Hypoglycemia reverse hyperglycemia

Swiff

Aslaam o alikum , hellow
I m type diabetic patient on pen insulin Apidra and tujeo since 1 year..
Recently in ramadan while i m in fast due to change in routine of insulin i have hypoglycemia 40mg around 1 pm in morning i chose not to break fast n continue slow my insulin level came to normal n when i checked it again around 6:30 pm before breaking fast my blood glucose is 239mg quite high....
I didn't understand what is this??? Could any one explain

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the site @Swiff

If you don’t treat a hypo then your liver will dump glucose into your blood stream hence the high reading, I appreciate you don’t want to break your fast but on the basis of medical grounds you should treat a hypo, can you drink something with sugar/glucose instead if this happens again ?

Reactions: Swiff

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wa alaikum assalaam, and welcome to the forum.
A belated Eid Mubarak!

This can have different causes. It could have been your liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream in response to your low blood sugar, it could have been that your dose of slow acting insulin is off, it could have been something else altogether, as joining in the Ramadan fast changes everything in the way you are eating, so everything is different.

I would like to urge you to please treat a hypo of 40 mg/dl at any time, even during fasting hours. Hypo's can be very dangerous and religious fasting is not meant to endanger your life.
Diabetics are exempt from Ramadan fasting if needed. I think you'd best speak to both your doctor and your mosque about it before Ramadan next year.

Wish you all the best!

Swiff

Hey? Thanks Both of you! For concern...
I too think of that way before ramazan that low is dangerous... even in past years i break my fast even in 70mg but this time i tried this with full alert ness but don't know how with an hour my level coming to normal....
Alhumdullilah! My fast are complete
N Eid celebration are complete too....
But as in eid my insulin routine changes again there is agin sudden up n down in my level.....
Again i got my blood glucose level 59 mg even after eating dinner but this time i have severe headache along with this....
After seeing this i take 1 glass of juice with medictaion n slept when woke up i have 229 mg....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Swiff

If you running high after a hypo event then 2 things could of happened - again your liver pumped some glucose and you could well of taken too much sugar to treat.

I treat my hypos with glucotabs - I take 3 tabs until I am above 72 - I also monitor carefully afterwards, if your going hypo after a meal then have you considered that you could be taking too much quick acting insulin - can you run through this with your diabetes team if you not comfortable changing your doses ?

Insulin requirements can and do change - it’s being aware of what causes these changes and carefully monitoring your levels to manage which is key.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey? Thanks Both of you! For concern...
I too think of that way before ramazan that low is dangerous... even in past years i break my fast even in 70mg but this time i tried this with full alert ness but don't know how with an hour my level coming to normal....
Alhumdullilah! My fast are complete
N Eid celebration are complete too....
But as in eid my insulin routine changes again there is agin sudden up n down in my level.....
Again i got my blood glucose level 59 mg even after eating dinner but this time i have severe headache along with this....
After seeing this i take 1 glass of juice with medictaion n slept when woke up i have 229 mg....
No offence, but I am pretty sure that people with health conditions and the elderly are not required to fast for Ramazan because of high risk to their wellbeing.

mmariyamm

Asalam alikum . Im mother of 7 yr type 1 , just wondering as to which age wud be best to start fasting ? Im assuming tht the usual religous laws do not apply to kids wid type 1 ..

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asalam alikum . Im mother of 7 yr type 1 , just wondering as to which age wud be best to start fasting ? Im assuming tht the usual religous laws do not apply to kids wid type 1 ..
You really need to figure this out for yourself and do what works best for your child. Fasting only works if basal insulin supply and requirement are closely matched. Achieving this in in children is difficult because of activity levels and hormonal activity. As growth hormone drops, sex hormones take over during puberty. That can go on well into the 20's.

Having said that, I would tell him fasting is optional. If he really wants to try it, do some basal testing first, adjust basal if necessary and monitor blood glucose closely.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wa alaikum assalaam.
You are right in thinking the usual religious laws don't apply to kids with type 1, they don't apply to adults with type 1 either. Religious fasting isn't meant to endanger people.

As far as I understand most religious people agree you shouldn't fast if fasting can seriously affect your health.
For a child with type 1, fasting can have dangerous medical consequences, please don't try anything without full agreement of your child's endocrinologist.

In the future, when your child is of an age to decide for themselves, provided they are very understanding of their diabetes treatment and their doctor agrees, they could choose to try fasting. But only up to the point where they are willing to break the fast if needed for a hypo.
Please don't make a child with type 1 fast before they can fully manage their diabetes by themselves.

All the best to you and your child!

Reactions: Emily95

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am T2 and taking toujeo and apidra, just out of interest what time a day do you take toujeo? I'm trying to work out some suggestions which may help you with out breaking the rules.