High BS for over a week and feeling unwell.

Emjay76

Hi, I have had very high blood sugar for over a week now, between 24mmol and 30mmol.
My sight has changed significantly, I’m extremely thirsty, feel like I have a wee infection and generally feel quite unwell.
My medication (glicizade and metformin) doesn’t seem to be working and cutting out sugar isn’t bringing it down.
I’m starting to get worried.
These are worse than the symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed 2 years ago.
Obviously it is a Sunday and my doctors surgery is closed.
Should I call 111 or wait until tomorrow?
Thank you,
Emma

Reactions: Wayne18000

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also don't eat any carbohydrate in any form. No cereal, grains anything like that.

Reactions: Emjay76
M

Member496333

I think you should seek medical help immediately. That is extremely high glucose. At the very least you need testing for ketones. High risk of DKA. Please dial 111.

Wayne18000

Hi, I have had very high blood sugar for over a week now, between 24mmol and 30mmol.
My sight has changed significantly, I’m extremely thirsty, feel like I have a wee infection and generally feel quite unwell.
My medication (glicizade and metformin) doesn’t seem to be working and cutting out sugar isn’t bringing it down.
I’m starting to get worried.
These are worse than the symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed 2 years ago.
Obviously it is a Sunday and my doctors surgery is closed.
Should I call 111 or wait until tomorrow?
Thank you,
Emma
Hi Emjay76. Yes call 111 and explain things to them. Have you tested for ketones?

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice Emjay76 not been online since ringing 111? Really hope all is well?

Emjay76

Hi all, just an update....
On Sunday morning I started being sick and my husband called 111 which then sent an ambulance. I had a temperature of 39.9 and I was going down hill fast. I was given an IV in the ambulance and antibiotics pushed through as they believed I had septicaemia. By the time I arrived at the emergency dept I was in total kidney failure and septic!
I was extremely ill and I spent the next 3 days in hospital. I am now unfortunately insulin dependent and have to inject 4 times a day. Apparently I was always supposed to have a blood glucose monitor on the nhs but one of the gps at my surgery told me I shouldn’t be monitoring my blood sugar!
The doctors at the hospital said I was lucky to be alive. If I had left it any longer I might not be here now!
Thanks for the 111 advice, it saved my life!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Wow terrifying! Hope you can get on top of the issue and get everything under control!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On Sunday morning I started being sick and my husband called 111 which then sent an ambulance. I had a temperature of 39.9 and I was going down hill fast. I was given an IV in the ambulance and antibiotics pushed through as they believed I had septicaemia. By the time I arrived at the emergency dept I was in total kidney failure and septic!
I was extremely ill and I spent the next 3 days in hospital. I am now unfortunately insulin dependent and have to inject 4 times a day. Apparently I was always supposed to have a blood glucose monitor on the nhs but one of the gps at my surgery told me I shouldn’t be monitoring my blood sugar!
The doctors at the hospital said I was lucky to be alive. If I had left it any longer I might not be here now!

Emjay - Thank you for letting us know you're now feeling a bit better and hopefully on the mend.

Be kind to yourself. It'll take a while to digest and get over all that's happened.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you pulled through...!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bg up to 30 feel lethargic but no other symptoms take no medication comments please

With blood sugars this high, I would definitely give your GP a call immediately. If you can't get in touch with him or her, call 111.

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Emjay'

Really pleased you are OK i bet that was really scarey to say the least hope you are OK now.
My blood sugars are up and down all the time
A1c test Monday teatime.

Sparklebrightisright.