Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi guys,

As anyone on here tried to put on muscle mass, as all.

I want to build some muscle now, as I have lost a lot of weight. So want to put on some muscle mass.

I know bigger muscle help with Insulin resistance but I am worried about the extra eating. To gain the muscle mass.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’ve been doing weight training, though I’m in a calorie deficit, still a bit overweight.. so far I’ve been really happy with my results. I’m still low carb though. I protein load before my workout with a scoop of isopure low carb whey and an avocado in addition to a light lunch. No spikes from the food, but I spike lifting heavy.

I’ll probably have to rethink my diet when I’m at a normal weight, one thing is for certain, I won’t be adding carbs .

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to eat to excess - keep your protein high and carbs minimal. I’ll tag @Mbaker for his insights. Also look at people like Dr Shawn Baker.

I don’t actively look to ‘build mass’ but do weights workouts and long distance walking water fasted on a very low carb diet - seems to help with energy and performance.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No need to eat to excess - keep your protein high and carbs minimal. I’ll tag @Mbaker for his insights. Also look at people like Dr Shawn Baker.

I don’t actively look to ‘build mass’ but do weights workouts and long distance walking water fasted on a very low carb diet - seems to help with energy and performance.

I think Dr.Shawn baker is mostly active on twitter, but I don't use twitter.

@Andy_Warlow here is his website

https://shawn-baker.com/

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andy_Warlow - Provided you are fit and healthy, in your shoes what I would do would be to up whatever training you intend to use to gain mass, without changing anything else for now.

If you beging to lose weight, try to let it settle for a week or two, but if it continues, up the protein a bit. A bit is subjective of course, but when I wanted to stall weight loss. but maximise muscle retention, as an absolute baseline, initially I just had a bigger piece of steak, chicken or whatever we were having. When that didn't quite work out (I was still losing), I upped the fats a bit, in a controlled way - in the most bizarre units of BabyBel cheeses.

The only reason I chose those was they were readily, and consistently available (I was in the Tropics at the time, and some food options were a bit exotic). Once I found my balance point, I mixed and matched the foods and drinks to pretty much mirror those macros.

It's trial and error, to be taken in measured steps, in my view, but then I am a total data geek.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Andy_Warlow, this is gonna be long, as I want to refer back to this in future, and I have included female references, as I realised an unintentional bias towards male only references; I also thought ladies may want to take advice from people who understand their considerations.

Your rationale in my view is perfect for wanting to build muscle to improve insulin resistance; I did not realise this was what I was striving for as well, as initially I looked at it the wrong way in so far as lowering blood glucose via a bigger surface area for non-insulin uptake of blood sugar via the GLUT4 receptors.

The method I use is not to bulk in the traditional way. I do not touch protein shakes, starchy carbs, testosterone, pre or post meal anything. The marginal gains the "bro science" could potentially achieve is realistically for those at the competition end of the scale. I would ask why put fat on just to cut down. I have assumed that aesthetically a male gymnast is the type of look that would be required as opposed to a body building monster.

Practically I eat Keto Carnivore to fuel my work. In the last 2 weeks I have gone back to OMAD as I feel best on this protocol - I experiment, and would encourage testing between 2 and 1 meal. An example meal from 21st May 2020 is at the end. What is vital is to ensure you send the right signal to your muscles to encourage muscle protein synthesis. I would recommend Fat burn zone cardio or functional movement exercise (walking, martial arts, ball sports)...but going close to failure on the resistance side i.e. sending the "signal" (when you are fit enough) to grow. This can be done with calisthenics, but is mentally hard to push to failure (see Ted Naimen videos).

I opt for traditional weights. I would suggest researching a proper body building and power lifting program with progressive overload. Form over weight, is vital, as is pre-hab conditioning (almost all of the strength athletes wish they had done more with mobility).

