanging off a spade, but we don't have a spade around, nor a place to stick it in the ground. But you're giving me some lovely imagery.
If you ever visit Aqua Zoo in Leeuwarden you're welcome to drive the extra 20 minutes or so to photograph my toilet roll, bathroom floor, guinea pigs, goats, mess in my kitchen or anything else you fancy.
No need for social interaction either, I'll happily go for a drink at my neighbours while you're busy, telling them of this cool photographer with a bit of social anxiety who wants to take pictures of my toilet paper :D

I mean, that story is sure to get me a couple of glasses of fine whisky and I'd be curious what a photographer would make of my place :happy:

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you ever visit Aqua Zoo in Leeuwarden you're welcome to drive the extra 20 minutes or so to photograph my toilet roll, bathroom floor, guinea pigs, goats, mess in my kitchen or anything else you fancy.
No need for social interaction either, I'll happily go for a drink at my neighbours while you're busy, telling them of this cool photographer with a bit of social anxiety who wants to take pictures of my toilet paper :D

I mean, that story is sure to get me a couple of glasses of fine whisky and I'd be curious what a photographer would make of my place :happy:
You know, that does sound halfway tempting.... But I'm too anxious to actually do it, haha! :p Sorry if you're missing out on fine whiskey now, because I am chicken ****. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I'm too anxious to actually do it, haha! :p Sorry if you're missing out on fine whiskey now, because I am chicken ****. ;)
Thought so, even without the social interaction. But don't worry, I think the story of this stranger wanting to take pictures of my toilet paper but being hindered too much by her anxiety to actually do it is worth a glass or two as well. Especially if I take my time explaining how this makes perfect sense, can't talk on an empty glass, can I :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving the Dutch banter. It has cheered me up! Loved the Salsa video, too.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @Blutit1802 about the Dutch banter, really enjoying it and learning a lot. Mr Google is going to be active today searching out all the different, interesting places to see. May even be tempted to catch the ferry across when our lockdown is loosened. Are ferries running I wonder?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought so, even without the social interaction. But don't worry, I think the story of this stranger wanting to take pictures of my toilet paper but being hindered too much by her anxiety to actually do it is worth a glass or two as well. Especially if I take my time explaining how this makes perfect sense, can't talk on an empty glass, can I :D
(Thanks for understanding my particular brand of insanity. :) )