Label magnifiers

Fearless36

So I’m struggling reading food labels and someone mentioned to me I could get hold of a label magnifier. I did a quick search and haven’t been able to find anything that does the job. A nurse told me that Diabetes UK sold them and I searched their website and gave them a call and they made me feel like I was going crazy.

has anyone found anything that helps with food labels? I mean I think a lot of food manufactures make the info so small anyhow but there must be something that works?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’m struggling reading food labels and someone mentioned to me I could get hold of a label magnifier. I did a quick search and haven’t been able to find anything that does the job. A nurse told me that Diabetes UK sold them and I searched their website and gave them a call and they made me feel like I was going crazy.

has anyone found anything that helps with food labels? I mean I think a lot of food manufactures make the info so small anyhow but there must be something that works?

I don't have such a think, but good old eBay have lots:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...fier.TRS0&_nkw=credit+card+magnifier&_sacat=0

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’m struggling reading food labels
If you have a smartphone you can simply make a picture of the label and zoom in on the picture. Or you could use an old fashioned magnifying glass.

edit: Skip the magnifying glass, those card magnifyers @DCUKMod linked to look way more practical! I had no clue something like that existed, very clever. (And now I want one, even though I can still read labels when the lighting is adequate :D)

Reactions: Perminder1

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don’t even need to take a photo, you can zoom the live image on your phone camera. I did buy some very cheap credit card magnifiers and the quality wasn’t good enough, the image was poor even though it was bigger, so just check that they look decent.

Now I just carry a pair of old reading specs with me, seemed the best option in the end.

Reactions: Perminder1

Perminder1

Reading glasses

Fearless36

@DCUKMod linked to look way more practical! I had no clue something like that existed, very clever. (And now I want one, even though I can still read labels when the lighting is adequate :D)[/QUOTE]
Do you have a link to these card magnifiers?

Fearless36

I did buy some magnifying glasses on amazon but they aren’t that portable and so I heard a nurse on my DAFNE course mention that some were available on Diabetes UK but I couldn’t see them anywhere

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod linked to look way more practical! I had no clue something like that existed, very clever. (And now I want one, even though I can still read labels when the lighting is adequate :D)
Do you have a link to these card magnifiers?[/QUOTE]

It's already in the post I made. Post 2 in this thread.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a card magnifier got mine from Amazon easy to carry round with you in a wallet or purse.

I have also noticed a tendency for manufacturers to arrange text and background in colours that make the text virtually unreadable I don't know what can be done about that.