Typical Training For Me:
  • Something everyday (being sensible however and respecting recovery)
    • Not too long after waking 50 push-ups in row
    • 7 to 10 miles a day of non-intensive walking (used to do intense, lost too much muscle mass)
      • This is halved and fasted or after a breakfast if 2 meals a day
      • Second walk after final meal
    • Either:
      • X3 Bar sets (multiple exercises). Seriously good portable gym or
      • Power lifting sets at home or the gym
    • Power lifting - go for it session (burn 600 - 1000 cals)
My lean muscle mass is now 72kg out of a total weight of 90 kg (I have cut down to 80 kg, which was not a good look for me, gaunt and my wife said no back***e. I currently have 15% body fat and have been in the 9's with lots of training, looking to settle around 12%. I will now be cutting to get down to around 86 kg. This is by the dropping to OMAD and increasing intensity of the exercise by around 5%, and swapping some walking for the static bike (this dumps weight off me like nothing else), sleeping better. I could decrease the food, but that doesn't appeal to me.

These are the guys / sites I would recommend for lean bulking:
https://ketogains.com (Luis Villasenor knows everthing)

https://ketosavage.com/

https://leangains.com/

Danny Vega:

Jon Andersen:

Dr. Gabrielle Lyon:

Others:
As above Dr Shawn Baker
Mark Bell
Nsima Inyang
Stan Efferding
Dr Ted Naimen
Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
Strong.Sistas
William Shewfelt (Power Ranger)
Rob Wolf
Professor Don Layman
Megsquats
Caitlin Weeks
KetogenicGirl
Maria Emmerich
Health Coach Kait
Leah Polaski
Mark Sissons
Brian Sanders (Peak Human Podcast)
Mike Mutzel
Thomas De Lauer
Stu Philips PHD

Inspiration I use:
Strength Wars (YouTube)
Eddie Hall
Stoltman Brothers
CrossFit Games / male and female athletes
Strong Man in general

My Fuel:
This was my 5 course 1 meal on Thursday in one sitting:

1. Keto chicken nuggets
a. Salad
b. Butternut Squash Fries​

2. Bacon (super air fried ans seasoned)

3. Steak

4. Dessert:
a. Macadamia nuts
b. Almond nuts
c. Pecan nuts
d. Walnuts
e. Brazil nuts
f. Keto lemon drizzle cake
g. Cinanmon biscuit
h. Almond biscuit
i. Greek Yogurt
j. 4 Berries
k. 2 x Coconut / Almond / Blueberry muffins​

KetoNuggets.JPG
Bacon.JPG

Steak.JPG

All Keto / Healthy Fat:
Dessert.JPG

Next morning
4.2.JPG

Last edited:

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
wow guys, Thanks for all the reposes

I have a lone reading a you tube, to watch now. . I am glad that it is doable.

@Mbaker thanks for all that info a lot to go through.,

This will be fun like @DCUKMod I am data geek so will have fun with this.

Look for fore ward to starting this, once I get my plan together.

Perminder1

Hi @Andy_Warlow, this is gonna be long, as I want to refer back to this in future, and I have included female references, as I realised an unintentional bias towards male only references; I also thought ladies may want to take advice from people who understand their considerations.

Your rationale in my view is perfect for wanting to build muscle to improve insulin resistance; I did not realise this was what I was striving for as well, as initially I looked at it the wrong way in so far as lowering blood glucose via a bigger surface area for non-insulin uptake of blood sugar via the GLUT4 receptors.

The method I use is not to bulk in the traditional way. I do not touch protein shakes, starchy carbs, testosterone, pre or post meal anything. The marginal gains the "bro science" could potentially achieve is realistically for those at the competition end of the scale. I would ask why put fat on just to cut down. I have assumed that aesthetically a male gymnast is the type of look that would be required as opposed to a body building monster.

Practically I eat Keto Carnivore to fuel my work. In the last 2 weeks I have gone back to OMAD as I feel best on this protocol - I experiment, and would encourage testing between 2 and 1 meal. An example meal from 21st May 2020 is at the end. What is vital is to ensure you send the right signal to your muscles to encourage muscle protein synthesis. I would recommend Fat burn zone cardio or functional movement exercise (walking, martial arts, ball sports)...but going close to failure on the resistance side i.e. sending the "signal" (when you are fit enough) to grow. This can be done with calisthenics, but is mentally hard to push to failure (see Ted Naimen videos).

I opt for traditional weights. I would suggest researching a proper body building and power lifting program with progressive overload. Form over weight, is vital, as is pre-hab conditioning (almost all of the strength athletes wish they had done more with mobility).

Typical Training For Me:
  • Something everyday (being sensible however and respecting recovery)
    • Not too long after waking 50 push-ups in row
    • 7 to 10 miles a day of non-intensive walking (used to do intense, lost too much muscle mass)
      • This is halved and fasted or after a breakfast if 2 meals a day
      • Second walk after final meal
    • Either:
      • X3 Bar sets (multiple exercises). Seriously good portable gym or
      • Power lifting sets at home or the gym
    • Power lifting - go for it session (burn 600 - 1000 cals)
My lean muscle mass is now 72kg out of a total weight of 90 kg (I have cut down to 80 kg, which was not a good look for me, gaunt and my wife said no back***e. I currently have 15% body fat and have been in the 9's with lots of training, looking to settle around 12%. I will now be cutting to get down to around 86 kg. This is by the dropping to OMAD and increasing intensity of the exercise by around 5%, and swapping some walking for the static bike (this dumps weight off me like nothing else), sleeping better. I could decrease the food, but that doesn't appeal to me.

These are the guys / sites I would recommend for lean bulking:
https://ketogains.com (Luis Villasenor knows everthing)

https://ketosavage.com/

https://leangains.com/

Danny Vega:

Jon Andersen:

Dr. Gabrielle Lyon:

Others:
As above Dr Shawn Baker
Mark Bell
Nsima Inyang
Stan Efferding
Dr Ted Naimen
Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
Strong.Sistas
William Shewfelt (Power Ranger)
Rob Wolf
Professor Don Layman
Megsquats
Caitlin Weeks
KetogenicGirl
Maria Emmerich
Health Coach Kait
Leah Polaski
Mark Sissons
Brian Sanders (Peak Human Podcast)
Mike Mutzel
Thomas De Lauer
Stu Philips PHD

Inspiration I use:
Strength Wars (YouTube)
Eddie Hall
Stoltman Brothers
CrossFit Games / male and female athletes
Strong Man in general

My Fuel:
This was my 5 course 1 meal on Thursday in one sitting:

1. Keto chicken nuggets
a. Salad
b. Butternut Squash Fries​

2. Bacon (super air fried ans seasoned)

3. Steak

4. Dessert:
a. Macadamia nuts
b. Almond nuts
c. Pecan nuts
d. Walnuts
e. Brazil nuts
f. Keto lemon drizzle cake
g. Cinanmon biscuit
h. Almond biscuit
i. Greek Yogurt
j. 4 Berries
k. 2 x Coconut / Almond / Blueberry muffins​

View attachment 41738 View attachment 41739

View attachment 41740

All Keto / Healthy Fat:
View attachment 41741

Next morning
View attachment 41742
How did you make blueberry muffins look yum

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How did you make blueberry muffins look yum

@Perminder1 here's the recipe

Keto Blueberry Muffuns (my daughters version):
Ingredients:
  • 110g of melted butter
  • 50g Coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp lemon zest
  • up to 3 tbsp of Stevia
  • 8 eggs
  • Blueberries

Instructions:
Tip - where possible use silicon cupcases or ensure cases are butter greased
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180c
  2. Mix 110g of melted butter with 50g Coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp lemon zest, up to 3 tbsp of Stevia (higher end for the non-diabetes, I do none of 1)
  3. Add 8 eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition
  4. Divide mixture into cupcake cases
  5. Press blueberries into each case
  6. Bake for 15 minutes

upload_2020-5-31_14-6-47.png

Reactions: Perminder1

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes